Annulment of marriage ?

macca3248

I had been married for less than 3 months in Thailand to a Thai lady that I had known for over a year.

After marriage her attitude changed,and started demanding .

We came back to Australia,(her second visit) nothing was good enough,to cold,dont like flys,not interested in anything except being on phone to family and friends in Thailand.

She returned to Thailand where she is happy .

The time we spent together as a married couple was 89 days,can I have marriage annulled ?

The marriage could be voided (annulled) by a court if the spouses were not of legal age, they misrepresented their identities or where instances of fraud and/or duress would have caused the marriage not to take place.

Do not see any legal reason for 'I've changed my mind cos she acts different now'.

Full info here http://www.thailawforum.com/database1/divorce-law-thailand.html

• Like 1

If you can both agree to the split, it's as simple as going to her Amphur office and signing dissolution papers.

If you both can't agree to the split, it get dicey. At that point, consult a lawyer.

• Like 1

I agree with all the above comments,thankyou ,you have confirmed my thoughts on the matter .

My sister told me to become a fisherman ,Catch and Release !

My mate said "Join a library "

I am inclined to agree with both of them as well .

• Like 1

As everyone says just return back to the amphur where you were originally married, you just sign a form if both agree.

Assuming I everything can be agreed amicably.

As far as a financial settlement goes, she should be paying you for not giving the marriage a chance.

I'd be inclined to change my number and move on. Good luck, sorry it didn't work out for you

Many a marriage has been dissolved after taking the woman out of her beloved Thailand...Thai culture is intoxicating...it gets into the core of your being if you are a Thai...Thais love Thailand...other countries just do not measure up when it comes to family, friends, food, climate and culture...

• Like 1

Many a marriage has been dissolved after taking the woman out of her beloved Thailand...Thai culture is intoxicating...it gets into the core of your being if you are a Thai...Thais love Thailand...other countries just do not measure up when it comes to family, friends, food, climate and culture...

Really?

Of course you can...................................if you've got the Money.............coffee1.gif

Depends on which country the OP is talking about. If married in the West then annulment is not possible once the marriage has been consummated an suspect the marriage during the 89 days was consummated and consummated and consummated some more..If married in Thailand divorced at the stroke of a pen if zero Thai assets involved.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What claim has she on my assets ,I supported her,her 2 sons and both parents for 18 months .

Put your question on Thaivisa 'Ask the Lawyer' and get a correct legal opinion. Simple to type in your question and it's free.

again I need to ask why do so many farangs feel the need to get married, it seem like a disease, its all I ever hear here about marriage's going wrong .......................when will these farangs learn,

I was married in uk one time, good marriage good divorce but would never put myself in that position again.

ive lived here 15 years why not just live together that would keep her on her toes and when uve had enough of her and that will happen just walk away, that way you stay in control of your own life. that way you stay biggrin.png

• Like 1

again I need to ask why do so many farangs feel the need to get married, it seem like a disease, its all I ever hear here about marriage's going wrong .......................when will these farangs learn,

I was married in uk one time, good marriage good divorce but would never put myself in that position again.

ive lived here 15 years why not just live together that would keep her on her toes and when uve had enough of her and that will happen just walk away, that way you stay in control of your own life. that way you stay biggrin.png

Way to go catman... you da man ! Great attitude. Just walk away when you get tired of her. And we wonder why some of the girls treat us like cr@p.

Just sayin..... Mal.

• Like 2

Your story has be recounted 1,000 times @ least, on this forum, alone. How many people told you NOT to do it, before you did it? Aren't you a bit "long-in-the-tooth", to still be learning the lessons of life? Huh? Pay the fee for a consultation with an Immigration lawyer in Melbourne. The only thing you'll get on this forum, is a kaleidoscope of confusing opinions, from other posters. Again, get sound legal advice, from a professional, instead. Cheers,coffee1.gif

What claim has she on my assets ,I supported her,her 2 sons and both parents for 18 months .

She should only have claims on your assets for the past 3 months and any funds you both generated in the past 3 months.

As for supporting both her 2 sons and as well her parents you seem to have done this out your free will and you can write off those funds.

• Like 1

I dont think the OP mentioned whether she also wanted a divorce ?

You had known her over a year ? That means you were living together for over a year ? Living in the same country for over a year ?

Divorce, as others have pointed out is simple and straightforward with both consenting parties.

You took her to live in Oz ?? away from her home, I assume you took her 2 kids with you too ? Or you left them in Thailand with granny ?

She was homesick, needs time to settle in, of course she spent all the time on the phone and internet with family and friends back home.

If you want out of the marriage, do the right thing and give her and the family some cash, and next time. Try to think things through from her perspective rather than whining about your own.

Many,many marriages between Thai and Falangs work out just fine, except you dont hear about these as these guys dont spend their whole life on here p1ss whining and as someone else pointed out, no wonder some falangs get treated like they do by Thai girls. Some guys ought to man up a bit, accept a bit of responsibility and stop crying like babies.

• Like 1

You cannot get your marriage annulled but you can get a divorce. That will mean returning to Thailand, where you were married. It will also mean, unless you are able to reach an agreement with your wife for a divorce by mutual consent, going before a Thai court for a contested divorce, which could be very costly.

Or you can just sit there in Oz, down another tinnie, count your blessings.

I know which I would do.

Your marriage will be recognized in Australia regardless of whether or not you got married there. The good news is that in Australia you can file for divorce and be granted it in just over 12 months regardless of whether or not she agrees to it. Start the process immediately because the sooner you start the proceedings the less of a claim she will have on any of your assets. I can't speak for how the Thai side of things will work out for you.

Edited by saroq
  • Like 2