Phuket: Fire in Patong

Lite Beer

Phuket: Fire in Patong
Eakkapop Thongtub

1417840417_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: Firemen are battling a blaze in Patong.

Firemen this morning are battling to put out a fire at a building next to the Octopus Bar on Bangla Road in Patong, at the entrace to Soi Sea Dragon.

Several neighbouring buildings have been damaged in the blaze, including: Tomahawk Tattoo; Calista Massage; Smiley Bar; a pharmacy and tailor shop.

So far no injuries have been reported.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/fire-in-patong-50001.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-12-06

Lucky there are no injuries, as for the buildings, well they could use a 'touch up' anyway !!

I am in Patong now, for work, and what a dump this place has turned in to.

Bangla Rd should be demolished altogether and built up new from scratch to attract quality tourists, as I haven't seen a single one yet in over a week......only bus loads of Chinese, Russians and some trashy looking Europeans that look lost....pffff!!

Edited by luckyman

My understanding is that thai fire trucks often are not equiped with hundreds of gallons of water like fire trucks in western nations. Many have only extinguishers for small fires.

My guess (looking at their positions as if holding a hose) is that the guys in the pic are waiting for water to arrive, a horrible frustating experience.

(14 years inner city fighter)

Edited by simonuk

My understanding is that thai fire trucks often are not equiped with hundreds of gallons of water like fire trucks in western nations. Many have only extinguishers for small fires.

My guess (looking at their positions as if holding a hose) is that the guys in the pic are waiting for water to arrive, a horrible frustating experience.

When I first looked at that photo, I thought, why are they not putting out the fire ?

Patong fire station is very well equipped with multiple modern fire tenders and multiple water tankers to supply the fire trucks. Just go down behind Patong police station and witness how ritzy is the fire station.

When I first looked at that photo, I thought, why are they not putting out the fire ?

Patong fire station is very well equipped with multiple modern fire tenders and multiple water tankers to supply the fire trucks. Just go down behind Patong police station and witness how ritzy is the fire station.

I think we can rule out the possibility that they just don't care. It makes no sense.

I really don't know about that station but their cotton overalls don't look to ritzy to me. As with many things in Thailand style over substance rules. Shiney but poorly maintained kit? Do they have on site mechanics? Fire trucks are notoriously temperamental.

It takes time even for a well drilled experienced crew to site themselves , identify hazards and things that may kill you or others, assess , formulate an attack , position yourselves safely . Water then has to travel from the truck to the nozzle , it take a little time.

Perhaps the photo was taken during the brief period prior to water being available at the nozzle.

I don't know the exact details but I am sure that it's unfair to berate and belittle the guys when they deserve respect for doing a dangerous job for their communities for a low wage.

Watching the blaze (which is beyond any chance to be doused) instead of trying to rescue at least some of the motorbykes?

Fire"fighters" ?

I'm not sure it is fair to expect them to go running under those power cables with a fire raging so close to rescue motorbikes. Perhaps if the flames were going to make the tanks explode or something.

Watching the blaze (which is beyond any chance to be doused) instead of trying to rescue at least some of the motorbykes?

Fire"fighters" ?

I'm not sure it is fair to expect them to go running under those power cables with a fire raging so close to rescue motorbikes. Perhaps if the flames were going to make the tanks explode or something.

Tanks tend to be partially plastic so the melt and fuel runs off. I've been to hundreds of vehicle fires and never seen a tank explode. The reason they are stood back is probably because the can't be sure there are no cooking cylinder so inside. Not worth the risk if no persons are inside.

PHUKET: Police investigate cause of Bangla fire
Eakkapop Thongtub

1417862891_1-org.jpg

Several businesses along Bangla Rd suffered heavy losses in the fire.

PHUKET: Investigators are looking into the cause of the fire that damaged several business premises on Bangla Road in Patong this morning (Dec 6).

According to tuk tuk driver Sujin Mardosod, 39, the fire broke out at 10.30am at a clothing shop near the entrance to Soi Sea Dragon on Bangla Road.
“I saw smoke coming from the clothing shop and I called the police,” said Mr Sujin, who said he saw the blaze quickly spread to neighbouring buildings, including a tailor's, Smiley Bar, a pharmacy, Calista Massage, and Tomahawk Tattoo.

Seven firetrucks and three municipal water trucks struggled for about 45 minutes to bring the fire under control. They were hampered by difficulties reaching the burning buildings behind the tailor shop, which, along with the clothing store was completely gutted by the fire.

Patong Mayor Charlermluk Kepsap and Kathu District Chief Sayan Chanachaiwong later inspected the scene with Deputy Police Commander Col Pinit Sirichai.

Col Pinit said forensic police are working to determine the cause of the fire, which is estimated to have caused about B5 million of damage.

No injuries were reported.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/police-investigate-cause-of-bangla-fire-50006.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-12-07

Had there been a picture of fire fighters pulling away the bikes the comments would have read "there could be people in there", "priority should be fighting the fire", "make sure the fire does not spread first". Then the comments would make sense.

• Like 1

Had there been a picture of fire fighters pulling away the bikes the comments would have read "there could be people in there", "priority should be fighting the fire", "make sure the fire does not spread first". Then the comments would make sense.

Yeah you're absolutely right.

Plus its hard to know what information the firefighters had. I couldn't tell from the first photo that there was other larger structure behind the first row of shops.

People will always comment on things they don't really understand.