Suvarnabhumi Airport enhance services to travellers – new automatic taxi kiosks now open

Lite Beer

What a disaster of a system! I have been through 3 times in the last 2 weeks and every time it has been a shit fight. Long queues do move but sooo much slower than the old system

Funny only 2 of the 5 computer dispatch units were working, the other 3 just had the Windows 7 logo (fail). The attendant just presses the button for you and hands you a ticket. I COULD DO THAT. In the past you would tell them where you were going and they would write it or tell the driver in Thai.

Which Minister(s) got the kickbacks for this installation?

Yes in the past, if I driver really didn't know they could explain it to him or use another driver for this customer. Now this is a big step back.

I don't see the point either. Now that the government has officially stated that taking a taxi from the Level 4 departures area is acceptable, why do people continue to go to the taxi queue downstairs when it takes longer, it is more hassle, you don't get to select the taxi you want and it costs more for the "service"?

People keep saying that it takes longer but I must be lucky as every time I go to the official taxi line I'm in a taxi with-in a few minutes, whatever time I arrive, morning, noon or night. I've even posted photos here before to show how short the queue has been for me, for the posters who keep insisting there is always a long wait for a taxi as it is simply not true, hasn't been for several years. I'm sure at times there must be long lines but even last week when both arrival halls were full, I still only waited a few minutes.The point of paying the 50 baht is at least there is some record kept of your taxi. As for selecting the taxi you want, does this mean you interview all the drivers to find one to your liking? The taxis at departures have to be authorized to queue there so at least there is some form of vetting. Yes, I know you still get some dodgy drivers but at least there is a record kept if things really do go wrong. From arrivals you are on your own.

People keep saying that it takes longer but I must be lucky as every time I go to the official taxi line I'm in a taxi with-in a few minutes, whatever time I arrive, morning, noon or night. I've even posted photos here before to show how short the queue has been for me, for the posters who keep insisting there is always a long wait for a taxi as it is simply not true, hasn't been for several years. I'm sure at times there must be long lines but even last week when both arrival halls were full, I still only waited a few minutes.The point of paying the 50 baht is at least there is some record kept of your taxi. As for selecting the taxi you want, does this mean you interview all the drivers to find one to your liking? The taxis at departures have to be authorized to queue there so at least there is some form of vetting. Yes, I know you still get some dodgy drivers but at least there is a record kept if things really do go wrong. From arrivals you are on your own.

I suppose I was just assuming that Level 4 was quicker, since there is zero queue there, with zero minutes wait. Also, some people have commented in this thread about queues, such as with 20 people in it. At Level 4, there is no queue whatsoever.

I select a taxi that looks to be in good shape, clean, has seat belts, etc. and size up the driver as well. No, I do not conduct an interview, but looks can tell a lot. At least I can accept or refuse a beat up old taxi or a driver that looks like he has been on an all-nighter with ya bah. I am not bothered with a 50 baht surcharge, but I am happy to give a 50 baht tip directly to the driver if he is professional and helpful. I like that better than giving it to AOT.

The taxis at departures are not allowed to queue there, nor do they do through some sort of authorisation. They are only allowed in if they have a passenger, and are only allowed to wait briefly for a fare. If they do not get a fare, I have seen the guards waive them off.

Taking a taxi from departures is the same as taking a taxi anywhere in BKK. Yes, you are on your own. Generally, I have found the taxis at departures to be quite pleasant and happy to have a fare back in to the city and never had a problem, with this going back many years.

In the end, I am happy now that the government has officially authorised taxis collecting passengers at Level 4, and we all have a choice between that or going to the taxi queue downstairs.

Edited by bubba

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose I was just assuming that Level 4 was quicker, since there is zero queue there, with zero minutes wait. Also, some people have commented in this thread about queues, such as with 20 people in it. At Level 4, there is no queue whatsoever.

I select a taxi that looks to be in good shape, clean, has seat belts, etc. and size up the driver as well. No, I do not conduct an interview, but looks can tell a lot. At least I can accept or refuse a beat up old taxi or a driver that looks like he has been on an all-nighter with ya bah. I am not bothered with a 50 baht surcharge, but I am happy to give a 50 baht tip directly to the driver if he is professional and helpful. I like that better than giving it to AOT.

The taxis at departures are not allowed to queue there, nor do they do through some sort of authorisation. They are only allowed in if they have a passenger, and are only allowed to wait briefly for a fare. If they do not get a fare, I have seen the guards waive them off.

Taking a taxi from departures is the same as taking a taxi anywhere in BKK. Yes, you are on your own. Generally, I have found the taxis at departures to be quite pleasant and happy to have a fare back in to the city and never had a problem, with this going back many years.

In the end, I am happy now that the government has officially authorised taxis collecting passengers at Level 4, and we all have a choice between that or going to the taxi queue downstairs.

Can someone direct me to the link where the Govt approved the use of passenger collection at level 4? I haven't caught up on this.

Edited by ctrunfree

This was also quoted in other newspapers back in June:

The second group is taxis in Bangkok and neighouring provinces that drop off passengers at the airport. There are about 110,000 taxis, around 70,000 of them operated by 130 taxi cooperatives and 13 radio taxi operators.

Normally, these taxis will drop passengers at the departure hall on the fourth floor of the airport and are not allowed to pick up customers. Under the new system, these cabs would be allowed to pick up passengers immediately after a drop off, but could not park and wait for a fare.

Maj Gen Niturndorn said there would be no more mafia chasing taxis away on the fourth floor. Cab drivers would have to depend on luck, whether they can pick up passengers or not, after dropping off outbound travellers. If no passenger flagged them down, they would have to depart.

Hope it's OK to include this link:

http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-news-taxi-mafia-clean-out-at-suvarnabhumi-airport-46926.php#sthash.AMilKy5T.dpuf

Have they removed, or modified, the gates which were installed a while ago, ostensibly to prevent people from exiting on level 4 (Departures) out to the outer taxi drop-off curb?

I understand that it is possible to traverse these gates as the opening is large enough to walk through, but if you have a few big bags on a trolley, I'm not certain you could get to the curb without unloading your bags, and hoisting them over the barricade.

Have they removed, or modified, the gates which were installed a while ago, ostensibly to prevent people from exiting on level 4 (Departures) out to the outer taxi drop-off curb?

I understand that it is possible to traverse these gates as the opening is large enough to walk through, but if you have a few big bags on a trolley, I'm not certain you could get to the curb without unloading your bags, and hoisting them over the barricade.

The gates are still there, but who knows why they have not removed them now that they have reversed course and stated that it is officially OK to take a taxi from the departures area. Some of them work both ways, while some are still one-way heading in to the terminal area. Even for the one-way ones, it is quite easy to take a full baggage trolley through them, so no worries there. You would not have to hoist anything over the barricades if you can fit it on a standard airport trolley.

I don't see the point either. Now that the government has officially stated that taking a taxi from the Level 4 departures area is acceptable, why do people continue to go to the taxi queue downstairs when it takes longer, it is more hassle, you don't get to select the taxi you want and it costs more for the "service"?

Perhaps because if everyone used the 4th floor taxis, you'd never be able to get one there- for all the others in front of you and nobody managing the queue? I'm picturing that disaster in my mind...

I like the new system downstairs. It's faster and easier than the old system. 3 trips through the system, and 8 minutes, then 30 seconds and then no wait at all are my 3 time to taxi numbers. All turned on the meter without asking. (Though, on Christmas day, I had the guy shut off the meter and offered 500 baht for a 200 baht trip- lesson learned on how to make sure you have a happy driver)

If anyone needs translation or destination help, there is an information counter on the wall of the terminal, about 10-15 meters from the new taxi kiosks. My one suggestion would be that they make that counter more noticeable so tourists and newbies can see it and get them to write down the information before they get into the taxi queue. Once in the queue, it's too late.

Edited by impulse

Perhaps because if everyone used the 4th floor taxis, you'd never be able to get one there- for all the others in front of you and nobody managing the queue? I'm picturing that disaster in my mind...

I like the new system downstairs. It's faster and easier than the old system. 3 trips through the system, and 8 minutes, then 30 seconds and then no wait at all are my 3 time to taxi numbers. All turned on the meter without asking. (Though, on Christmas day, I had the guy shut off the meter and offered 500 baht for a 200 baht trip- lesson learned on how to make sure you have a happy driver)

If anyone needs translation or destination help, there is an information counter on the wall of the terminal, about 10-15 meters from the new taxi kiosks. My one suggestion would be that they make that counter more noticeable so tourists and newbies can see it and get them to write down the information before they get into the taxi queue. Once in the queue, it's too late.

Let's hope everyone doesn't catch on to taking taxis from departures, then. Glad we have the choice now.

My last three taxi trips out of departures were no wait time at all, no wait time at all, and no wait time at all. Had the taxi and driver of my choice, and all used the meter without asking for it.