Advice re Ubon Ratchathani

ubonr1971

The wife and I are thinking of relocating to Ubon R and thus seek advice about all matters concerning the following:

- Good hospitals? Are any high class ones similar to bkk standards?

- Schools? Any quality private primary / international schools?

- Glad that there are flights to bkk. Any comments on the service?

- Does NCA bus go to bkk. If so how long does it take?

- My wife is a Dentist. We want to open a clinic after settling in. I presume like any big city in Issan- that there are numerous existing clinics? Any comments are appreciated. Is it a good place for a dental clinic. I think any large city with plenty of uni students will be suitable- based on how much money some of my wifes bosses are making with their private clinics.

- I currently teach at a govt uni. How many uni's are in Ubon R? Is it an easy place to find a teaching job?

- We will rent for a few years. Are there any high end villages where one can rent a house? If so, what are the names of the villages? We live in a smaller city in Issan atm and pay 8000 baht a month for small new house. How much is it to rent a 3 b/r 2 bath newish house in Ubon in a high class village- the ones where all the houses look the same and there are barking rat dogs every second house?

- Surrounding tourist sites? We once passed through Ubon on our way to the border area and camped near the Mekong. It was very nice. Are there any other nice spots for camping and outdoor activities / temples?

Please comment on any of the above if you have the time or inclination.

many thanks

I will second ubon rak as the best hospital in town, but can be $$ for big white boys. Believe there are 3 gov uni's in town. Might concider business near the Central mall area. New BMW dealership just opened near there too. Was looking at the D and D property website rentals saw a 3 bdrm for 7 k in Warin moobaan 3 near Warin hospital. As for the Soi dogs, don't think there is anywhere without them.

neither you or your wife will be allowed to work in thailand, hospitals are fairly goodbutnot in the class of Bangkok.no good english schools, in a word do not come here expecting anythung other than rural living. the town is primarily for retirees and people who have lived in thailand for a long time and know the thai language. whatever gave you the idea of coming here in the first place. stick to the big cities and don't expect to do any legal work.

- No hospitals similar to Bangkok standards. Most agree that Ubon Rak is the best though. I've had a couple bad experiences with Rajavej. They almost overdosed my son and gave poor care to some basic cuts from a motorcycle fall to a relative. Ubon Rak almost gave my son someone elses IV & meds and didn't even want to give my wife a blood test when we found out she was pregnant. They totally missed her gestational diabetes which is pretty simple to detect. For basic stuff we go to Ubon Rak. Everything else is a drive or flight to Bumrungrad.

- Schools are horrible. The least bad is Youth Exchange School (YES).

- Plenty of flights to Bangkok. Air Asia used to fly to Phuket and Chiang Mai direct from Ubon. I think they will bring those flights back eventually. Airport is a breeze to get in and out of.

- NCA does go to Bangkok. You can get to Phuket or Chiang Mai as well on busses from Ubon.

- Quite a few dentists. I haven't settled on one yet. Let us know when you set up shop.

- Can't comment on getting a uni job but there are loads of college students here and the universities are building new facilities right and left. Rajabhat, Ubon Uni, NE Polytech, Ratchathani University and a nursing college are the big 5. There are several other small vocational schools.

- I have a map here of every moobaan I could find plus links to many companies. The higher end moobaans are spread out all over but the area around the Central Mall is about to explode with housing. It will soon be the place to be and likely a good location for a business. I would be shocked if you find the type of home you want under 10k. A 3bed, 3bath in the nicest moobaan I know of was going for 24k recently. Finding rentals in Ubon is difficult. We've been looking around for a friend. I'd say you're looking at 15k minimum for rent based on what my wife has been finding in her research.

- I'm slowly working on visiting every natural spot in Ubon I can find and have many reports and maps on my website. You can also be at Angkor Wat in 4 hours and sipping fresh coffee on the Bolaven Plateau in 3 which is kind of nice.

PM me if you have any more specific questions.

Hey, thanks for the link to your website - I've pinned to my shortcut bar and will go through it when things have slowed down for me. Spent a good deal of time in Warin until my gf decided to move back to her home village in Amnat Charoen province, about an hour from Ubon. When I do finally decide to make the real move to Thailand, it will probably be to Ubon. In the meantime, I'm up that way every couple of months or less. Funnily enough, when I first visited Ubon with a friend back in 2002, I found it to be more boring than other cities in Isaan... it was my least favourite (so, of course, I had to tie up with a girl from that part of the country!) But the place has grown on me---or either it or I have changed---and I quite like it now. Thanks again.

Ubon is THE up and coming city in LOS. House building is massive in every corner of the city. Ubon is also a Uni town, catering for many subjects. Land prices are rocketing because of the influx of folk from other areas.

Big increase in big buck commercial enterprises too, cos I think they know Ubon will be the hub for Isaan folk.

Ye big city, bigger than KHon KAEN that have 4-5 top hospitals, universities etc. Obon and Korat both together, they have lot more than Khon Kaen. Also big army and Air Force base there. Plenty busses to anywhere, Bangkok about 4 - 5hrs. Good flights to Bangkok Don MUANG. I would say good choice for what you want to setup.

I went to a Wat that had a huge elephant staue as the gate, you drive in under the belly. Also a Wat that is shaped like a boat, near a lake. And a floating restaurant place, you rent a floating room, order food. Nice place to visit but I don't want to live there. It's probably okay if you're working.

I went to a Wat that had a huge elephant staue as the gate, you drive in under the belly. Also a Wat that is shaped like a boat, near a lake. And a floating restaurant place, you rent a floating room, order food. Nice place to visit but I don't want to live there. It's probably okay if you're working.

I don't work and been in Ubon for years. I have witnessed the big changes, I also know where everything is where a visitor will not. It's all here.

That reminds me, snooker Wednesday in a private room looked after by the lasses........laugh.png

Beer on tap of course...........clap2.gif

I sent our Children to Assumption School there as boarders, certainly shaped em up being miles from Grannie.Lived out by the Uni Warrin side about 20 years ago,loved the place,.Moon River, Camping Park the floating eating places mentioned. Robinsons was about all one had back then.Im more happy down South by the sea but enjoy going back for a few days to see our Son.

• Like 1

Hi Ubonr1971,

Just a few thoughts on the social side of life.

Last Thursday I took my grandchildren to the cinema to watch the latest 3D film: "Big Hero 6" It was showing at one of the 3 main cinemas here and all five of us enjoyed it. The language was Thai and there were no sub titles but I was able to enjoy it. The grandchildren are now full of the catch phrases that they picked up from the film. These cinemas often have English language films.

On Saturday three of us went to the municipal swimming pool in Warin, as usual. There are other pools in Ubon but we go to this one because their father, my son-in-law likes to attend the sauna in the temple next door to the pool. Saturday has developed into a regular day out.

I've more or less stopped drinking alcohol but there are 4 or 5 "Falang" bars which cater for we foreigners, talking of which, where I live should be re-christened "Little Amsterdam".There are at least 4 Danish guys living within 100 yards of my house. One of them runs a falang cafe with steak, salads and french fried.

Yes, Ubon is certainly the "in" place.

Granddad

That last cafe you mention sounds like N-Joy, but besides T&C, Wrong Way and Peppers is there another?

For me, Ubon is mostly the INdoor place for me at night.

Hi Ubonr1971,

Last Thursday I took my grandchildren to the cinema to watch the latest 3D film: "Big Hero 6" It was showing at one of the 3 main cinemas here and all five of us enjoyed it. The language was Thai and there were no sub titles but I was able to enjoy it. The grandchildren are now full of the catch phrases that they picked up from the film. These cinemas often have English language films.

On Saturday three of us went to the municipal swimming pool in Warin, as usual. There are other pools in Ubon but we go to this one because their father, my son-in-law likes to attend the sauna in the temple next door to the pool. Saturday has developed into a regular day out.

I've more or less stopped drinking alcohol but there are 4 or 5 "Falang" bars which cater for we foreigners, talking of which, where I live should be re-christened "Little Amsterdam".There are at least 4 Danish guys living within 100 yards of my house. One of them runs a falang cafe with steak, salads and french fried.

Granddad

That last cafe you mention sounds like N-Joy, but besides T&C, Wrong Way and Peppers is there another?

For me, Ubon is mostly the INdoor place for me at night.

Hi Ubonr1971,

Granddad

A list of Hospitals has been given chummy...........thumbsup.gif