Farang Credit Cards?

My old lady has a WP and has been in country for a few months. She wants a credit card so she can book flights, hotels, shop online, etc... She's a farang, and I'm a tourist farang so me getting one is a no-go. Any ideas in whereas he could apply and most likely be approved? We'd even open a secured credit card account if that's an option.

She's using grandma's now. But we are grown ups now so we'd like to get one under her name locally. We've lived in a handful of countries over the last decade and have always been able to get a CC.

Protect your neck from the RNC.

She's using grandma's now. But we are grown ups now so we'd like to get one under her name locally. We've lived in a handful of countries over the last decade and have always been able to get a CC.

Protect your neck from the RNC.

Is this a USA centric comment? This is an International board, so many won't have an idea as to what you might mean.

Credit cards in Thailand are poor value as compared to what is available in my country.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/CreditCards/Pages/CreditCardPromotion.aspx

• Like 2

Hi, with your old lady only having a work permit for just a few months, then I can't see her getting a credit card just yet. Most banks want to see a work permit for longer than that, payslips for at least 6 months and other documents. I guess you can try, but if It were me, I would hold off a little longer.

Hope this has helped you.

• Like 1

OK -- I'm going to be a little sensitive here. I'm an "old lady". It's not PC to call one's wife "the old lady". If a woman really wants a credit card, why doesn't she post or (better yet, as suggested already) why she think of this before she left her home country?

• Like 2

Oh, and while I'm at at -- the other high horse came just arrived. Not every foreigner is a "farang", The OP said something about how his GF's been using her grandmother's credit card to transact business in Thailand. I would expect back in granny's day the term "farang" wasn't used in polite company.

Nowadays it isn't just white=skinned foreigners of Eureapean origin who need credit cards. I know others of Asian, South American, and Australian origin origin who would benefit from a loan.

To obtain CC from Thai Banks, typically foreigner need to produce 6 months to one year old WP and payslips. There is no exception to obtain "true" CC, I mean use bank's money.

Another way is "secured" CC, when foreigner can obtain CC with deposit to locked account in Bank. The credit line available can be from 90% to 100% from deposit amount. Secured CC can be done on "lowest' type of NON-VISA such as NON-ED without any WP. This will be a normal CC, except bank protecting his money using non-working foreigner deposit.

And third way is AMEX card, which is AMEX promote along foreign Bangkok Bank customers. You don't need to have CC with Bangkok Bank, just normal savings account and be a registered Frequient Fly member of Thai Air. AMEX will give their card for working foreigner or for anyone who have 3 mil + baht in accounts in the thai banks.

• Like 1

To obtain CC from Thai Banks, typically foreigner need to produce 6 months to one year old WP and payslips. There is no exception to obtain "true" CC, I mean use bank's money.

Another way is "secured" CC, when foreigner can obtain CC with deposit to locked account in Bank. The credit line available can be from 90% to 100% from deposit amount. Secured CC can be done on "lowest' type of NON-VISA such as NON-ED without any WP. This will be a normal CC, except bank protecting his money using non-working foreigner deposit.

And third way is AMEX card, which is AMEX promote along foreign Bangkok Bank customers. You don't need to have CC with Bangkok Bank, just normal savings account and be a registered Frequient Fly member of Thai Air. AMEX will give their card for working foreigner or for anyone who have 3 mil + baht in accounts in the thai banks.

Thank you very much for help.

Oh, and while I'm at at -- the other high horse came just arrived. Not every foreigner is a "farang", The OP said something about how his GF's been using her grandmother's credit card to transact business in Thailand. I would expect back in granny's day the term "farang" wasn't used in polite company.

Nowadays it isn't just white=skinned foreigners of Eureapean origin who need credit cards. I know others of Asian, South American, and Australian origin origin who would benefit from a loan.

Who said she was white? Who says I'm white? Are you sure I'm the one being politically insensitive? Thanks for answering my original question, it will surely be useful. Edited by Skyboogie
  • Like 1

Hi, with your old lady only having a work permit for just a few months, then I can't see her getting a credit card just yet. Most banks want to see a work permit for longer than that, payslips for at least 6 months and other documents. I guess you can try, but if It were me, I would hold off a little longer.

Hope this has helped you.

This was helpful. Thanks.

She should have got A a card from her own country before coming to Thailand.

I guess so huh? But what if she hasn't lived in her home country for many years? What is she to do then? Obtaining a credit card has never been a problem in our several years abroad.

You contribution to this thread is appreciated and I will let her know that "thrilled" said she should have got A a card from her own country before coming to Thailand.

• Like 1

Who said she was white? Who says I'm white? Are you sure I'm the one being politically insensitive? Thanks for answering my original question, it will surely be useful.

I mistaken thought farang applied to all foreigners.

Many folks in this forum have significant others of Thai nationality. I was merely using the widely used and inoffensive term farang so the other contributors could give me sound advice. Thanks for answering my original question, it will surely be useful.

It seems that you are from the U.S. ... just judging from your 'lingo'. If you and your wife are from America -- have a social security number and a street address to which things can be mailed in America -- then here is a type of solution...

If American you each could have.... an

American Express - Bluebird Pre-Paid Debit/ATM Card... which is actually a full blown checking account. You can enroll on line with the above requirements. No opening deposit required. Bluebird has a complete on line account service. Money can be transferred to Bluebird by another Debit Card from a regular bank (in your name) or directly from you checking / savings account by ACH transfer. The card is low fee to no fee for various transactions. It gets high Baht/Dollar Exchange Rates at Bangkok Bank ATM. There are too many features to mention.

If anyone - relative - or otherwise in America provides money for you - they can get a bluebird card of their own - easily done - and do card to card transfers of money to your card and vice - versa...

Money can be loaded into the card via cash at any Walmart customer service window.

The Bluebird card works great on line for booking hotels and airline tickets.

Go to - https://www.bluebird.com/ scroll down just a tad and read about the large array of features.

Not a credit card -- but works better than a Secured Credit Card in my opinion.

Up to you...

P.S. Do not make mention that you are overseas... Have the card mailed to someone you know will allow using their address and will forward the card to you.

This may be an easier way than depending on a relative or friend

www.earthclassmail.com

Edited by JDGRUEN
  • Like 2

As posted already. The bank will want at least 6 months payslips and work permit before even considering the application.

Another option is to open a savings account at Kasikorn Bank. You can upgrade the card into a web card at any Kasikorn ATM which will allow you to use it like a credit card for purchases online but the cash is debited direct from your account.

Sent from my ASUS_T00I using Tapatalk 2

This is one of the best options- it works really well for Internet shopping, hotels, flights etc.

Of course it is more like a Debit card, so if you want to run up a debt on a credit card then not so suitable ?

As posted already. The bank will want at least 6 months payslips and work permit before even considering the application.

Another option is to open a savings account at Kasikorn Bank. You can upgrade the card into a web card at any Kasikorn ATM which will allow you to use it like a credit card for purchases online but the cash is debited direct from your account.

Sent from my ASUS_T00I using Tapatalk 2

This is one of the best options- it works really well for Internet shopping, hotels, flights etc.

Of course it is more like a Debit card, so if you want to run up a debt on a credit card then not so suitable ?

Not looking to run up debt. We have the resources to only spend what we earn. A secured card would be fine.