Driving lessons for Students in International Schools

polapatl

Hi all,

I'm thinking of opening up a driving school specifically catered to the myriad of International School students in Bangkok but would first like to get a feel for the market.

Those of you with children in International Schools, does this sound like something you would be interested in? Or would you just teach them how to drive yourself?

What about general, on-topic, non-trolling, helpful opinions from all the others out there?

Thank you. Paul.

Well, good thing I'm Thai and bilingual and have driven overseas as well as here for many, many years.

Don' think you can do that as a business, fairly certain it's on the "Thai can do list" and it's their driving laws anyway making any non Thai unqualified by their standards.

Well, good thing I'm Thai and bilingual and have driven overseas as well as here for many, many years.

Don' think you can do that as a business, fairly certain it's on the "Thai can do list" and it's their driving laws anyway making any non Thai unqualified by their standards.

If you really are Thai then you will know that there are already a "myriad" of driving schools catering specifically to those wanting to learn to drive. What is so different about international school students that they need a specific driving school?

Most (foreign?) students of driving age here will probably learn to drive in their own country and wouldn't need a Thai driving school.

Perhaps a better angle would be to encourage students to apply for a motorcycle licence and become legal on the road.

I would guess that the vast majority of 15+ (legal age of gaining a m/c licence for lower cc bikes) students use a motorbike and a substantial proportion (no idea of the numbers) do not have a licence.

One reason being the length of time needed in taking a test, even though it could be achieved during school holiday time, but other activities usually take precedence (e.g. sleeping!!), as well as the current lack of enforcement of needing a licence.

Maybe act as a link between schools and Transport Department with a course of lessons / tests with block booking at out of school hours. Push the safety angle and aim for all schools, not just International. Although likely that, if any, only the international and maybe some of the top Thai private schools may express an interest.

Excellent idea. Good if you could get theory lessons introduced into the school curriculum, from say age 16, but good luck with that. I understand the government is keen to increase the national driving standard and reduce the ridiculously high KSI figures. (Killed & Seriously Injured).

IIRC students in Thailand must get their licence first THEN learn to drive as there is no provisional licence available?

I doubt any qualifications or government registration is necessary to become a Driving Instructor in Thailand, however it would be a good idea to take up whatever is available, at very least an Advanced Driving qualification. Its very important you know your own driving is at an excellent standard in order to remove the possibility of teaching the students your own existing bad habits. (like for instance yanking the handbrake on using the ratchet instead of holding the button in and sitting with a foot on the brakes in stationary traffic in the dark and wet blinding the driver behind).

I will be in Thailand soon, if you would like to meet up to talk about this PM me.

(I was a Government Approved Driving Instructor in the UK for 24 years and held a RoSPA Gold for 10 years)

Edited by Lancashirelad

Before you get to Driving Lessons you need to have the people, and I mean all the people concerned which also includes the Police to Learn the Road Rules. In this country this should be a course conducted in the Schools and Taught by the Police, But First you Must teach the Police. This was done in Australia 60 years ago and started so kids who rode Pushbikes knew the road rules. The people here think that if you are on a Pushbike or Motorbike you are exempt from the Rules of the Road. Up here in Mukdahan it is common place to see the Police on their Motorbikes riding down the road on the wrong side towards the traffic or making turns at intersections on the wrong side of the road and they do the same in their Pickups and Highway Patrol cars as well. Follow a Highway Patrol car down the Highway and watch if they ever put on their Indicators when they Change Lanes, you rarely see it happen. So the Source of the problem starts with them. It's the same when they put up road blocks in town to check for Helmets and Licenses. Most times it will be in a position where the Gutters are marked Red and White, which means NO stopping or parking and most specifically at the City Centre Roundabout which is ridiculous. I have been trying to have a course instigated in Mukdahan to firstly teach the Police the Road Rules and then have Them teach in the Schools, but so far to no evail.