Thai rice checking reveals only 10% of total 17 million tons meet quality specs

webfact

Do not fret my friends, this is how it's done, for the 10% top quality rice they will ask a 1,000 baht

a kilo, and the rest, they will give 10% discount, how come you ask? coz I have seen so many times where the last few leftovers unsold units, pieces or items, they always put the price up, to them, it makes

perfect logics...

I guess that means a 90% loss on a 700 billion baht investment. Where did all the money go?

That is a very good question Waza. I'm sure the former PM, Chair of the Rice Policy Committee and her erstwhile Finance Minister will be able to provide detailed audited accounts which will answer it. whistling.gif

• Like 2

Can rice be used in place of dirt? Expect not. But if it could, the govt would have plenty of material to build earth dam reservoirs across the country....should help minimize the effect of droughts.

It'll make great compost.

Anyone have any idea how much physical space 17 million tons of rice would occupy???

Enough rice to fill ................ ?????

A cargo train around 400 miles long. I worked this out some time back using the figures that were given for the supposed high speed trains the PTP were talking about.

As I remember, the biggest grain silo plant in the world holds 300,000 tones.

Something like this....

auvancouver.jpg

• Like 1

10% of 17 million is 1.7 million and not 3 million as stated in the article.

Math, and logic, is not a Thai strong point.

The other day I was in 7/11. Bought some items whose total came out to 513 baht. I handed the teller 1000 baht, then hastily added 'I have 20 baht' and handed her a 20 baht note.

The teller was absolutely dumbfounded and had no clue what to do. Fortunately, the other clerk was not so useless.

• Like 1

10% of 17 million is 1.7 million and not 3 million as stated in the article.

Math, and logic, is not a Thai strong point.

The other day I was in 7/11. Bought some items whose total came out to 513 baht. I handed the teller 1000 baht, then hastily added 'I have 20 baht' and handed her a 20 baht note.

The teller was absolutely dumbfounded and had no clue what to do. Fortunately, the other clerk was not so useless.

All down to the quality and length of education. Mathematics is touched upon to some degree but logic does not even get a cursory glance. Because of the face issue, not being able to give an answer (correct or not) drives many people to jump to the most bizarre conclusions. In all fairness, it is often the same in India.

Looks like Yinluk's and her big brother's rice scheme didn't work very well.

I think it worked the way they wanted to work. Make it a massive lost and people won't fret over the small amount.

Pad the stock with bad quality rice bought from elsewhere, like old stock from other warehouses and other neighboring countries. Check, they got away with oil smuggling, I don't think rice is too hard to do.

Just from the missing 200,000 ton, wouldn't that make it about 90 million usd? And I am sure they made even more money swapping the good rice with the old stock. They could have made more but they got caught.

Never the less it was another successful Thaksin scam. Create mistrust against your fellow Thais, so they will not focus on you.

Jail YS! And let's see what he will do.

How on earth are they going to shift that lot?

Only 200,000 missing ? Isn't that a lot less than claimed ?

The Junta are going tot have to make a swift decision as to what's going to happen to this poor rice, they're not going to get 15,000 baht per tonne for gash, i doubt they'll even get 5000 for it .

Tough decision are needed to solve this rice mountain.

It doesn't matter what the rice is like!

The Junta were always gonna say it was ALL spoiled, sell it out the back door, then claim Yingluck was responsible for the loss.

That's the way corrupt dictatorships work.

Wiser minds at TV knew this scam was going to end in a trail of tears,

but the level is shocking even to me. I also predict not a single head

will roll over this scam......

Your prediction would be wrong, heads have already rolled and others are on the block :

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/737022-rice-fraud-verdict-on-thaksins-aide-due-today/page-3

Posted 2014-06-24 17:21:57

Thaksin aide jailed for rice fraud

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Samut Prakarn provincial court Tuesday sentenced a close aide to ex-pm Thaksin Shinawatra to six years in jail and fined him Bt12,000 after finding him guilty of embezzlement and fraud for his failure to deliver a Bt200-million rice shipment to Iran.

It should be noted that this gents actions have cost the country 3 years of sales to one of the previous best customers for since then Iran has refused to buy any more Thai rice.

.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Former commerce minister Boonsong Teriyapirom and ex-deputy commerce minister Poom Sarapol were charged by the agency (NACC), together with 13 other persons including former director-general of the External Trade Department Manas Sroypol who was involved in negotiations to sell rice to two Chinese state enterprises on government-to-government contracts. (sorry no link)

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/757870-ex-commerce-ministers-secretary-faces-charges-over-fake-g-to-g-rice-deals/

DSI probes graft allegations in govt's rice-pledging scheme

BANGKOK: -- The National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) has decided to lodge malfeasance and other criminal charges against former secretary of ex-commerce minister Boonsong Teriyapirom for alleged involvement in fake government-to-government rice deals with two Chinese state enterprises.

This guy was a straight scammer, promising to sell something that in essence he did not have.

What I am talking about is the purchase of the 17 millions tons of rice, and who the money

went to . That is the real issue, and one I suspect will not be brought to light as the people

involved are too high up. Maybe a few small fish will be thrown to the baying hounds.....

How on earth are they going to shift that lot?

Only 200,000 missing ? Isn't that a lot less than claimed ?

The Junta are going tot have to make a swift decision as to what's going to happen to this poor rice, they're not going to get 15,000 baht per tonne for gash, i doubt they'll even get 5000 for it .

Tough decision are needed to solve this rice mountain.

It doesn't matter what the rice is like!

The Junta were always gonna say it was ALL spoiled, sell it out the back door, then claim Yingluck was responsible for the loss.

That's the way corrupt dictatorships work.

It doesn't matter what the rice is like! If the 'Smartest Businessman in the World' had been allowed to stay in power, even via a puppet, his rice scheme would have made billions of dollars for Thailand. Ask an True Believer - they wouldn't recognise reality if it bit them on the bum.