sea water quality around Samui - need I be worried?

I noticed, after being here for 6 weeks, a constant brownish mirkiness in the coastal waters. Anywhere along Mae Nam beach, Chaweng, Lamai.

Having read the sewage thread(s) and suffering from ear infection, I am more than concerned about the ecological and thus health issue.

Can anyone in the know shed some light? I don't believe in the "all natural" theory...

Can't speak for Chaweng or Lamai but the waters in Maenam are fine. Agreed there is a brownish tinge at times but as far as I know, that is just the run off from the rivers which is mostly evident after there has been rain.

• Like 1

Where do you think most of the <deleted> goes esp in bohphut i know certain hotels ect that pump their tanks out into the sea a night ps this is a fact as i have witnised it personaly nothing can be said as you will get bullet in back of head

It's just silt from the hills because the rain. It's always like that at this time of year. In February onwards when the rivers starts to dry up the waters won't be murky anymore.

In Lamai around the stream near Buddy, the water is also brownish.

Waters around where all streams runs off into the ocean will be brownish.

A far bigger problem at this time of year are the rip currents, especially around Chaweng reef.

Here's a time lapse video reminding visitors how they work:

That was very interesting. I didn't quite get what I was seeing at first but this clearly shows the hidden dangers. I have these outlets by me here, each 500 meters away, Mae Nam. Each day in afternoon the water races out. People continue to cross the short gap as during the day, but I watch the water raging beneath the surface. I went to google earth and the still images actually show the great arc the tide rips into the outlet, but beachcombers wouldn't see this. Thanks. (Oh, and yes, its brown silt now!) :-)