Thai taxis to be quality approved before new fare could be enforced

webfact

Taxis to be quality approved before new fare could be enforced

PNSOC571208001002701_08122014_021252.jpg

BANGKOK, 8 December 2014 (NNT)-The Department of Land Transport has said the new cab fare rate is expected to be in effect at the end of this month.

According to Director General of the Department of Land Transport Theerapong Rodprasert, both the drivers and the vehicles must be verified by the department first before the new fare is applied.

More than 24,000 taxis have been quality approved since November. However, it accounts for only 23% of the number of 108,616 taxis registered in Bangkok. Mr. Theerapong is urging taxi drivers to get their cabs approved as soon as possible to assure that there are enough taxis for commuters.

Cab drivers may bring their vehicles to the Department of Land Transport’s District Office 1-5, every day, from 7 am.-6 pm.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-12-08 footer_n.gif

24,000 divided by 25 working days = 960 cars per day. How many minutes per vehicle to inspect and complete the relevant paperwork.?

How many staff members in the department could be spared to do the inspections while the department functioned normally?

Something does not seem correct.

Sick, sore and tired of sitting in a rattling, death trap driven by Ken Dodd on Ecstacy. crazy.gif

Nothing to worry about: quality check is in place; script as follow:

Quality inspector: OK, let us start the quality check now

DeathTrap Driver: here, 500 THB

Q.I.: All good, here is certificate, see you next year giggle.gif

Any taxies older than 5 years should be replaced and not approved, taxies running for 18+ hours a day; 365 days a year must have excessive wear in all moving parts despite the low millage because of the continuous running of the motor

Edited by metisdead
Font reset to default forum font.

Higher taxi fares won't change the Thai taxi driver.They will continue to demand off meter fares. I would so like to tell them ....

If you don't like driving in traffic .... get another job.

If you don't like foreigners .............get another job.

If you don't want to drive a passenger after midnight ... get another job.

And yes ... it is not my country. It is your country. Your home. And i am your guest.

• Like 1

Higher taxi fares won't change the Thai taxi driver.They will continue to demand off meter fares. I would so like to tell them ....

If you don't like driving in traffic .... get another job.

If you don't like foreigners .............get another job.

If you don't want to drive a passenger after midnight ... get another job.

And yes ... it is not my country. It is your country. Your home. And i am your guest.

Could not agree more...

Oh, for goodness sake, just get on with it and increase the sodding fares.

Yeah, the less quality and the more expensive the taxi will be, the better!?

Right. Let's see shall we:

Less quality? If the taxis are the same how can the quality be less? The same means exactly that. The same. Not less.

Expensive? Yeah, right. Taxis are expensive in Thailand. Get real. Fares have not risen for a few years now. Inflation on the other hand....

The rise is coming.

We know it's coming.

We're prepared.

Just get on with it and stop dancing around the issue.

Really? and what are you going to do if your dilapidated 1981 model taxi is charging the same

as a more modern taxi? are you going to have a fight with the driver or report him?

I think you'd be hard pressed to find many 1981 Toyotas still on the road. I am sure most of the taxis operating in the Bangkok Met Area are mostly later than 2000 models, which puts the oldest at nearly 15 years.

A lot of the rejected taxis are allowed to operate in the suburbs, Pathum Thani has many such rattlers.

Less quality? If the taxis are the same how can the quality be less? The same means exactly that. The same. Not less.

Expensive? Yeah, right. Taxis are expensive in Thailand. Get real. Fares have not risen for a few years now. Inflation on the other hand....

The rise is coming.

We know it's coming.

We're prepared.

Yes! Let taxis put up prices when they see fit. Why regulate taxis, drivers are so honest,no need.And fares havent gone up in my lifetime(well 35 baht start hasnt, even though distance for that has changed many times) and finally Taxi drivers should be able to "pick up" and "go where they want", its their car, well for some of them . I want a "taxi drivers in Bangkok aren't bad" T-shirt, then I can change the verb to a positive by scratching out two letters for those with an opposite view. Edited by kingalfred

The rise is coming.

We know it's coming.

We're prepared.

yes just let taxis put up prices when they see fit. Why regulate taxis, drivers are so honest,no need.And fares havent gone up in my lifetime(well 35 baht start hasnt, even though distance for that has changed many times) and finally Taxis should be able to "pick up" and "go where they want", its their car,well some of them. I want a "taxi drivers in Bangkok aren't bad" T-shirt, then I can change the verb to a positive by scratching out two letters for those with an opposite view.

It's the government raising the fares, not the taxi drivers.

Or, as a customer, devise a strategy to get around the nuisance.

Use the MRT or BTS where possible.

Find a half dozen or more reliable drivers (there are plenty of them) get their phone numbers and use as necessary.

For longer distances, hire a car and drive yourself.

Buy a car and (see above)

Occasionally be prepared to negotiate a fare rather than use the meter

Walk.

Ride a bike.

Stay home.