Thailand reclaims its place as the world's largest rice exporter

webfact

Thailand reclaims its place as the world's largest rice exporter

PNECO571208001000701_08122014_013824.jpg

BANGKOK, 8 December 2014 (NNT) - Thailand has finally managed to become the world’s largest rice exporter once again, exporting more than 10 million tons so far this year.

Commerce Minister General Chatchai Sarikalaya said the country is also trying to win back its place as the world’s largest jasmine rice exporter after losing the title to Hong Kong. He added that the stockpiled rice would be sold or exported as quickly as possible as grains are perishable goods.

General Chatchai said the inspection of rice in stock nationwide has been completed. Out of the 17 million tons of rice, only 10 percent are in good condition. The rest are of lower-than-standard quality including 14 million tons which have turned yellow and 700,000 tons which have begun to deteriorate. Authorities are now investigating how another number of 200,000 tons has gone missing.

The Ministry of Commerce will ask the Rice Policy Committee to consider more channels to release the rice in stock. It is expected that 400,000 tons of rice will be released within this month.

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-12-08

• Like 1

I really do not know if this is a positive achivement. Rice growers probably are the ones getting the less retribution for unit of land than others in the world. To concentrates Thailand's agro production in rice, is to keep the growers in poverty. Diversification is the right answer to improve the life of farmers, and was the King's mission for decades. I hope the new government will look in this again, and do somethng about. Education? Support? Control?..Something. Thailand farmers deserves better future.

Edited by umbanda
  • Like 1

That was very well done, considering that the bottom of the rice sack was torn open for us in the past. I wonder if any other government would be capable of this achievement in such a short time.

Edited by metisdead
Fixed it for you, font reset to default forum font.

'Commerce Minister General Chatchai Sarikalaya said the country is also trying to win back its place as the world’s largest jasmine rice exporter after losing the title to Hong Kong.'

Am i missing something here ?? Hong Kong may have many titles, but 'Worlds largest Jasmine Rice exporter' ? lol..cant see it !!

Another thing i seem to be missing, is all this shltty deteriorating and yellow rice they are flogging off, whats it used for ? Who would eat it ? and are there any other uses for rice other than consumption ?

So many questions, so little time. PLease answer me someone quickly, I wont sleep tonight ! :-(

'Commerce Minister General Chatchai Sarikalaya said the country is also trying to win back its place as the world’s largest jasmine rice exporter after losing the title to Hong Kong.'

Am i missing something here ?? Hong Kong may have many titles, but 'Worlds largest Jasmine Rice exporter' ? lol..cant see it !!

Another thing i seem to be missing, is all this shltty deteriorating and yellow rice they are flogging off, whats it used for ? Who would eat it ? and are there any other uses for rice other than consumption ?

So many questions, so little time. PLease answer me someone quickly, I wont sleep tonight ! :-(

May be they could tell the buyers of the old yellow rice that it is new "Yellow Rice " ie rice dyed with sapphron or tumeric

• Like 1

Almost 100% more than their closest rivals India ?

Exporting or "dumping" to get rid of the stockpile?

I suppose if you're getting rid of what you have it's still classed as " exporting"

Now the key question of course would be " what price did they get for that 10 million tonnes compared to what the India exports made?

Fair play they have regained top spot but quality over quantity is also very important too.

• Like 1

Thailand regains rice exporting champion this year

8-12-2557-17-11-48-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thailand has regained its rice export champion in the world with exports this year totalling over 10 million tons, Commerce Minister General Chatchai Sarikalaya disclosed Monday.

He also said the country is now trying to win back its place as the world’s largest jasmine rice exporter after losing the title to Hong Kong.

He added that the stockpiled rice would be sold or exported as quickly as possible as grains are perishable goods.

General Chatchai said the inspection of rice in stocks nationwide has been completed.

Out of the 17 million tons of rice, only 10 percent are in good condition.

The rest are of lower-than-standard quality including 14 million tons which have turned yellow and 700,000 tons which have begun to deteriorate.

Authorities are now investigating how 200,000 tons of rice in the stocks went missing.

The Ministry of Commerce will ask the Rice Policy Committee to consider more channels to release the rice in stock.

It is expected that 400,000 tons of rice will be released within this month, he said.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thailand-regains-rice-exporting-champion-year

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-12-08

I suppose if you're getting rid of what you have it's still classed as " exporting"

Now the key question of course would be " what price did they get for that 10 million tonnes compared to what the India exports made?

Fair play they have regained top spot but quality over quantity is also very important too.

"I suppose if you're getting rid of what you have it's still classed as " exporting". "

That's what every country in the world does, if you don't have you can't export it.

"Now the key question of course would be " what price did they get for that 10 million tonnes compared to what the India exports made?"

That would be a question for a different survey. The price is irrelevant when the question is how many tonnes were exported. The figures would probably be meaningless to you anyway as you think that 10 million is "almost 100% more" than 4.8 million.

Edited by Sviss Geez

I assume this number will go down as the news saying that 90% of the stored

rice is bad has to put a dent into what can export. Meaning with a large amount

of rotten rice there is nothing to export... Or is there a massive amount of fresh

rice that hits the market on an ongoing basis, therefore the millions of tons of

rotting rice do not matter to the export market ??

• Like 1

Mundi Index shows a slightly different picture for 2014 (estimate):

Rank Country Exports (1000 MT) 1 Thailand 10,800.00 g.gif 2 India 8,700.00 g.gif 3 Viet Nam 6,700.00 g.gif 4 Pakistan 3,900.00 g.gif 5 United States 3,262.00 g.gif 6 Myanmar 1,300.00 g.gif 7 Cambodia 1,200.00 g.gif 8 Uruguay 950.00 g.gif 9 Brazil 900.00 g.gif 10 Argentina 600.0

"I suppose if you're getting rid of what you have it's still classed as " exporting". "

That's what every country in the world does, if you don't have you can't export it.

"Now the key question of course would be " what price did they get for that 10 million tonnes compared to what the India exports made?"

That would be a question for a different survey. The price is irrelevant when the question is how many tonnes were exported. The figures would probably be meaningless to you anyway as you think that 10 million is "almost 100% more" than 4.8 million.

My bad!! Still if you're offloading huge amounts and the price remains low because of a saturated market it's still classed as " dumping "

Sure it's about supply and demand too and fair play if they have more than doubled the amount of their nearest competitors, but I'd much rather see them sort out the current stockpile of 90 % inferior rice!!

Numbers maybe not my my strongpoint but smelling BS is high up there and not a day after the junta said not to believe all you read in the media? ?

Now surely it seems that instead of telling farmers to slow down and produce less, this report says otherwise?

And they have hit number 1 exporter a couple of times since 22nd May as I seemed to recall reading it here ?

Media manipulation ? Population manipulation ?

Who knows what to believe these days?? !!!

There was 18 mill tons when Thaksin Yingluck was in power and up to the coup. After the coup and up until just a few weeks ago there was still 18 million tons in govt stock piles. Today there is 17 million tons with 10 million tons exported so far to date.

I thought the govt got out of the rice biz after the coup?

That is the only way there can still be 17 mill tons in stock, if the govt is still buying it, right?

Well don general junta PM Prayuth.

Since you took over, Thai economy have been on a raise.

Thailand is now champion, all because of your great leadership.

Thank you 3 times.

You really need to stop playing with yourself, you'll become blind along with being deaf and dumb.

Edited by recycled

This is absolutely nothing to crow about. Rice farmers are dirt poor.....exporting the most means that you have more dirt poor farmers than other nations...not anything to be proud of.

So going by your logic Thailand should aim to be the lowest rice exporter in the world! So because the PTP took Thailand from top rice exporter to third place rice exporter they were actually helping the farmers...

That is PTP logic right there folks!