Myanmar men plead not guilty to murder of British tourists on Koh Tao

webfact

It's really too bad that foreigners being held on crimes they allegedly committed in Thailand cannot be held in a facility for foreigners only, and away from the native population. Furthermore, it would be a requirement that the prison personnel would also be foreigners looking over them with Thai supervision, in order to ensure their incarceration time is represented according to the International human rights code. It is really too bad, because it is not a stretch of the imagination to understand that as long as foreigners are going to be anywhere near the Thai prison population that their lives are forfeit, and for a very small price, and at any whim. I believe this with absolute conviction.

Were this true, that these men could be held in a foreigner's only prison block, then I would be interested to see if they would be more apt to name names and things that were said to them, which... to all intents and purposes, I am absolutely convinced if they utter this information they are as good as dead.

I could only surmise this as the only answer to my question, "If these boys know something (and I am certain they do) then why on Earth aren't they telling us what they know?".

Answer: If they speak out of turn, they are as good as dead, and their untimely demise will be buried under the same load of malarkey that the two murdered kids were.

Thailand has tourist police... so why can't they demonstrate their sense of fairness and have tourist prisons and tourist guards?

Answer: Don;t need to answer. It is all too clear.

That has to be the strangest post I have read on TVF.

What country in the world has prisons (for criminal not immigration charges) only for foreigners? What country employs foreigners to guard foreigners?

Yeah! I know. This is the second reply to my post. I guess I forgot to mention it is merely a pie in the sky dream. I will admit that I think it is a good idea. It would need a few kinks worked out; nothing like Guantanamo Bay, of course. Specifically foreigners though. Anyways, it is just a thought.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to spit out that humble pie I ate. I cannot fathom that these two, acting alone, killed David and Hannah. They may of had some involvement (well, being ordered to be involved) and told that they would be protected.

Evidence tampered with to make it look that way. Let's see how it unfolds in court.

So, back to the conspiracy theories, I see.

Not necessarily. The way things are going, and the way we are afforded information these days, it would appear that theories are about all that remains anymore, and that isn't necessarily as dubious as it was in the olden days. Turning the concept around, what else is there besides what we are served up on the "official" channels, and does anyone really believe that rubbish?

Dogmatix, on 09 Dec 2014 - 01:19, said:

One of them has been charged with theft of David's sun glasses along with the famous phone that police reported finding in 4 different places. That is the first mention I have seen of the sun glasses, is this new evidence? We're the accused' finger prints found on the glasses?

In another OP in this thread it mentions "spectacles" which I take to mean eye glasses or reading glasses. Anyway, it's news to me too. I cannot imagine that the male victim would have been carrying sun glasses with him after dark.

Same here, the first I've heard of sunglasses. The cctv of David a few hours before the horrible deed did not show him carrying any, of course there's the possibility that they would be in his shorts pocket. But then according to the RTP the running man then put on Davids shorts, yet more reason to identify this prime suspect!

Davids shorts were left at the crime scene, why do you continue to peddle misinformation?

• Like 1

jdinasia, on 09 Dec 2014 - 03:29, said:
IslandLover, on 09 Dec 2014 - 03:22, said:
thailandchilli, on 08 Dec 2014 - 16:32, said:

thailandchilli, on 08 Dec 2014 - 16:32, said:

jdinasia, on 08 Dec 2014 - 16:24, said:

jdinasia, on 08 Dec 2014 - 16:24, said:

And the Canadian girl with her statement about never living anywhere she felt safer.

“I’ve never felt as safe living anywhere,” said one young Canadian woman based on the island.

Yes I notice its the same article that in a separate thread you said was published just for page views

As usual JD is being selective in what he posts. To provide some balance, here is another quote from the same Guardian article, this time from an English woman:

"Nonetheless, there is real fear. Several islanders who believe they know who killed Witheridge and Miller have fled. Those who remain stay silent, for good reason, according to the woman: “If you speak out you’ll suddenly find the landlord of your business doesn’t want to know [you] anymore, or you can’t get a visa. Very occasionally, people disappear.”

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/nov/23/briton-thailand-murder-hannah-witheridge-david-miller-mystery-mafia-fear

Selective? The rest of that quote suggesting violence isn't the issue there, which is clear from your selection.

The associated media coverage has seen Koh Tao characterised as mafia-run. One English woman, who has lived in the area for many years, says the term is misleading: “The mafia here aren’t the sort who carry guns in violin cases, or knock on doors extorting people. They’re the families that go back for generations, and who ran the islands before the police even got here.”

Ha ha ha, I was waiting for you to pick up on that clap2.gif. I was just showing up your selectiveness with some of my own. Your quote appears directly above mine in the Guardian Article to give it it's full context. The term mafia has been used in many articles about the Koh Tao murders. No, they are not the "Cosa Nostra", but they are still a type of mafia according to one meaning of the word, i.e. a group regarded as exerting a hidden sinister influence. I was told by a Thai person recently that the whole of Thailand was run by the mafia whistling.gif

• Like 2

I want to spit out that humble pie I ate. I cannot fathom that these two, acting alone, killed David and Hannah. They may of had some involvement (well, being ordered to be involved) and told that they would be protected.

Evidence tampered with to make it look that way. Let's see how it unfolds in court.

So, back to the conspiracy theories, I see.

Not necessarily. The way things are going, and the way we are afforded information these days, it would appear that theories are about all that remains anymore, and that isn't necessarily as dubious as it was in the olden days. Turning the concept around, what else is there besides what we are served up on the "official" channels, and does anyone really believe that rubbish?

The families statements? The trial?

Dogmatix, on 09 Dec 2014 - 01:19, said:

One of them has been charged with theft of David's sun glasses along with the famous phone that police reported finding in 4 different places. That is the first mention I have seen of the sun glasses, is this new evidence? We're the accused' finger prints found on the glasses?

In another OP in this thread it mentions "spectacles" which I take to mean eye glasses or reading glasses. Anyway, it's news to me too. I cannot imagine that the male victim would have been carrying sun glasses with him after dark.

Same here, the first I've heard of sunglasses. The cctv of David a few hours before the horrible deed did not show him carrying any, of course there's the possibility that they would be in his shorts pocket. But then according to the RTP the running man then put on Davids shorts, yet more reason to identify this prime suspect!

Davids shorts were left at the crime scene, why do you continue to peddle misinformation?

Think you better look back at the many statements on this by the RTP and also the colour of the actual shorts at the crime scene........dark blue. But as for your misinformation I would suggest before promoting it anymore to check your facts

Edited by thailandchilli

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

From a legal perspective this is now becoming an interesting case to follow, and there should be as many questions asked by the defence lawyers of the police as for the prosecution of the accused.
It appears from what information is available it is a defence lawyers paradise.
...was the crime scene secured, if not evidence is suspect and therefore not acceptable
...is the DNA found on Hannah independently verified, not acceptable if it isn't
...if the DNA from the accused was taken early why was there no match until the second attempt?
...how come the 4 different locations for the phone?
...why did the police state that 'no Thai' could possibly commit such a terrible crime ( I refer you to the rape and murder of a girl on a train recently, Thai man I believe)
....where is the missing CCTV footage?
...is there any evidence to be produced that ' could not have been planted or altered to suit the case'?
...exactly why was the case referred back, three times was it, to the police for 'fixing' by the prosecution service.
...and so on
If he is worth his title of lawyer he is able to rip this case to pieces unless there is irrefutable evidence.
And the whole investigation appears to be so badly handled I cannot see any evidence that could now be produced that could not be viewed as suspect.
Or unless of course there is another agenda.
I hold no views on the guilt or innocence of these two but it appears on the face of it that there are so many holes in it that the case cannot help but be thrown out if the right questions are asked.
And as a final rider,
Are the owners of the bar being arrested for use of illegal labour?
As it would appear that it is unlikely that these two couldn't possibly have committed the crime alone are there other arrests to be Made.
It is sad to see so many people on the forum attacking each other over did they or didn't they. Surely the only thing we all want, including the poor families of Hannah and David, is to establish the truth
Conspiracy theories are what they are, theories. But in the past have they not provided a platform for further investigation and subsequent ridicule of the original story?
I suppose, sad to say, most opinions will depend on how much we trust the Thai police to have found the real killers.
As I say it will be very interesting.

More questions:
- Who is the owner of the murder weapon, a hoe? Can the owner tell us where it was situated the last time he saw it?

- Can be reconstructed how the B2 allegedly got hands on this hoe?
- I read somewhere that the phone of Hannah was found in the woods, near the room of the B2... Who found it? A policeman? How come he found it? Some higher power whispered to him to search there? Pure luck? Someone else found it?
- Can be checked if any policemen on Koh Tao maybe have recently been spending money more than usual?

- fingerprints on the sun glasses, phone?

• Like 1

jdinasia post #151

The associated media coverage has seen Koh Tao characterised as mafia-run. One English woman, who has lived in the area for many years, says the term is misleading: “The mafia here aren’t the sort who carry guns in violin cases, or knock on doors extorting people. They’re the families that go back for generations, and who ran the islands before the police even got here.”

Al rather reminisce of those delightful characters in the U.K. The Kray Brothers and the Richardson brothers etc

One can only imagine the extreme agony being felt in the TAT office right now. I bet the news of the B2's 'not guilty' plea went down like a lead balloon. Just think of all the tourist baht at risk as a result of the trial being prolonged and not as wished, concluded today.

Actually, having the trial will likely help return the UK backpackers. Other nationalities seem not to have diminished.

Still plenty of British heading there but apparently less than before.

...and you would know that exactly....how???

Think you better look back at the many statements on this by the RTP and also the colour of the actual shorts at the crime scene........dark blue. But as for your misinformation I would suggest before promoting it anymore to check your facts

Davids shorts were at the crime scene; you haven't answer the question, why do you continue to peddle misinformation?

Its real funny, so many cynical people on this forum, why aren't you all helping them fund their defence ? Families are happy with outcome, and they would have more info, than anybody....

Yes, the families are happy and they may actually have more info than anybody.

That -of course- would go exclusively for the English families, who lost 2 kids.

Unfortunately it is a bit different for the families of the B2, who might loose their kids!

But the active core of RTP- defenders wouldn't care for that, right?!

Edited by DM07
  • Like 2

Thai media is claiming that the police chief will have a meeting with David Cameron to discuss Thai police's perfect job on the Koh Tao rape and murder investigations - just the most recent two cases, not Nick Pearson or other cases. However, the Guardian reports that Cameron's office denied he has any appointment with Thai police in London. The National Crime Agency confirmed that its boss will meet with them but these seems to be a formality to do with the human trafficking seminar they are attending and not specifically to do with the Koh Tao murder investigations with which the National Crime Agency has had no involvement. Sounds like Thai media have hyped this up.

Anyway Thai police's input into the out of control situation of human trafficking in Thailand, including on Koh Tao and the other Samui islands will no doubt be most interesting to the NCA and other police and human rights groups at the seminar. A chance for another perfect job score perhaps.

One can only imagine the extreme agony being felt in the TAT office right now. I bet the news of the B2's 'not guilty' plea went down like a lead balloon. Just think of all the tourist baht at risk as a result of the trial being prolonged and not as wished, concluded today.

Actually, having the trial will likely help return the UK backpackers. Other nationalities seem not to have diminished.

Still plenty of British heading there but apparently less than before.

...and you would know that exactly....how???
Keep reading. Link was provided.

Its real funny, so many cynical people on this forum, why aren't you all helping them fund their defence ? Families are happy with outcome, and they would have more info, than anybody....

Yes, the families are happy and they may actually have more info than anybody.

That -of course- would go exclusively for the English families, who lost 2 kids.

Unfortunately it is a bit different for the families of the B2, who might loose their kids!

But the active core of RTP- defenders wouldn't care for that, right?!

Never mind about them. They are inconsequential Burmese and an eye for an eye will provide American style 'closure' and will certainly help tourism income to recover. Perhaps arrangements can be made by the FCO for the families of the victims fly out to witness the executions in proper US style. Now that the US is having trouble sourcing the right drugs, as manufacturers refuse to sell them for ethical reasons, and is having to use substitutes that result in convicts gasping and spasming in pain for 40 minutes on their way to eternity, we can rest assured that the Thai version will also be fitting punishment indeed and much worse than the previous methods of beheading with the sword or being shot in the back through a canvas screen that shielded the executioner's eyes from the target, allowing him to believe he hadn't harmed anyone, despite accuracy problems caused by the canvas.

Edited by Dogmatix

Davids shorts were at the crime scene; you haven't answer the question, why do you continue to peddle misinformation?

Seeing as you didn't follow my advice and look for the many previous statements on this, here's some spoon feeding for you

Footage from the resort where Mr David Miller was residing showed him wearing a cream colored boxer shorts as he was walking toward the beach.
Comparing that footage to another at allocation nearby which captured the image of an Asian male shows the suspicious individual running pass the CCTV camera (from the direction of the crime scene) wearing the exact same shorts. A blue colored pants that was found by the body of Mr David is now believed to belong to the suspect.
This indicated that he mistakenly grabbed the pants of the victim to wear and left his own at the scene in a hurry as shown in the CCTV showing he ran pass hurriedly. http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/new-evidence-found-tourists-murder-case
Freely available online are also photos of the crime scene with dark shorts left behind, photos of the running man with light shorts and photos of the running man with dark shorts earlier in the evening, of course if you cannot be bothered to look you will not find.
Edited by thailandchilli
  • Like 2

Seeing as you didn't follow my advice and look for the many previous statements on this, here's some spoon feeding for you

Footage from the resort where Mr David Miller was residing showed him wearing a cream colored boxer shorts as he was walking toward the beach.
Comparing that footage to another at allocation nearby which captured the image of an Asian male shows the suspicious individual running pass the CCTV camera (from the direction of the crime scene) wearing the exact same shorts. A blue colored pants that was found by the body of Mr David is now believed to belong to the suspect.
This indicated that he mistakenly grabbed the pants of the victim to wear and left his own at the scene in a hurry as shown in the CCTV showing he ran pass hurriedly. http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/new-evidence-found-tourists-murder-case
Freely available online are also photos of the crime scene with dark shorts left behind, photos of the running man with light shorts and photos of the running man with dark shorts earlier in the evening, of course if you cannot be bothered to look you will not find.

Interesting. Also why were we never shown the CCTV footage of the 2B returning home naked or only in their underwear, since police produced their clothing and guitar taken from the beach when they were swimming as evidence in the Samui court hearing to question witnesses in October? Surely images of naked or near naked Burmese men coming from the beach after a rape would have looked like damning evidence and wouldn't have been withheld by police or the headmen's people who own all the CCTV cameras.

There remain more questions than answers despite the plods 2 hour visit to Koh Tao and the powerful and convincing evidence they uncovered during that investigation.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 1

Yes, I've seen the photos of the crime scene, with David's shorts, light colour on the outside, darker blue colour on the inside, inside out on the beach. Stop spreading misinformation.

• Like 1

Please do not encourage certain people by answering am reposting them.

People who have hundreds of looooong posts are suspious.

Remember. We want the interesting information to help people understand the b2 predicament.

Translation, you don't want to hear facts that go against your beliefs.

• Like 2

Interesting. Also why were we never shown the CCTV footage of the 2B returning home naked or only in their underwear, since police produced their clothing and guitar taken from the beach when they were swimming as evidence in the Samui court hearing to question witnesses in October? Surely images of naked or near naked Burmese men coming from the beach after a rape would have looked like damning evidence and wouldn't have been withheld by police or the headmen's people who own all the CCTV cameras.

There remain more questions than answers despite the plods 2 hour visit to Koh Tao and the powerful and convincing evidence they uncovered during that investigation.

The UK police spent more than two hours in Koh Tao, stop spreading misinformation.

• Like 1

Remember. We want the interesting information to help people understand the b2 predicament.

I'd prefer to have interesting information that establishes the innocence or guilt of the 2 accused. If the former, then interesting information that establishes the identity of all those involved in this atrocious crime and leads to their conviction.

Whereas you seem to have already decided and now encourage the censor of views and opinions that don't agree with your decision.

The interesting thing with the trial date is that the British inquest will now take place first.

Translation, you don't want to hear facts that go against your beliefs.

Thats not what i said.

The post neither supported nor villianised the boys.

But there are some posts that take over the whole site. Doing exactly what you just said. I am not the only one sick of it.

Good on them, this puts the onus firmly on the prosecution to show all their evidence and to support it (in theory of course)

With all the uncertainty surrounding the case it is good to see that the Burmese chaps will get to put across their side of the story and that their team of lawyers can put some skillful defence / scrutiny on it.

Also with the Burmese embassy / government behind their citizens they have some extra clout. I hope ths pushes the case towards a fair and just conclusion. Face hasn't won yet.. A huge plus

I think even if there had been a cam or video of the killing and the suspects were not the Burmese men in question, it's possible they would still face indictment. If such events can happen in a supposedly operational justice system (i.e. The US) then what can one expect here?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

http://time.com/3617617/thailand-koh-tao-murder-david-miller-hannah-witheridge-indictment/

Scotland Yard spent only two hours on Koh Tao and did not meet with either the accused or their legal team.....Wow!! Great job Sherlock, then again what else could you have done? You were only there to observe the powerful and convincing evidence of the RTP. No wonder the family statement says the evidence APPEARS to be powerful and convincing.

I say it one more time, I will never believe in a million years the B2 are guilty unless I have seen independently (non-thai) verified DNA (if that is/was still possible). Nothing can change my mind, and definitively not a million posts from JD praising the RTP.

This case stinks too high heaven! So Sherlock, to end all this show the world your DNA findings! Just say you did independently verify the DNA from the repatriated bodies against fresh B2 samples and you will publish the result in due time. The fact that you didn't even meet them says it all.........you did not check the DNA, you accepted the RTP results. The B2 deserve better and so do their families!

That would be up to the defence to do, to verify their own DNA sampling.

Apparently the prosecution already have their evidence.

So the plods spent a generous 2 hours on Koh Tao? Did they find powerful and convincing evidence while drinking at the AC Bar?

I wonder how the spent the rest of their 10 day visit to Thailand. I hope they saved taxpayers' money by flying economy on Aeroflot or Biman Bangladesh Airlines. Now their bosses are conferring with the Thai police bosses on human trafficking in London. At least their barking up the right tree there. Thai police are experts on human trafficking,

To my knowledge, the British police were in Thailand purely for observation.

Again, as far as I know, they have nothing to do with the defence in this case. The B2 have their own defence team.

The UK police spent more than two hours in Koh Tao, stop spreading misinformation.

Not according to this they didn't http://time.com/3617...dge-indictment/

And please, enough with the 'stop spreading misinformation' on every post. You're beginning to sound like a pathetic parrot laugh.png

• Like 1

mmmmm. Worthy of identification..............apparently not to some people

Now you stoop so low as to post doctored images... have you no shame?

The left CCTV frame has been doctored, the pants darkened and a "phone" painted on the hand, the actual CCTV footage shows the suspect wearing light colour shorts, the same going in and going back.

• Like 2

My source is Time Magazine. Check it out online.