Alcohol beverages ban during New Year and Songkran triggers outcry

webfact

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<quote> "But it is also argued that the major cause of road mishaps that claimed high casualties during festive season is drunk driving". How about the police do their job and enforce the drink driving laws? They don't seem to have a problem enforcing the scams stopping innocent tourists, making them piss into jars on the roadside and extorting a few hundred baht do they. I wonder what other hare-brained ideas they can come up with to deter tourists?

• Like 2

Alcohol consumption is quite high here in Thailand and also the many casualties and accidents because of drunk driving...

Everybody knows...

So WHY does the police not enforce alcohol tests during traffic controls and do their job while avoiding and INSTRUCT once for all that alcohol and driving vehicles are NOT compatible?!

Besides enforcing the law they would do a "fine financial improvement" with big fines and even to suspend driver licenses like in all Nations in Europe?

And this would mean: A proper job done WITHOUT bribes and other s..t - I mean "DOING THE JOB THEY SHOULD DO!" while having good HONEST cash?!

Well... my salt & pepper

Edited by Pesche
  • Like 1

"However Dr Samarn assured, however, he proposed only banning of sales but did not prohibit drinking.

Customers still can buy before the banned time goes into effect, and then take them out for drinking during the festive time, he said."

So what is the point of the ban then?

Perhaps the thought that so many of you would-be drinkers are beeroholics--you know, only drink beer because you go crazy with spirits and think you can handle beer--and may not have the foresight to purchase a case of beer prior to the dates in question. Go ahead, show them wrong; run out and get your beer supplies.

I don't drink often, never do so in the house and stay away from major celebrations. Don't have a problem with them, just don't want to be part of them.

I just don't get how a ban on selling alcohol will achieve anything if drinking as usual is allowed.

I don't support bans on alcohol as they achieve nothing because people find ways round them.

However to have the person proposing the ban being the one advising how to get round it is just ridiculous.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

instead of banning alcohol sales how about getting the police to do their job and actually start arresting drunks/drinkers on the streets and drunk drivers on the roads. maybe then there wouldnt be so many deaths but it would require the police to actually work which would be a whole new ball game.

• Like 2

What a silly proposal. So without any actual ban of drinking just purchasing, everyone gets drunk at home and brings supplies with them in the family truck, and just drink in public instead, gathered around the loud stereos pumping issan classics out the back of somchai's truck. Then we all pile in the back with no seats or seatbelts and off we go merrily with all the other road users.

• Like 1

instead of banning alcohol sales how about getting the police to do their job and actually start arresting drunks/drinkers on the streets and drunk drivers on the roads. maybe then there wouldnt be so many deaths but it would require the police to actually work which would be a whole new ball game.

From what I've seen in the past; placing even the best of police in this role would be like Custer at Little Big Horn. There are simply too many sober loons, let alone drunk loons out there on the road. These people can't even obey the simplest of laws. Angels from Heaven couldn't get these people to behave.

Some time I think that the police may be corrupt simply because there is no future in policing loons, who don't give a hoot.

It's just a confidence trick.

When the 'committee' meets later this month they will agree not to proceed. Then they will tell the grateful nation that they 'have listened to the voice of the people'.

It's all part of the plan........they must think we're stupid. I don't care by the way, as I don't drink, but to suggest no alcohol sales is stupid.

Why not ban driving instead. biggrin.png

• Like 1

I think it's a good idea. Get's rid of all the undesirable drunks with one stroke of a pen. Imagine how many pimp bars would close down over night. Bring it on I say smile.png

Wow; a ban on two days drinking will really do all that?

but they said they would ban it if it was based around a religious holiday etc, But isn't Christmas based around a religious time, there for hence the holiday to celebrate, they have not got a snowballs chance in hell of banning drink around Christmas and the new year, because to many tourist would not come here otherwise, even a fool knows this, they are not there just to open up their Christmas presents,

Drinking to excess at new years is a ritual that is world wide in all but Muslim countries.

If teetotalers and moralists outside Thailand, like the USA's Prohibition failure, could not put a stop to it,

why do the exceptional brains of Thailand think they can or should do so?

Songkran, well that is their own homegrown holiday, mess with it if they want, it still won't succeed.

But new years is world wide thing and if they want New Years Eve tourist business, they should just chill.

If traffic accidents are the reason, ban driving of private sector cars, taxis and bikes (and ban trucks). Public transport only - with bus drivers etc. breath-checked daily plus random checks.. Guaranteed no accidents due to alcohol - only those due to ya-ba, idiocy etc. Of course this would mean chaos but it would be very 'Thai'.

More seriously - lunatic proposal.

Drinking to excess at new years is a ritual that is world wide in all but Muslim countries.

If teetotalers and moralists outside Thailand, like the USA's Prohibition failure, could not put a stop to it,

why do the exceptional brains of Thailand think they can or should do so?

Songkran, well that is their own homegrown holiday, mess with it if they want, it still won't succeed.

But new years is world wide thing and if they want New Years Eve tourist business, they should just chill.

That would be *some* Muslim countries.

Because in some of them it's their busiest (and "pissiest") night of the year.

• Like 1

It's just a confidence trick.

When the 'committee' meets later this month they will agree not to proceed. Then they will tell the grateful nation that they 'have listened to the voice of the people'.

It's all part of the plan........they must think we're stupid. I don't care by the way, as I don't drink, but to suggest no alcohol sales is stupid.

Why not ban driving instead. biggrin.png

Well foreseen - the PM has just rejected the idea, and is another feather in his cap!

Governments need to let people government their own lives. It is against the law to drink when drunk. How about addressing that issue. Stopping alcohol sales is not the right way. Prohibition proved that in the USA. People will drink during New Years. There can be no arguement here. THEY WILL DRINK. It is simply a matter of where they drink. Some stupid people will get drunk and drive. Some will die. It is a constant. Cutting out bars from selling is hurting tourism and business. That is the only thing it does. Again - people will drink, some will drive, and some will die - period.

Im all for letting idiots kill themselves. No problem!

Trouble is when those idiots kill or maim others who are just minding their own business.

Surely no one should have the right to do that?

They should just attack the problem directly, like they do in most European and western nations.

But I guess you need a competant and reliable police force to do that!

555 An outcry really I don't get it. If you are being given advance notice then STOCK UP now geesh.

Shame many people associate a holiday/New Year to having to consume alcohol

AND YES, there is something very sinister going on and perhaps an announcement is FINALLY going to be made (3 months later)

Theres been articles in TV about arrests being made for various forms of corruption.

I believe there is truth when a spouse passes on that it has such a detrimental impact on the mental/emotional/spiritual state of being of the surviving spouse that it usually isnt too long after that in their minds they let go and follow their spouse.

If the goal is to avoid road killing, why not....enforce the law???

that is the job of the police to enforce traffic laws

They can't since they are all drunk those nights tongue.png But no one worries, it's just a April fools day a little late though Or should i have said early?...

Edited by julemanden

Governments need to let people government their own lives. It is against the law to drink when drunk. How about addressing that issue. Stopping alcohol sales is not the right way. Prohibition proved that in the USA. People will drink during New Years. There can be no arguement here. THEY WILL DRINK. It is simply a matter of where they drink. Some stupid people will get drunk and drive. Some will die. It is a constant. Cutting out bars from selling is hurting tourism and business. That is the only thing it does. Again - people will drink, some will drive, and some will die - period.

Im all for letting idiots kill themselves. No problem!

Trouble is when those idiots kill or maim others who are just minding their own business.

Surely no one should have the right to do that?

They should just attack the problem directly, like they do in most European and western nations.

But I guess you need a competant and reliable police force to do that!

"It is against the law to drink when drunk." Sorry - did I read that right?

555 An outcry really I don't get it. If you are being given advance notice then STOCK UP now geesh.

Shame many people associate a holiday/New Year to having to consume alcohol

AND YES, there is something very sinister going on and perhaps an announcement is FINALLY going to be made (3 months later)

Theres been articles in TV about arrests being made for various forms of corruption.

I believe there is truth when a spouse passes on that it has such a detrimental impact on the mental/emotional/spiritual state of being of the surviving spouse that it usually isnt too long after that in their minds they let go and follow their spouse.

What if you want to go out to a bar? If they aren't allowed to sell you alcohol, should all the bars just shut?

(not that it matters now)

Typical Thai logic blame the effect and not the cause. There is absolutely no question that drunk driving is at a level that the injuries and fatalities are a national disgrace and it has been like this for decades. This is due to the cultural nature of the Thai population who do not give a dam for anyone but themselves and the fact that they can do this with impunity owing to corrupt and totally inefficient performance of those in a brown uniform more interested in taking tea money that doing their job supported by successive governments who are more interested in filling their own pockets than providing safety and security for their citizens. Bloody Lemmings , the lot of them.