pleasant surprise when I arrived at Phuket airport

Incobart

I landed already many times at Phuket airport and always prepare myself to make it out of the airport to my car without too many taxi drivers in my neck asking from the moment the doors open till outside on the road " mister where you go ? "

But yesterday evening ... nobody NOBODY asked jumped pulled begged ..

I could peacefully walk out of the airport with no hassling

If this is an action from the new government, Thank you guys !

On the other hand, I came from Bkk where I was looking forward to walk easy now on the pedestrians walkway, but nope still blocked with selling items and motorbikes ...

Edited by Incobart
  • Like 2

Arrived twice last months at Don Mueang and had to queue more than 1 hour each time for a taxi to the city.

Disgraceful service !

Last time I took the bus to Mor Chit for 30 baht then the BTS. Didn't know the service existed until I saw the taxi queue, did a u-turn towards the limo counter and saw a lady with a sign. At my hotel before I would have reached the front of the taxi queue had I waited. Going again on Sunday so I'll see if it's sill operational, though may be a pain with Chatuchak market open

At Don Meung, it is quicker to go across bridge/walkway to hotel across the road an hail a taxi there.

But last time I used the bus to Mo Chit and BTS as well, probably just as easy.

As for Phuket, I book in advance with Phuket Shuttle - 750bht to Patong - cheaper than current taxi rip offs !!!

• Like 1

Arrived twice last months at Don Mueang and had to queue more than 1 hour each time for a taxi to the city.

Disgraceful service !

I fly into DM every month and use the official taxi queues. I've never had to wait more than 10 minutes.

You must have been very unlucky, or I'm just lucky....

Disgraceful service !

Last time I took the bus to Mor Chit for 30 baht then the BTS. Didn't know the service existed until I saw the taxi queue, did a u-turn towards the limo counter and saw a lady with a sign. At my hotel before I would have reached the front of the taxi queue had I waited. Going again on Sunday so I'll see if it's sill operational, though may be a pain with Chatuchak market open

Absolutely. I take the A1 (as they call it) and then MRT. DM airport to Lumpini for 70 Baht!! biggrin.png

Not sure I understand what is going on at the airport with regards to immigration. From the posts above it seems that the express lane scam is still going strong? I arrived on Emirates on Sunday night fully expecting the same and was completely gobsmacked by the fact that we were the only plane in and the immigration hall had every single counter operated. Not only that but they were stamping at the proper rate (not slowing down to 1/3rd speed like when the Express lane is in operation) and there were even some smiles from the officials.

Un-<deleted>**ing believable!

I can't understand why the taxi fares are still so high, though. They were sup[posed to be dropped when they were able to do pick-ups anywhere, weren't they?

I arrived at 5.45pm today from KL, was very happy because had to wait with many others ONLY 60 minutes to go through immigration. One of the immigration guys had a special welcome for tourists, screaming at them to stand in line, and when they did not obey immediately he came out of his box and pushed them back with his hands, and of course still screaming at them.

Welcome to Phuket and I am sure they will have a very good impression.

I am a bit sarcastic, but only a little bit.

• Like 1

More fool you.

The normal lanes are for the swarms of unwashed - mainly Russians and Chinese. They can't queue in an orderly fashion, let alone fill out their arrival card correctly. Just leave them to it. If they're put off by the Phuket airport immigration experience then good - maybe they won't return which would be an excellent result!

Just use the express lane. Just consider it an airport fee for those in the know. I seem to recall many airports in the US charge more than that to use a luggage trolley for the 5 mins it takes to get out through arrivals. I can think of many other examples around the world. Don't get me started on the departure tax out of Heathrow. I fail to see the difference.

FC

I think the difference between the airport express lane "scam" and other Immigration rip-offs, is that you aren't forced into paying to avoid the queuing.

The unfortunate part, of course, is that they seem to deliberately slow down normal processing to attract paying customers.

At Don Meung, it is quicker to go across bridge/walkway to hotel across the road an hail a taxi there.

But last time I used the bus to Mo Chit and BTS as well, probably just as easy.

As for Phuket, I book in advance with Phuket Shuttle - 750bht to Patong - cheaper than current taxi rip offs !!!

love ....Phuket Shuttle....They will even pick you up at your house or hotel for your return trip to the airport..

Always pick up on time and ?? usually?? safe drivers...easy online booking no credit card required pay cash to driver.

I will not use any other service to and from Phuket airport....

Absolutely. I take the A1 (as they call it) and then MRT. DM airport to Lumpini for 70 Baht!! biggrin.png

my dear friend can you explain more about A1 .. I always pay 250 taxi to Lumpini

As I mentioned it first I'll answer.

Vary close to the main exit from the terminal you will probably see a lady with a sign saying bus to Morchit, 30 baht. Get on it, hopefully there will be some seats otherwise you'll have to stand. The conductor will collect 30 baht and the bus goes, as stated, to Mo Chit BTS or Chatuchak Park MRT. The MRT goes to Lumpini.

I just took a taxi yesterday as it was a Sunday and I didn't really want to negotiate the crowds of Chatuchak Market. But on certain days it can be both quicker and much cheaper.

Also on the other topic, it took my guests over two hours to clear Phuket immigration last night. They ha no idea regarding the "express lane".

Edited by madmitch

Too often, people who are not in the know, so tourists, don't discover the express lane. Oh well, kinda dodgy to openly advertise something which is illegal.

I have seen and used the 'express lane" departing Phuket but have not seen or used it returning. Which lane is it? I guess its not 'advertised"?