House Plans, Price And Architect

Hi,

My wife picked up a house design from the OO BOR TOR. The plan show a budgeted price of 1.9 million baht. This surprised me, because it is close to the size and style of our current house which we bought for 850,000 baht about 12 years ago - I don't think construction costs have doubled in that time but I could be wrong. Is anyone familiar with what this price actually is? Could it be the maximum permissible rather than a typical price?

Also, we will eventually be looking for an architect to modify a sample plan or create one to our specifications and get it approved for construction. Any recommendations in the Pattaya/Sattahip area?

Thanks,

Peter

Hi,

My wife picked up a house design from the OO BOR TOR. The plan show a budgeted price of 1.9 million baht. This surprised me, because it is close to the size and style of our current house which we bought for 850,000 baht about 12 years ago - I don't think construction costs have doubled in that time but I could be wrong. Is anyone familiar with what this price actually is? Could it be the maximum permissible rather than a typical price?

Also, we will eventually be looking for an architect to modify a sample plan or create one to our specifications and get it approved for construction. Any recommendations in the Pattaya/Sattahip area?

Thanks,

Peter

It wouldn't seem unreasonable to me that a house bulit 12 years ago for 850,000 baht would now cost just over double that.

Raw materials have jumped significantly over the past three years alone - all down to China!

You will need to keep a close watch over the construction if you wish to control costs and keep within that budget. Still a hellavalot cheaper than anything you could build in the west though!

Excuse my ignorance, but is there a local office one can go to to get plans?

Also am I right in thinking plans need to be 'authorised' and so presumably if you get/buy them from a local office then they're already authorised?

Edited by Eastender

Not sure about local offices but bookshops stock a range of books (true!) that have a collection of floor plans. Some are houses some are bungalows. They include guide prices for construction and contact names and addresses. All in Thai (which I can’t read) but I’ve found them quite useful for ideas just by looking at the pictures.

Also am I right in thinking plans need to be 'authorised' and so presumably if you get/buy them from a local office then they're already authorised?

Most Government Land offices have complete plans for sale. These plans are usually, if not always, to Thai specs; i.e., basic bathrooms & kitchens, cheap roofs, non-grounded and insufficient electrical, concrete-ring septic tanks, little or no cabinetry for kitchen & bathrooms, etc. A Thai builder can only be expected to build as far as his experience allows him, equally, A Thai Architect can only be expected to design or re-design a structure within his grasp of experience. Farang Architects & builders aren't always more expensive than their Thai counterparts, and assuming you get the benefits of both western & Thai construction experience, maybe a few more baht isn't so bad in the long run.

Once the plans are finished or re-designed, a complete BOQ (bill of materials) plus added labor costs (estimate or bid) will determine total building costs.

The preparation of a complete house description (room by room) , detailing all materials, fixtures, colors, styles, etc., is another invaluable tool for saving time, money and the frustrations of trying to explain what you want and/or disagreeing about what was agreed to.

If you've ever built a house in the Kingdom you know the problems and frustrations that come with it. A friend of mine once said to me, "You're going to have problems whether you're there supervising all the time or not, the difference is, if you're not there all the time you won't have headaches everyday." As a builder & Architect I don't agree but thought his statement was valid. If you don't have a clue about construction then best to stay away and hope for the best.

There are no government inspector's here like in the west to ensure contractor's adhere to building codes, proper building practices, safety issues and guarantees, so you must keep a keen eye on all aspects, all the time to make sure you're getting what you pay for and to the extent of the plans, specifications, details & contract.. pm if you need plans, changes, contracts or other info

As a builder & Architect I don't agree

Excaliber, do you if I ask where you operate out of?

Moss

Isaan, although over the past 18 years I've worked all around the Kingdom...

Thanks for that, I may be in touch for the Isaan area as well as Rayong if all goes well.

Thanks

Moss

Moss

Thanks for that, I may be in touch for the Isaan area as well as Rayong if all goes well.

Thanks

Moss

Moss, design, drawings (CAD), details, specs, BOQ, house description, etc., can all be done over the internet. I use several different programs; most specifically: Microsoft Visio for layout, floorplan, electrical, plumbing, doors, windows, etc., together with a 3D program for visualizing the interior & exterior, all to scale of course, normally 1:100. Upon satisfaction AutoCAD drawings will be produced in Thai. Foundation, structure & roof structure signed-off by Thai Engineer & Architect. Builder ready. Unless I get involved in the building processs there usually isn't a need for me to see or be on site providing you supply me with accurate land bounderies for the plot plan (Chanote or Nor Sor 3 will indicate property dimensions). In some cases a soils test might be in order to determine if piling is necessary or standard foundation. Normally, if near the beach, piles (sow chem) are engineered as well as in and around Bangkok where clay is abundant. Easy to check with neighbor's to see what kind of foundation they have......

Yes, that is my understanding. If you don't make changes, or only minor ones, then the plans are pre-approved for building but the foundation would have to be suitable for the type of land the house is built on. The office is called OOR BOR TOR in Thai.

Eastender, if you post your area someone will probably know where the office is. The plans are free. They are also available on the Internet. I don't have the link handy. It has been posted here before. Probably someone else will post it to this thread or PM me if you want it and I will dig it up.

Peter

Edited by PMK

Many designs available on the market. What you need are proper drawings and the specific materials used in the construction. The book store l, library, internet, NHA all have multiple designs and plans available. The local designs all are very similar and use basically the same materials.

I know of several housing solutions that have been discussed recently with a house and construction of a approx. 80 sq meter home ( living space) , 2 fl. 2 bath , 2-3 bedrooms for Baht 650-800K excludes land. These houses are made from very solid materials and can also improve use of electrical consumption.

The soil tests are a must regardless of where you live in Thailand. You may use a floating slap in very few areas and you must also remember the load (weight) of the house. I suggest the piles even if not required. Better do it right the first time.

Good luck with your house and keep us posted on your model and costs.

Home sweet home in Thailand!

:o

I will be looking at plans next year and appreciate any advice. Hoping to build on a small piece of land near Tatago about 30km east of Nakhon Sawan city.

Land was previously a pond, we've had it filled. Will be leaving it a couple of years to settle before building.

P.s.

excaliber, do you have a website?

• 9 months later...

Moss

Hello Excaliber, are your building and architectural expertise for hire? My plan is to build in Isaan (Kaeng Khro) area, and need both services.

thanks, keoki

:o

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi,

I am looking for a good Architect to help me with an extension project to my existing house in Chiang Mai. Excaliber, would this be of interest to you? Please advise, contact poster by PM.

Regards,

Warren

---edit--- removed e-mail as per forum rules (spam prevention). Monty ---

Most Government Land offices have complete plans for sale. These plans are usually, if not always, to Thai specs; i.e., basic bathrooms & kitchens, cheap roofs, non-grounded and insufficient electrical, concrete-ring septic tanks, little or no cabinetry for kitchen & bathrooms, etc. A Thai builder can only be expected to build as far as his experience allows him, equally, A Thai Architect can only be expected to design or re-design a structure within his grasp of experience. Farang Architects & builders aren't always more expensive than their Thai counterparts, and assuming you get the benefits of both western & Thai construction experience, maybe a few more baht isn't so bad in the long run.

Once the plans are finished or re-designed, a complete BOQ (bill of materials) plus added labor costs (estimate or bid) will determine total building costs.

The preparation of a complete house description (room by room) , detailing all materials, fixtures, colors, styles, etc., is another invaluable tool for saving time, money and the frustrations of trying to explain what you want and/or disagreeing about what was agreed to.

If you've ever built a house in the Kingdom you know the problems and frustrations that come with it. A friend of mine once said to me, "You're going to have problems whether you're there supervising all the time or not, the difference is, if you're not there all the time you won't have headaches everyday." As a builder & Architect I don't agree but thought his statement was valid. If you don't have a clue about construction then best to stay away and hope for the best.

There are no government inspector's here like in the west to ensure contractor's adhere to building codes, proper building practices, safety issues and guarantees, so you must keep a keen eye on all aspects, all the time to make sure you're getting what you pay for and to the extent of the plans, specifications, details & contract.. pm if you need plans, changes, contracts or other info