Expats, do you speak Thai at home?

simon43

I understood from previous posts you had spat the dummy and was going to Myanmar?

Please try to keep up :)

I was working for 18 months in Myanmar a couple of years ago, then 6 months in Laos, then back home to Phuket

In Myanmar, I had to speak/write in Myanmar sa (Burmese) with the younger locals, because although the older folks spoke good English, the younger generation did not.

In Laos, I spoke/wrote in Lao as was required by the job..

In Phuket, I avoid speaking any 'southern Thai', in case folks mistake me for a taxi driver...

In my 10 years here I have never :

Removed my shoes

Worn sandals

Bowed to anyone

Eaten any Thai...................... dishes ?

Worn anything but a regular shirt - with short/long sleeves

Additionally when you cross my threshold -- you are in Chicago - the small,

sane part remaining and women are encouraged to remove ALL clothing !

We eat meat/potatoes/all identifiable veggies/hamburgers/hotdogs/jello/

peanut butter/pizza, ( no Ka Ka seafood/Hawaiian krap), drink anything

containing alcohol, tell whoppers, ( lies not burgers), & laugh a lot, ( not

the Thais who simply have no sense of Western humor).

More than you wished to know but I am sick to death of learning/teaching diversity & if someone doesn't understand me - to hell with them !

• Like 1

The question is - expats do you speak Thai at home...?

But are men, who came to Thailand to marry and settle down with their Thai partners, real expats?

I don't think so.

Huh??? This makes absolutely no sense to me. Please explain.

Edited by Gecko123

The question is - expats do you speak Thai at home...?

But are men, who came to Thailand to marry and settle down with their Thai partners, real expats?

I don't think so.

The definition of expatriate is someone living outside of their country. So married or not, expatriate until naturalized.

• Like 1

By definition they are expats, but most of them want to be naturalized and stay in Thailand for a long period.

So, by mentality they are not expats.

In fact, Thailand is not a real expat environment like for example Singapore or Dubai. .

By definition they are expats, but most of them want to be naturalized and stay in Thailand for a long period.

In fact, Thailand is not a real expat environment like for example Singapore or Dubai. .

azaazo9:

You're making up your own private dictionary definitions.

I speak pidgin with my wife as that's the way that we've always communicated...I speak in limited thai with the rest of the family, mostly with the MiL and the kids...most of the men pretend to not understand what I'm saying...

and I'm quite sure that my 21 y.o. step daughter understands english but she does't reveal this to anyone...she is a smart cookie and a sneaky little wench and I can't help but love her...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1

I find Thai good for the basics in life but for most kind of intellectual conversations it falls short. Even after many years it has to be a good dose of English to stop me slipping into early Alzheimers ! Although English can be too analytical for many Thais and drive them slowly mental, so you have to strike a balance.

Before my toddler went on a seven week trip with mum to Loei her favourite word was ' mai' (no) . Since she came back her new favourite is 'bor' (no in isaan). Oh well; my children, the grown up ones and toddler are the only Thais i speak English with almost exclusively. With everybody else at home or out it is nearly always Thai. I learnt to speak , read and write Thai when i was first here in the early eighties and it has helped to make my life fulfilled and happy in so many ways. It also directly helped to make me a rather tidy sum of money. Just call me retired, 53 and happy in Thailand.

I find Thai good for the basics in life but for most kind of intellectual conversations it falls short. Even after many years it has to be a good dose of English to stop me slipping into early Alzheimers ! Although English can be too analytical for many Thais and drive them slowly mental, so you have to strike a balance.

Totally agree, and people who do not understand this just understand nothing and for sure not Thai and Thai language.

I sit and read all of these posts and smile. We live in the USA most of the time, staying in Thailand but a month or so annually. We live an hour and a half Northeast of Atlanta within an enclave of Lao and Lao-Isaan immigrants. Some have been here since the fall of Laos in 1975. A majority of those immigrants speak no English, yet they survive and get by. If a need arises, they find a next-generation family-member or someone like me to get them through their dilemma. People adapt and problem-solve as their needs change. So, if you get along without speaking Thai while living in Thailand, go for it. Basics and survival mode occur everywhere.

• Like 1

Desire to be naturalized has no bearing on the definition. Your fact has no relation to reality.