Does anyone else live cheaply in Thailand?

Conversely; Just to poke a stick in the wasp's nest; I understand there are also many 'digital nomads' here who not only make, yet spend billions of baht a day, also get all the HiSo women from Thong Lor for free.

When they do lower their standards to bar girls it's always for ''free'' they also only go with the cream of the coyote girls; then they only pay them so they understand that it is a strict 'customer/bar girl' relationship and they are NOT a couple....or so I believe....

Edited by ThePlant
  • Like 1

I pretty much obsess over how cheap I can score rent in Thailand. I hate wasting money on rent when there are all these cheapie rooms everywhere going for so little money. When I look at apartment prices in the US I'm just disgusted and simply shake my head. People waste so much money just putting a roof over their heads. Why not spend your money on something more meaningful? (Like gogos for example? w00t.gif ) I consider $100 a month(3300 baht) expensive for an apartment in Thailand. I seldom spend more. My next apartment will probably not be more than 2,000 baht per month($60). Try finding an apartment that cheap in the states these days. Can't be done.

By apartment I take it you mean a shitty room with limited natural light, no kitchen, no aircon, in a building with no pool, no gym and which looks fugly. Probably not even close to a BTS or a decent supermarket.

No thanks.

There seem to be a very large number of Westerners living as cheaply as possible in Thailand judging by the various topics on Thai Visa. I expect this thread will have 400 replies by the end of the week. What do you spend all that time on the bus doing?

sweating

I recently purchased a thai style portable electric cooker, the main reason is I wanted a better diet, I regularly go to the gym so wanted to a high protein intake, so I've started cooking my own food, scrambled eggs for breakfast, chicken baguette for lunch and chicken with broccoli for evening meal (obviously vary it daily), it's

costing me a very small amount to live like this and I've

got a very healthy diet.

Edited by mick01827
  • Like 1

There seem to be a very large number of Westerners living as cheaply as possible in Thailand judging by the various topics on Thai Visa. I expect this thread will have 400 replies by the end of the week. What do you spend all that time on the bus doing?

What I noticed is that I see very few white people taking the bus in Bangkok. I do see them on occasion but very rarely. I'm not sure why this is the case as you can easily use Google maps for mapping where the buses go.

I think part of the problem is nobody knows how much to pay but until you learn that I just held my hand out with change and let her pick the right amount.

Here are the problem with the busses. First, I seem to always have to wait a long time for the number bus I need. Sometimes I wonder if I am in the right spot. Waited over 20 minutes yesterday for the 35 only to walk away thinking it was the wrong place only for it to pass me a block down the street.

The other big issue is it does waste more time than the BTS,MTR, It has to deal with traffic and also you waiting for the bus. However, without traffic they move quite fast as they don't waste much time at the stops.

The other thing I love about the busses is how crazy they are. They don't come to a full stop many times when getting off and always start moving before you are fully on. That is just awesome as long as you're not old I guess. Many times also the busses can be quite filled, but when they are not they are very spacious and nice airflow through them.

No you BKK guys - here in Chiang Mai we're not in the least jealous with your taxis, trains and buses. We're not torn by decision making; we either walk or catch a red van - ฿20. Yes, there are tuk-tuks, here, but I'm too mean to fork out ฿80 - 100 per trip. tongue.png

I can't believe how cheap I've become even though the prices for most things are less than in USA.

I think I stopped comparing prices to $USD here and look at alternatives, what else my money can buy.

I'll take the local busses instead of the BTS / Skytrain. Why pay 40-50 baht when I can pay 8 baht. I am not in a rush so I can do this. If I take the bus, the savings are a free meal.

I find myself walking a lot also, I won't pay BTS/Skyline for that 1 stop ripoff.

I walked away from a thai food place because they seemed to have doubled their prices since I was last here 2 years ago. 65 baht for fried rice with pork, nope I'm not paying that even though it was the only place around at night. I'll pay 40 baht max, and normally 30 baht for that.

9 baht ice cream cones in McDonalds, That's my main dessert.

I don't know, I just can't help being cheap even though I have a reasonable amount in the bank.

The sad part is when I get back home to USA I sometimes can't believe how cheap I was as I wish I can get the same meal in USA for even 65 baht. LOL.

I just love the pricing in Thailand for the quality of life you get. This wasn't the case in the Philippines, very bad food, annoying beggars and hustlers, scams and crime. I needed to move out of my place for a few months in new York and it was by far cheaper to fly and live over here for a few months than move to places like Florida or Las Vegas.

I don't find Thailand very cheap compared to the US.

Good beer is very expensive.

The bus where I'm from is free.

Western food is expensive in Thailand.

All in all the best bargain in Thailand compared with the U.S. is rent.

Geezus alah Buddha Moses aquaman canarysun ! Can you be my accountant?

I think my airconditioner and my fridge running pull up a bigger tab per month than you do.

I don't like air con i use a fan and as for " a fridge " i don't have one in my room! ( but i do have " a lovely wardrobe " viewers to keep my 4 t shirts 4 pairs of swimming shorts and my newly " resoled Kitto flip flops.oh and i shave once a week as i have nobody to impress.( only the Thai Visa viewers.....)

God bless you all !

F.J x

haha, your as happy as a cat with a cream flavoured arse lad and who can fault ya...
  • Like 2

Looks like Canarysun has some real competition in being The Cheapest of The Charlie's.

It must be a fun life......NOT.

People who come to Thailand because they're too cheap to live anywhere else worry me - but nowhere near as much as they worry the Thai!

• Like 1

Things are cheap, people are frugal (taking the positive view). I hate the American use of the word "cheap" applied to people; if you want to be negative, use "mean" (British sense) or stingy or tight-fisted or penny-pinching, etc etc.

• Like 1

Most of the OPs points don't sound Cheap Charley to me, but are simply common sense:

- would you take the bus/tube/... for 1 stop back home? I don't. So why take the BTS for 1 stop?

- Outside rush hours, the bus and song taews are cheap and fast. They can even beat the BTS if both approach at the same time.

- 30-40 baht meals, food courts. Aroy and good value for money. For dinner Korean BBQs for 140-180 baht. Very sanook too with friends.

- buy 20-30 baht coffee on the street, why bother with Starcrap?

- For short term stay, 500-600 baht a night for s hotel, no more then 800.

- 3rd class train BKK-Ayuttaya or where ever.

All perfectly normal in my book.

You are khi nok if you:

- wait for the free bus

- spent no more then 100 baht a day on food

- try to save 1-2 baht by finding the cheapest place for a specific item.

- avoid BTS, taxi etc. at all cost and rather spent 3 hours to your destination then 10 minutes.

- never ever leave change as a tip, never tip the cleaning lady 20 baht etc. Basically spending every baht as if you are paying 10-25 euro/pounds/dollar.

• Like 1

Whats living cheaply? I spend about $3000USD here a month. Thats everything with two of us

3000 US Dollars a month! ? You are having a laugh! This is Thailand not Monte Carlo ".....555

Same here. Impossible to live at the same standard as in the UK on less than that - for 2 adults and an infant. I don't drink or smoke either, and neither does my wife. This is just rent, food, travel, internet/mobile tariff costs, health insurance, etc. We mostly cook at home too. Our rent is under 20k too.

Things are cheap, people are frugal (taking the positive view). I hate the American use of the word "cheap" applied to people; if you want to be negative, use "mean" (British sense) or stingy or tight-fisted or penny-pinching, etc etc.

"tighter than a fishes are3ehole" British/ Aust sense lol

Or my mate in Australia "fisher's"

Made 200k Aussie last year but he's never been out of the country. Most miserable prick I've met so much for his big plans his wife left him now all he talks about is hanging himself. Still won't take a holiday.. he's gotta make back what he lost. Hope soon he figures out what lifes all about and gets to enjoy a bit of that cash.

If only he realised how far his money would go if he came here.

How long would 200k -5.4Mb- last you guys? 10 years?

Or could you leave it in the bank and live off the interest?

»Does anyone else live cheaply in Thailand?«

It’s depending of life-style, but yes, I think many.

Agree with you walking instead of 1 stop by Sky Train, and taking the train instead of other, more expensive mean of transport – and looking for another street food vendor if prices are increased too much. Sensible thinking – even one have enough money in the pocket – and by the way, some walking is also more healthy...

I do the same when in Bangkok. thumbsup.gif

Compared to many Western countries you can live extremely cheap in Thailand if you dine more locally and not eat Western food every day that can be as expensive or almost as expensive as home – i.e. your money can last longer or you can have a better life style for the same amount – that’s what a lot of retired people found out and moved... smile.png

I admire your way of living :)

Indeed, there are many things that we don't really need in life. And we could all stick to the basics, saving a lot of money at the same time.

But... Personally, I still prefer Swensens ice cream than the Mc Donald's one ;)

And because I enjoy many other things that you smartly put aside, my lifestyle's costs are "slightly" higher than yours.

Anyway, to everybody his own life, and own lifestyle... As long as your are happy, and as long as our spendings help the economy and to create jobs, all is ok.

Cheers.

• Like 1

I feel disgusted by people like you who want to take advantage of poor people who are trying to get ahead and have a family to support.

Says the bloke who's parked his colossal, reversing alarm-equipped arse in Thailand so he can bang local totty half his age for a fraction of the price it'd cost him for something twice as rough in Backwater Creek.

Could you BE any more hypocritical?

Mr CypressHill,

How do you know this is true about ATF?

I happen to know the man, his arse is perky and barely average in size.

If the forty he was bangin was half his age, she'd be school aged & she's not. Also half the bootie in the ATF cave was much more expensive in LOS than what he could of bought it for back in crystal creek.

For FS, the man spent more money on a speaker cable than you most likely earnt In the last financial year.

When will you get it, these lads arnt old, are here for other reasons than the local botty(that's just a bonus) & that not everyone is like ur digital pikey mates.

Do you understand?

• Like 1

Rent: I live in a small village. I could not rent very many places for 2,000 baht/month, especially with free wifi/satellite TV. That's 66 baht a night. Sounds like a flop-house with a toilet down the hall, maybe a Hong Kong style cage hotel, or maybe your rent is being subsidized in exchange for you providing sexual services to your room mate. I don't know, but it's definitely outside the scope of my experience.

If you drive up the 1001 from CM to MaeJo, and turn right at the BeLive traffic lights, there is a big sign, rooms 1,500bht with free wifi. That's about 12KM from CM town center, not a small village but a brand new apt block in a town.

• Like 1