Does anyone else live cheaply in Thailand?

I once spoke to a chap from London who reckoned he could live on 100 baht a day, excluding accommodation (probably 3,000 - 4,000 baht / month) . He didn't drink, so just wandered around all the time eating local and seemed to be enjoying himself

I might be " the chap " that you spoke to.............wai2.gif

• Like 1

What are you talking about, i'm talking about the usa housing situation. And yes single family homes need to be knocked down in big cities so peopke can move into them when there is a housing shortage and prices are unaffordable.

Plenty of empty houses in the USA, not enough people to fill them.

You want to turn the USA into Thailand, full of empty condo buildings owned by hopeful flippers?

Inner cities of the USA, get everyone to live with gang bangers, great idea!

One wonders if you have ever lived in any USA city?

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Misc: Aren't you forgetting a few things? Dental floss? Razor blades? Toothbrushes? Shaving cream? Shampoo? Body soap? Sun tan Iotion/sun screen for all that time out in the sun? Talcum powder to cool down the chaffing after those long walks? I pretty much have to buy a 300 baht phone card from AIS12-Call every month to keep my cell phone activated. That alone would blow your 500 baht budget.

And then there's the big ticket items: clothes, education, hobbies, vacations, medical, dental, medicine, eyewear, gifts, charitable donations, transportation, reading materials, entertainment, household appliances (TV, computer, refrigerator, stove, fans), FURNITURE, kitchen utensil purchase/replacement, shoes, language lessons, childcare, medical insurance, life insurance, auto insurance, vehicle maintenance and repair, etc.,etc.

What recycler said 9 minutes ago is 100% correct. Short term anything's possible. Long-term it's a whole 'nutter ball game.

Dental floss, don't use it, it's a gimmick.

Razor blades, 10bht a month for a disposable.

Toothbrush, 20bht every 6 months.

Shaving cream, don't use it, it's a gimmick, bit of normal soap on your face is just as good.

Shampoo, 100bht every 3 months, Watsons own brand.

Sun lotion, avoid sun, its bad for you, 7/11 sell ARON UV30 factor for less than 40bht a big one, hidden away from the expensive ones, shhh for Thais only.

Body soap, 40bht for 4 big bars.

Talcum powder, only for girls and babies.

Phone card, 100bht lasts me 3 or 4 months, DTAC charge 2bht a month to keep your card activated.

Can't believe you guys want to add such trivial amounts to your budget.

No deodorant? it is pretty expensive so maybe canary sun does not use it, a year and a half or so ago, I bought about 10 cans from the UK, in the pound shops there can be 2 for £1... here, its like 150b for a can half the size of the ones I got (but named brand here). My supplies of Brute 33 and Hai Karate are running low now, so I am starting to panic

I have heard thought that thais use talc as deodorant - I hope they don't have to spend 130b a can on the named brand stuff as that is almost half a days wages for a thai on minimum wages... in the UK, if you were on minimum wage, that can of deodorant would be the equivalent of £22.75 based on 21+ wages for £6.50 an hour.

• Like 1

I just also blew 3000b on christmas foods... wow, the smallest turkey I could find was 697b for a butter ball one... wine etc... danm... I hate myself for spending all that but I wanted to do it just once.

Other christmas costs involved xmas cards back home and presents... so thats another budget breaker - think I only spend £100 in total on cards and gifts for people in UK, but I just have to and want to do it.

Misc: Aren't you forgetting a few things? Dental floss? Razor blades? Toothbrushes? Shaving cream? Shampoo? Body soap? Sun tan Iotion/sun screen for all that time out in the sun? Talcum powder to cool down the chaffing after those long walks? I pretty much have to buy a 300 baht phone card from AIS12-Call every month to keep my cell phone activated. That alone would blow your 500 baht budget.

And then there's the big ticket items: clothes, education, hobbies, vacations, medical, dental, medicine, eyewear, gifts, charitable donations, transportation, reading materials, entertainment, household appliances (TV, computer, refrigerator, stove, fans), FURNITURE, kitchen utensil purchase/replacement, shoes, language lessons, childcare, medical insurance, life insurance, auto insurance, vehicle maintenance and repair, etc.,etc.

What recycler said 9 minutes ago is 100% correct. Short term anything's possible. Long-term it's a whole 'nutter ball game.

Dental floss, don't use it, it's a gimmick.

Razor blades, 10bht a month for a disposable.

Toothbrush, 20bht every 6 months.

Shaving cream, don't use it, it's a gimmick, bit of normal soap on your face is just as good.

Shampoo, 100bht every 3 months, Watsons own brand.

Sun lotion, avoid sun, its bad for you, 7/11 sell ARON UV30 factor for less than 40bht a big one, hidden away from the expensive ones, shhh for Thais only.

Body soap, 40bht for 4 big bars.

Talcum powder, only for girls and babies.

Phone card, 100bht lasts me 3 or 4 months, DTAC charge 2bht a month to keep your card activated.

Can't believe you guys want to add such trivial amounts to your budget.

No deodorant? it is pretty expensive so maybe canary sun does not use it, a year and a half or so ago, I bought about 10 cans from the UK, in the pound shops there can be 2 for £1... here, its like 150b for a can half the size of the ones I got (but named brand here). My supplies of Brute 33 and Hai Karate are running low now, so I am starting to panic

I have heard thought that thais use talc as deodorant - I hope they don't have to spend 130b a can on the named brand stuff as that is almost half a days wages for a thai on minimum wages... in the UK, if you were on minimum wage, that can of deodorant would be the equivalent of £22.75 based on 21+ wages for £6.50 an hour.

Hello! ( Terry Thomas voice )

Yes of course I use deodorant but not if I am on the beach sunbathing! But I buy all those things on the " buy 1 get 1 free" then you have stock for the following month! It's my birthday today so maybe I should use some deodorant.....What do you think viewers...? x

• Like 1

I just also blew 3000b on christmas foods... wow, the smallest turkey I could find was 697b for a butter ball one... wine etc... danm... I hate myself for spending all that but I wanted to do it just once.

Other christmas costs involved xmas cards back home and presents... so thats another budget breaker - think I only spend £100 in total on cards and gifts for people in UK, but I just have to and want to do it.

Mrs Naam blew 1,045 Baht on a Christmas gift for me and our dogs. a huge pork roast with a crisp crust from Villa Market, Pattaya.

• Like 1

Mrs Naam blew 1,045 Baht on a Christmas gift for me and our dogs. a huge pork roast with a crisp crust from Villa Market, Pattaya.

7Kg of pork seems a lot to eat.

it's more like 1.5kg

it's more like 1.5kg

You were overcharged.

I have a sort of monthly budget... I subtract out the few expenses I still have each month back in the States from my monthly pension. Then put some in savings... Then pay other expenses that I keep to a reasonable minimum -- rent, electric, etc.

Since I can cook in my apartment, I cook what I like and eat very little Thai food mostly do to my food preferences solidified many many years before coming to Thailand. Spicy hot food wasn't on my menu in America and is not on my menu here... Quite serious sea food allergies cut the variety of food choices down... but I eat well, rent a motorcycle, fly to see my Thai g/f -- will move there soon. Since I can pay the normal overhead and still have money in the budget, I tend to buy myself some special food items other type of little gift to myself from time to time..

Bottom line I do not have to scrimp by even though my pension is only modest. Even with Western style food being a bit expensive here in Thailand, I have been able to do just fine. And I note: I could not possibly live as well in the States for the same amount of money. There would be little variety, little entertainment and certainly no adventure. Financial status is very restrictive in America.

I am quite happy that I do not have to worry about finding a 40 baht meal at a Thai restaurant. It is great to have a good life - a fun life and not have to worry about having enough money. I don't worry about money much at all - and it is certainly not because I am rich. It is because I made a good choice in coming to Thailand...

• Like 2

it's more like 1.5kg
You were overcharged.

not me, my wife. must be the racist Thai double pricing which applies to Farangs crying.gif

by the way, the taste is excellent. neither me nor my dogs got a whiff of overcharge and we are contemplating to have another helping for breakfast in an hour or two.