Bangkok shakedown: Tourists report increased harassment by police

webfact

So, where are the numbers, the stats, .. anything about a targeted profile type? .. age group?

People wearing beach gear in the streets? ... Smarter respectfully dressed people?

I have certainly seen loads of slobs and thugs queuing for entry at many places. Maybe someone has just spat the dummy, and going after all younger tourists, happy to throw out the babies with the bath water.

I can't believe that people are actually debating whether or not this is happening and then making stupid excuses for why it might be happening.

It IS happening and I've seen it with my own eyes.

My friend here, American of latino decent, who dresses every day in a suit and tie, who runs a very successful chain of businesses here with a couple of locations between Thong Lor and Asoke has been stopped and searched multiple times and piss tested on the side of the road once in the last two weeks. Sometimes he was walking and sometimes he was in a taxi, and it happened at various times of day from afternoon to late evening.

The idea that the cops are just shaking down grungy backpackers is just bullsh*t.

The facts are pretty simple... the dear leader has cut off many of the traditional cash sources from the RTP and they are desperate to find new revenue sources. AND they need to do something that that the Army isn't going to stop them from doing... Thus, searches for drugs... who can argue with that?

Now.... who do we search??? Hmmm... The average Thai doesn't have any money to steal... The affluent Thais have money, but they are too well connected to <deleted> with.... I know, lets extort money from the TOURISTS! They have money and they have no connections to protect them... And to sweeten the pot, why mess with the backpackers who have limited budgets? Go after the business guys with some money and who will cough up the cash just to end the harassment and extortion.

I've lived here 5 years and until recently, I really loved living here... the last 6 months or so have changed my mind. If I were not married to a Thai I would be heading elsewhere.

This country is just self destructing as we watch and not one of these idiots has the sense to realize it.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While he didn’t get stopped, searched, asked to show ID, or urine tested, he did witness the police fining some tourists 2000 baht (US$61) for dropping cigarette butts. When he took a picture of this happening, he was chased by the officers involved and had to hide out in a mall.

It's the BMA and not the police.

As a sideline, I have witnessed that Asians were stopped by the BMA and fined 2000B but just 20 meters away Thai's dumped butts on the road and the BMA just ignored them. As for me I carry a portable ashtray with me which I always use in Singapore.

...although due to their unofficial nature these reports remain unverifiable.

Like most of the TV fear-mongering messages.

bat.jpg

They may want to justify themselves by catching a Farang with a big bag of Gear rather than give up the tea money

Or generate more clicks on TV and stir-up the "tea money" soap opera drama queens.

Maybe the police have some sort of special radar that can pick out the gormless twits.

So when was the last time you lived or walked and stayed in Asok?whistling.gif

I walk down Asoke and Sukhumvit most days. I live in Thong Lor and my daughter goes to nursery nearby. I have yet to be stopped and searched but can see a massive increase in Police activity. Go to a money changer and when you turn around a cop is staring at you, same when you use an ATM. At 4pm try and count the police on the pavement on the corner of Asoke and Sukhumvit on the Soi 23 side, you'll lose count at 30ish . Many stories in the pubs and bars in that area of people being pulled off bikes and out of taxis by the cops, all ages but all farangs, some are pensioners. Keep this up Bangkok and amongst other reasons you'll just push all those tourist £'s and $'s into the waiting grateful arms of Cambodia and Vietnam.

The fine is 2000 for dropping ciggy butts on the floor but I'd bet the farm that the cop just pockets that.

I've never had a problem in Suki with cops but there does seem to be a sharp increase in the number of these stories recently.

I got done for dropping my cigarette butt near Emporium about 6 months ago. I negotiated the fine down to 600 baht.

Me too at Asoke in front of times square. It was the regular rent a cop security guard that caught me but took me over to a police box with the real cops. I had a conversation and made a few jokes with them in Thai and he let me off with just 500. They even seemed to have a little metal bribe box to keep their takings in.

Cops have let me off scott free for minor offences because my spoken Thai isn't too bad. Not in every case though. And most tourists don't have that luxury.

It is a fine box,and you where fined for your filthy habit of dropping ciggy's where ever you feel like it.Both of you.

Wow. What a holier than thou <deleted> you are...

I don't know why this is news. Been happening for years and years.blink.png

You are totally wrong and it never happened as often as lately.

The pee tests are really happening a lot lately but the corrupt cops at the only goldshop between Sukhumvit Soi 18 and the BTA station has been harassing tourists for years by demanding to see their passports and if you don't carry it he will demand payment without a receipt.

Thailand does not seem to be able to stay out of world news and NOT in a good light.

This, along with Hitler, along with murders just keeps on coming.

And for some reason little to no damage control at all.

You would think there would be an official statement from authorities to investigate the reports or issue a directive to stop.facepalm.gif

Generally speaking, the Thais really don't care what foreigners think.

That's true,until it hits their pockets.

It may be too late by then.

Having lived in Bangkok for most of 2003-2008 I can tell you that this was never happening then, and no one was talking about it. Rarely (very rarely) a person was asked to pay a fine for littering, but that was it.

The Thonglor area has been know for this for years just because you didn't hear about it didn't mean it wasn't happening

People getting fined for dropping cigarette butts is fair enough, but shaking down innocent people is really low, even for the Thai police. If they really want to find drugs, they know where to go.

People getting fined for dropping cigarette butts is fair enough

...not if this happens at the same time with no authority taking up the case for years

PHUKET-Jahrelange-Umweltverschmutzung-ma

sad.png This is pretty sad for Thailand, it would be nice for things to change but alass it will probably not happen in the near future.. so much for the land of smiles it is becomming the land of crooksfacepalm.gif Been comming here scince 1993 and might be the last time for me....Sad wai2.gif

Thailand does not seem to be able to stay out of world news and NOT in a good light.

You would think there would be an official statement from authorities to investigate the reports or issue a directive to stop.facepalm.gif

Congratulations "Mr Johnson"

Your post is the most applicable here amongst the 70+ replies as being the post at the end of the day, which really sums the whole topic up..........Guys, NOTHING will change now or in the future. I quite like this forum, love Thailand, love my Thai family, have been here a long time, but have a long time back understood......This is Thailand......It is for the Thai's and all others setting foot on this land are here for one purpose and one purpose only!

That is to bring in your money and use as much of it as you can for the benefit of Thailand and their people.....

They care about nothing else. Learn this and learn it well and you will not be frustrated here.

Edited by fishhooks

The fine is 2000 for dropping ciggy butts on the floor but I'd bet the farm that the cop just pockets that.

I've never had a problem in Suki with cops but there does seem to be a sharp increase in the number of these stories recently.

I got done for dropping my cigarette butt near Emporium about 6 months ago. I negotiated the fine down to 600 baht.

Do you mean you paid a bribe and therefore exacerbated the situation?

Her Britannic Majestys Secretary of State, requests and requires, in the name of her majesty, all those whom it may concern, to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance, and to afford the bearer such assistance and protection as may be neccessary...

Well Mr Secretary of State please be informed that these guys are giving you and your citizens the bird and you need to apply the necessary pressure to rectify it in the name of her Majesty.

If it is 2000 for a cigarette butt, what should it be for a polystyrene food container or two?

Its about time this got wider coverage.

Around 3 years ago I was stopped by a Police officer in Silom Road. He accused me of dropping a cigarette butt. I replied that I dont even smoke and turned out my pockets in front of him. He got more insistent and said I would need to pay a fine. I flatly refused, walked away and went into Pizza Hut and sat down and ordered a Pizza. The officer glared at me through the window and then 2 of them appeared.

By the time I had finished they had gone but I didnt return along Silom, but went down a side road.

What was probably more annoying than actually getting stopped, was that when I mentioned this on this forum, nobody appeared to believe me. The replies were along the lines of "Thats the normal fine for littering" etc and disbelief that the Police had completely made up the offence. Hopefully thats changing now.

I know that boasting about having well-connected Thai wives/friends on here is always treated with sceptisicm here but I am going to try and push this to the top both in Thailand and within the Thai community in the UK including the Thai embassy. In fact I am going to raise the subject anyway next time I meet up with our circle of Thai friends and I will be putting together some evidence from the web. If anyone does get any video evidence I will show it to them. This has got to stop.

I believe you certainly.

Several years ago I had an appointment with a tailor on Sukhumvit but I came early and sat in front of the shop and had a smoke and dropped a cigarette butt (on Private property - Korea Town).

The BMA guy got a tip-off from one of the fruit-sellers and told me to come with him to the booth but I refused as Korea Town is private property and they are only permitted to charge you a fine if you dump a butt on the streets.

I told him in Thai that this is private property and BMA has no right to find me. In the meantime the tailor opened and those two nuts too waited in front for me to come out. When I came out after fittings they tried to harras me again, so I called the owner of Korea Town which is a Thai Indian family and they backed off. They have seen me many many times since then with a cigarette and smoking but never followed me again.

The Police needs a cleanup but so does the BMA.

That's because there is no real unification here, it's every pirate for himself, in uniform or not. Take what you can get lads, the ship is sinking....

Your post is the most applicable here amongst the 70+ replies as being the post at the end of the day, which really sums the whole topic up..........Guys, NOTHING will change now or in the future. I quite like this forum, love Thailand, love my Thai family, have been here a long time, but have a long time back understood......This is Thailand......It is for the Thai's and all others setting foot on this land are here for one purpose and one purpose only!

That is to bring in your money and use as much of it as you can for the benefit of Thailand and their people.....

They care about nothing else. Learn this and learn it well and you will not be frustrated here.

With your mindset' can't see a problem for you being employed at TAT. Apologists like you are the Backbone of Thai society. Not, how us normal Farangs see it from our point of view. You must have loved getting shafted wherever you came from Once Upon A Time !!!!.

Edited by ScotBkk

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This has been happening for decades.

Thailand is under Marshal Law, remember.

So how does your comment about 'under martial law remember' connect to t'his has been happening for decades? '

Maybe because since 1932 there hasn't been much else.

It never ceases to amaze me whenever this subject is being discussed how many people really HAVE dropped cigarette butts. Not only does this completely detract from the subject under discussion because the Police in these cases are simply enforcing the rules rather than harassing people for no reason but it really makes the poster seem like a bit of a prat.

We are discussing the serious subject of Police harassment and extortion here, not law enforcement.

Edited by andyww

It never ceases to amaze me whenever this subject is being discussed how many people really HAVE dropped cigarette butts. Not only does this completely detract from the subject under discussion because the Police in these cases are simply enforcing the rules rather than harassing people for no reason but it really makes the poster seem like a bit of a prat.

We are discussing the serious subject of Police harassment and extortion here, not law enforcement.

Umm..the police AREN'T enforcing the rules there though are they? Instead of issuing the correct fine they are taken all profit into their pocket.

Is it tourists, or is it those who live here also? I've never experienced an incident because I speak Thai.

If you live here, learn the lingo. If you don't.... not much will change in ATTACKING tourists, I'm afraid.

Tourists do not generally speak Thai, and they are the ones supposedly being targeted in greater numbers than ever. May I remind you that a senior police officer has stated that you have the right to refuse.

You miss the point. People are harrassed into paying on the spot fines. Not an official fine.

Just like with shakedowns they are looking for leverage so they can get money.

How long you have been here is irrelevant, how much you love Thailand has got nothing to do with it, I've been here since the 80's but that has no bearing on this issue. People accept that the Thais are only interesting in taking money from you but even in Pat Pong you get something back. people are right to feel frustrated and concerned that the law enforcement officers can stop travellers in a taxi and take money from them or demand a urine test is beyond acceptable, it's theft, harassment and criminal. These recent events are a dramatic upswing in the usual " get money off the faring" tactics which you don't seem to have grasped. The fact that you consider this acceptable because , as you want us all to know, you've been here a long time makes this even more sadder, I pity you but will still urge you to consider how awful it is to see pensioners or teenagers on a dream trip to Asia being robbed by those that are here to protect them. Shame on them and shame on anybody that accepts that.