Bangkok shakedown: Tourists report increased harassment by police

webfact

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was recently in Bangkok to do some work courses , medical etc and noticed a massive difference in the place since i was last up 6 months ago.. Have never seen so many police out on foot up and down the Asok, Sukhumvit area.. I was at Asok station, walked along the sky walk towards Exchange tower and across the road i saw 2 quite fit farang girls (aged around middle 20´s) taking some "selfies" photos of each other, when they went to walk up the stairs to the sky walk, 4 cops followed them up the stairs, surrounded them, while doing a search of their bags, while one stodd there with a bit of paper explaining something... No idea what they were stopped for, didnt realise taking photos was an offence??? But i also tried to film them , and when one of the cops saw me with my mobile in my hand he pointed at me , so i walked away...This was also the first time i´ve had someone try rob me on the street, since they started closing evry bar by 2 , noticed more and more hookers / ladyboys on the street, There was a mass of police in the nana plaza area, but further down the road loads of girls, and 2 ladyboys tried to take my wallet from my back pocket...and i thought that was a pattaya thing wink.png

That's another thing...as well as the day time street stalls have now been shut down on most of sukhumvit so have many of the late night street bars also especially Monday night now which sees no bars open from soi 7 onwards at all.Not just the police rent income has disappeared from here now so has a lot of the late night income for the street walkers who also rely on money from the farangs who used to drink there.One tip Ricky don't walk with a backpack around there at night time mate..that's just asking for trouble especially now!

I also forgot to mention the amount of Africans now around the sukhumvit, nana area..especially, i noticed 1 little tink , wearing the same clothes , 4 nights running i noticed him following people, getting close bye trying to pickpocket them, at the cross roads top of soi 4 , he tried it with me one night, as i was walking from THE GAME sports bar, about 20 yards from the traffic lights i felt someone right behind me, followed me to the crossing, i then turned around, faced him up and walked at him, he ran off...definitely up to something...like i said, 4 nights in a row i happened to see him do the same thing to others..

Keep it up Thailand,, just keep doing what you're doing and you will get the result you are so desperate for.... That being loss of tourists and loss of foreign investment.

How many foreigners living here just feel like enough is enough right now? I have been stopped a lot of times riding my motorbike through Sukhumvit,, around Rama IV, Thong Lor and Prom Phong,, all nonsense as i had done nothing wrong but they wrote me a few tickets anyway. Always carry my ID, passport copy and work permit so everything is always in order... still doesn't stop them,

Such complete stupidity deserves nothing more then a huge hole in the economy, its coming, its not a maybe, its coming,,,,

I for one am looking at options elsewhere and as soon as they are finalised I take me and my business and exports with me..

As an American planning to retire in about 18 months, I was considerng Chiang Mai. But...how many farangs are there in Thailand at a given moment? Two million? Five million? How many get murdered per week?? Even Houston, Texas, a city of 5 million+, seems safer. I can locate several pleasent-enough locations in the U.S., places where there aren't any jobs so the houses are cheap, as low as $35-40,000 (I mean pleasant countryside, not Detroit). So even detached houses are cheaper in the US!--at least if you don't need to be near jobs.

There might be 150 murders a year in Houston, and almost none of them are white. (In other words, it's drug dealers shooting other drug dealers, or barrio macho guys losing their hot tempers). Meanwhile a farang gets murdered almost every other day in Thailand. I only consider Thailand because of the women, and I mean nice women, not bg's

"A farang gets murdered almost every other day in Thailand"??! Nothing like a bit of ridiculous exaggeration to make your point eh?

Not that exaggerated really - though murdered might not be the best descriptor!

RTP .....corrupt bunch combined with low education Always leads to problems !! Now they need Money for the upcoming holidayseason !!

I have seen this happen Before when I used to live in Thailand. This is a big problem for Thailand....and it need to be fixed urgently !!

If you are approached or harrased by a police man....do not allow them to search you, tell them that you need to Contact your Embassy

because you need legal assistance from them Before the search takes Place !! Good Luck out there !!

What is truly incredible is that people think this is a new thing or denying it happens at all. No matter how long you have been in Thailand or 'love' the place and ''your'' Thai family, or how well you think you can sa-peaka da language you'll be just as valid a target in their eyes if you're a Westerner.

This seems to have been a mandate from Thong Lor police for a long time now. I recall being stopped and searched at Ekkamai back in 2001 along with the only other Western passenger on the bus from Chanthaburi - an elderly man - who they also searched thoroughly (they didn't stop a single Thai).

Trink made an issue of the Ekkamai searches and this topic has jumped up to prominence from time to time for more than a decade now. When it last sprang to prominence a few years ago it soon fell away once the cops were told to calm it down a little.

I was in a cab around three years ago near Asok BTS when, on seeing me in my cab, three cops came running off the pavement towards my cab jibbering and jabbering like monkeys but the driver on seeing them said '<deleted> this' and managed to slip into the outside lane (the oly lane of moving traffic, and power on our way. Since then I avoid that area like the plague yet reports have abounded on various BKK based blogs, both English and Thai.

Please send the message the country may understand, do not come to Thailand, the country has been on the downslide for 5 years, if you think it cannot get worse it will.

I have known Thailand for 40 years and have lived here 5 years now. If I could afford to live elsewhere I would.

Maybe 10 years ago In my little home town this same thing started happening.

The smoking police per order of the board of health banned smoking starting in bars and restaurants. Lots of small mom and pops family restaurants gone now sad to see..

Now cannot smoke anyplace except your house it seems,

funny they still collect tax revenue of these evil killer smokes…

total ban would be the best option if they really cared about peoples health.

Then from smoking bans the roadblocks started under the pretense of looking for drunk drivers even if no crime or traffic violation has been committed you have to submit to the police interrogators, breath test even if no drinking,no seat belt=fine,plate light out=fine, anything to generate cash for the police and the government...

Same same here in Thailand now…

same same but different.

Its about time this got wider coverage.

Around 3 years ago I was stopped by a Police officer in Silom Road. He accused me of dropping a cigarette butt. I replied that I dont even smoke and turned out my pockets in front of him. He got more insistent and said I would need to pay a fine. I flatly refused, walked away and went into Pizza Hut and sat down and ordered a Pizza. The officer glared at me through the window and then 2 of them appeared.

By the time I had finished they had gone but I didnt return along Silom, but went down a side road.

What was probably more annoying than actually getting stopped, was that when I mentioned this on this forum, nobody appeared to believe me. The replies were along the lines of "Thats the normal fine for littering" etc and disbelief that the Police had completely made up the offence. Hopefully thats changing now.

I know that boasting about having well-connected Thai wives/friends on here is always treated with sceptisicm here but I am going to try and push this to the top both in Thailand and within the Thai community in the UK including the Thai embassy. In fact I am going to raise the subject anyway next time I meet up with our circle of Thai friends and I will be putting together some evidence from the web. If anyone does get any video evidence I will show it to them. This has got to stop.

This happened to me once as well, in front of Ploenchit Center near Sukhumvit Soi 2. One of the officers tapped me on the shoulder as I was walking up the stairs to the Ploenchit Center and said to me in English, "You dropped your cigarette." I answered him in Thai with "I don't smoke." I turned around and walked away from him. I was pleased that he didn't choose to pursue my crime of not dropping a cigarette any further.

i was fined 1000 bt a few weeks ago for slapping the cigarette from a thai mans hand in a ''clearly posted'' non smoking area near the hospital in sri racha,at the police station i thought i would see some justice but no luck....sawadee (xtra crap)...

Regardless of if you are right or wrong, You MUST mind your own business in Thailand and let the crap be. Thais really dislike Farangs who stir shit to the point that they will kill you if necessary. My wife tells me that all the times I get pissed at someone for being a jerk, or corrupt...

I don't know why this is news. Been happening for years and years.blink.png

I have been walking that area for years. I know isolated cases of tourist shakedowns are nothing new, but there is a different vibe now. It is not a case of individual officers lining their pockets. This is much more organized and extensive.

Her Britannic Majestys Secretary of State, requests and requires, in the name of her majesty, all those whom it may concern, to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance, and to afford the bearer such assistance and protection as may be neccessary...

Well Mr Secretary of State please be informed that these guys are giving you and your citizens the bird and you need to apply the necessary pressure to rectify it in the name of her Majesty.

5555,Pommy gunboat diplomacy alive and well in Thailand.The BIB will take your bird and fine you 2k baht for having one.

I don't know why this is news. Been happening for years and years.blink.png

BS...it has not

You may not have been aware of it, but it's been going on in this area for many years. Absolutely nothing new (have a read through Stickman's archives if you don't believe me).

You can go earlier than Stickman and read about it in Trink's archives....

Thailand does not seem to be able to stay out of world news and NOT in a good light.

This, along with Hitler, along with murders just keeps on coming.

And for some reason little to no damage control at all.

You would think there would be an official statement from authorities to investigate the reports or issue a directive to stop.facepalm.gif

Generally speaking, the Thais really don't care what foreigners think.

Congratulations "Mr Johnson"

Your post is the most applicable here amongst the 70+ replies as being the post at the end of the day, which really sums the whole topic up..........Guys, NOTHING will change now or in the future. I quite like this forum, love Thailand, love my Thai family, have been here a long time, but have a long time back understood......This is Thailand......It is for the Thai's and all others setting foot on this land are here for one purpose and one purpose only!

That is to bring in your money and use as much of it as you can for the benefit of Thailand and their people.....

They care about nothing else. Learn this and learn it well and you will not be frustrated here.

Perhaps if Thais did care what foreigners think, then foreigners might have a better opinion of them. Yes we live here and spend our money here without expecting a groveling thank you sir. From my point of view I'd like to be accepted, respected and treated fairly. Not a huge expectation....but unlikely to ever happen.

I would like to know the success rate for drug busts (legit ones) when foreigners have been stopped and searched.

And, just what powers do the rent-a-litter cop goons have? They are not police, they won't have any power of arrest, and where does the money supposedly go to (I don't mean their pockets)?

There have also been reports these goons have been involved with searching foreigners for drugs around Soi 15.

was recently in Bangkok to do some work courses , medical etc and noticed a massive difference in the place since i was last up 6 months ago.. Have never seen so many police out on foot up and down the Asok, Sukhumvit area.. I was at Asok station, walked along the sky walk towards Exchange tower and across the road i saw 2 quite fit farang girls (aged around middle 20´s) taking some "selfies" photos of each other, when they went to walk up the stairs to the sky walk, 4 cops followed them up the stairs, surrounded them, while doing a search of their bags, while one stodd there with a bit of paper explaining something... No idea what they were stopped for, didnt realise taking photos was an offence??? But i also tried to film them , and when one of the cops saw me with my mobile in my hand he pointed at me , so i walked away...This was also the first time i´ve had someone try rob me on the street, since they started closing evry bar by 2 , noticed more and more hookers / ladyboys on the street, There was a mass of police in the nana plaza area, but further down the road loads of girls, and 2 ladyboys tried to take my wallet from my back pocket...and i thought that was a pattaya thing wink.png

That's another thing...as well as the day time street stalls have now been shut down on most of sukhumvit so have many of the late night street bars also especially Monday night now which sees no bars open from soi 7 onwards at all.Not just the police rent income has disappeared from here now so has a lot of the late night income for the street walkers who also rely on money from the farangs who used to drink there.One tip Ricky don't walk with a backpack around there at night time mate..that's just asking for trouble especially now!

I also forgot to mention the amount of Africans now around the sukhumvit, nana area..especially, i noticed 1 little tink , wearing the same clothes , 4 nights running i noticed him following people, getting close bye trying to pickpocket them, at the cross roads top of soi 4 , he tried it with me one night, as i was walking from THE GAME sports bar, about 20 yards from the traffic lights i felt someone right behind me, followed me to the crossing, i then turned around, faced him up and walked at him, he ran off...definitely up to something...like i said, 4 nights in a row i happened to see him do the same thing to others..

If you see him again get a picture of his face and post it here.

If you had to pick between Asoke and Nana to stay in would you go for?

Asoke.

Really? From what's being reported here most of the harassment is occurring in the asoke area. I would have though nana would have been better.

What's being reported here is mostly hysterical over-reaction from people who've never been near the place. And Nana is a dump.

Thailand does not seem to be able to stay out of world news and NOT in a good light.

You would think there would be an official statement from authorities to investigate the reports or issue a directive to stop.facepalm.gif

Your post is the most applicable here amongst the 70+ replies as being the post at the end of the day, which really sums the whole topic up..........Guys, NOTHING will change now or in the future. I quite like this forum, love Thailand, love my Thai family, have been here a long time, but have a long time back understood......This is Thailand......It is for the Thai's and all others setting foot on this land are here for one purpose and one purpose only!

That is to bring in your money and use as much of it as you can for the benefit of Thailand and their people.....

They care about nothing else. Learn this and learn it well and you will not be frustrated here.

Perhaps if Thais did care what foreigners think, then foreigners might have a better opinion of them. Yes we live here and spend our money here without expecting a groveling thank you sir. From my point of view I'd like to be accepted, respected and treated fairly. Not a huge expectation....but unlikely to ever happen.

The vast majority of Thais do care about foreigners same as they care about fellow Thais. However, life in Thailand is harder than most western countries. It's a dog eat dog existence here. Almost no support from the government. Survival of the fittest.

I am not happy about what the police are doing but it is understandable in the current climate. The Police have had their regular income taken away from them and are getting desperate.

They have families to feed and bills to pay.

If Police had a better wage then that would be a help to curb police corruption.

Start paying all government employees alot more and crack down on corruption.

I live close BTS Phrom Phong.
On 8th December i went by foot in BTS Thong lor direction to buy some food and drinks .
It was at night, approx. between 11:30 pm and midnight.
On the way to the shop I passed some cop, might been a police stop or something there.
I was a bit shocked, because i already heard about the shakedown from online and from a friend, whos' friend was stopped too.
so i greeted the cop, and I think he might sensed that I am nervous.
He had a face mask, so I am not really sure what face he made underneath.
Anyways I went on to buy the stuff, and headed back to my home.
On the way back 3 Motorbike cops pulled over, not sure if there also was the cop I had seen before.
They asked where I am going. and also my pockets and my wallet were searched.

the cop asked for permission before searching though. I agreed.
I also pulled my passport out of my shorts, but they didnt look inside the passport.
I told them I went to buy something, and where I live, saying my soi number in thai. only the number, my thai sucks. ;)
In the end they let me go, one cop jokingly said drink, drink, drink. because he noticed a drink in my shopping bag.
I wouldnt say they were unfriendly, but cant recall every detail now. i was quite scarred at that point haha.
I was wearing shorts and a TShirt, unshaved too. maybe i looked suspicious. :P
will go out now again to buy something, i think I will shave first.

Funny enough I must say that here in Pattaya I do see that the police is stopping a lot of foreing males. I see them asking a lot of questions and going to their belongings. It's sometimes comical when they jump ifo those motor bikes. Yesterday 4 times and the guys each time produced immediately all paperwork without being ask. So word must be getting around. I don't stick around after that to make sure I'm not next.

Sent from my S4 LTE

Edited by boike

The vast majority of Thais do care about foreigners same as they care about fellow Thais. However, life in Thailand is harder than most western countries. It's a dog eat dog existence here. Almost no support from the government. Survival of the fittest.

I am not happy about what the police are doing but it is understandable in the current climate. The Police have had their regular income taken away from them and are getting desperate.

They have families to feed and bills to pay.

If Police had a better wage then that would be a help to curb police corruption.

Start paying all government employees alot more and crack down on corruption.

So, in your opinion it's ok to abuse the power that a certain uniform gives you. To bully and extort money is ok if you have a family to support? I grew up in a far from affluent family where I was taught that the best way to make a living was the honest way.