Bangkok shakedown: Tourists report increased harassment by police

webfact

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"A lot better hotels in Nana"...than say The Sofitel (5*)The Millenium(5*)The Continent (4*)all outstanding hotels at Asoke..I somehow don't think so!

Who wants to be seen around Nana? Not me!

For christmas my best friends from Dubai were coming over to party together. Since they heard about those scams they want to meet in Singapore. Fine with me, everything is better there.

This whole scam is going viral allready. Bangkok will have a cold lonely christmas.

"A lot better hotels in Nana"...than say The Sofitel (5*)The Millenium(5*)The Continent (4*)all outstanding hotels at Asoke..I somehow don't think so!

For christmas my best friends from Dubai were coming over to party together. Since they heard about those scams they want to meet in Singapore. Fine with me, everything is better there.

This whole scam is going viral allready. Bangkok will have a cold lonely christmas.

I agree that 'not being seen' is the best way to do Nana, but cold and lonely it isn't!

Personally I find Singapore deadly dull and sterile, but each to his own.

I agree that 'not being seen' is the best way to do Nana, but cold and lonely it isn't!

Well last weekend i went to Central World and there were almost zero westerners there. Also the Asian tourists were hard to be found.

Normally around christmas many tourists would come to Bangkok for shopping/dining but this year it will be empty in the malls/hotels i guess.

Singapore has the same big malls, skytrain, nice harbour, nice markets, speaks good english, have a perfect policecorps, safe traffic, good restaurants/hotels/nightlife, nice boattrips, great parks, i wished our new HQ was moving there but Hongkong is also not bad.

Most tourists dodge Bangkok anyway. At most they do a day or two on Khaosan before pissing off down to the beaches. I doubt many of them are aware of or give a shit what's happening on Sukhumvit.

I always have a couple of days either side of the beach in BKK. Sukhumvit is the only area I know reasonably well so always go there to stay, usually Soi 11. I like City life for a few days shopping, bars sightseeing etc. and try to be street wise. Crime can put people off the City but when the Police are targeting you in this way what chance have you got. Will probably be heading straight to the beach this time, a shame.

Edited by ToneG

Well last weekend i went to Central World and there were almost zero westerners there. Also the Asian tourists were hard to be found.

Normally around christmas many tourists would come to Bangkok for shopping/dining but this year it will be empty in the malls/hotels i guess.

Singapore has the same big malls, skytrain, nice harbour, nice markets, speaks good english, have a perfect policecorps, safe traffic, good restaurants/hotels/nightlife, nice boattrips, great parks, i wished our new HQ was moving there but Hongkong is also not bad.

Seems strange. Are you sure you were at Central World? I work there and every day it is packed with Thais, Japanese and other Asians, and westerners. I doubt any of them are aware of a few extra police checks going on in a small part of Asok.

Of course Bangkok doesn't suit everyone, but while Singapore might be nice for a shopping weekend it offers very little that Thailand does and has zero character.

Edited by brewsterbudgen

I lived on Sukhumvit 50 in 2011. We had a small neighborhood shop at the end of my soi, and I often went there to buy beer at night.

Every night, there were policemen drinking scotch at a table outside, and when I dropped in, they'd say hello.

One night, when it was Father's Day, I did my run, and the police were there with a bottle of JW on the table. They asked if I wanted to drink with them, and I begged off. Instantly, the palms came out, and the big man suggested I should put some skin in the game.

My Thai girlfriend, whose uncle was a potentate in BKK police circles, scalded the guy, and we walked home with our three Leos.

Next day, the shop owner showed me the warning he'd gotten from the po-po.

If they caught him selling on a national holiday again, he'd be closed forever.

These are not people you want to have over for coffee, and I'm very happy to be out of that area forever.

Australian Government has added this to their Travel Advice.

Bangkok tourists caught up in shakedown

The Sydney Morning Herald - December 12, 2014 - 3:37PM

Bangkok: Foreign tourists are calling it the shakedown.

A growing number are being stopped, searched and harassed in the main tourist precinct of the Thai capital. Sometimes they are led to a service station toilet and asked to provide a urine sample, supposedly to determine whether they have consumed any illicit drugs.

But according to letters to newspapers, blogs and even a specially set-up Facebook page, the targeting of foreigners is to extort bribes.

http://www.smh.com.a...212-125voa.html

On Friday night I was stopped by two policemen on a bike on Asoke around 2AM. I am a white male and stood in traffic until the issue was resolved. I refused to go to the police station and was in the middle of the street because I knew they were trying to extort $$$. I yelled that I lived in the building nearby and they finally let me go. I tried to take video but they would not let me and if anyone has a copy please let me know. I was quite loud and disruptive and would suggest that all foreigners do the same and make a spectacle of themselves if placed in the same situation. Thai police are lazy and the more we make them work to get $$$ the less they will bother us. Try to get video of others getting harrased and this will stop temporarily.

Edited by Daoregonian

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

On Friday night I was stopped by two policemen on a bike on Asoke around 2AM. I am a white male and stood in traffic until the issue was resolved. I refused to go to the police station and was in the middle of the street because I knew they were trying to extort $$$. I yelled that I lived in the building nearby and they finally let me go. I tried to take video but they would not let me and if anyone has a copy please let me know. I was quite loud and disruptive and would suggest that all foreigners do the same and make a spectacle of themselves if placed in the same situation. Thai police are lazy and the more we make them work to get $$$ the less they will bother us. Try to get video of others getting harrased and this will stop temporarily.

I'm down that way tonight staying in 18 and watching footy in 23.Could be an interesting walk home

Good work.

So, the police don't like lawyers or video? What have they got to hide? Just doing their job, right?

According to the Thai Visa Lawyer, it is legal to video them in public.

What are you a hotel snob or what?

And suggest you use the quote function instead of twisting words. I believe the actual quote was "there are SOME nicer hotels around Nana".

Edited by wellred

Police harassment of tourists escalating in Pattaya too.

Yesterday, roadblocks reported in several areas in Pattaya stopping farang.

At the Police station were 73 tourist in the Soi 9 station, paying fines.

Seems like dear leader Prayuth is putting the screws on foriegners he may want everyone out.

Seems like dear leader Prayuth is putting the screws on foriegners he may want everyone out.

I was at the yellow shirt rallies and they were definitely anti foreigner/anti foreign journalists.

Always amazed there were Thai Visa members supporting this gang.

Too many here reading The Nation and believing the crap they put out everyday.

I'm no fan of Prayuth, but linking him with stopping tourists on motorbikes to check they are properly licensed and sober is a stretch!

I lived on Sukhumvit 50 in 2011. We had a small neighborhood shop at the end of my soi, and I often went there to buy beer at night.

Every night, there were policemen drinking scotch at a table outside, and when I dropped in, they'd say hello.

One night, when it was Father's Day, I did my run, and the police were there with a bottle of JW on the table. They asked if I wanted to drink with them, and I begged off. Instantly, the palms came out, and the big man suggested I should put some skin in the game.

My Thai girlfriend, whose uncle was a potentate in BKK police circles, scalded the guy, and we walked home with our three Leos.

Next day, the shop owner showed me the warning he'd gotten from the po-po.

If they caught him selling on a national holiday again, he'd be closed forever.

These are not people you want to have over for coffee, and I'm very happy to be out of that area forever.

Pics or that didn't happen laugh.png

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

They were stopping only Farang's or everybody ?. Its pretty common for them to set up road blocks in Pattaya isn't it, every time I look at the Pattaya paper there is always someone nicked for something at a road block , usually Thais with Yeh Ba

Is it tourists, or is it those who live here also? I've never experienced an incident because I speak Thai.

If you live here, learn the lingo. If you don't.... not much will change in ATTACKING tourists, I'm afraid.

lingo is nothing to do with it, money is number 1

I don't believe for a second that learning Thai helps all that much. Thai mindset is that if you're a foreigner, you have money. I was under the same impression that my knowledge of Thai would help me avoid being charged extra for goods and services. It doesn't. So when a taxi driver wants me to pay 200-300 baht for what I know to be a 60 baht ride back to my place, I have a few curt words for him in both Thai and English. biggrin.png

I'm flying back in in about 5 days. I was hoping this schmat would be over by now. The Junta hates negative press and they seem to genuinely stop corruption. Not sure why the Thong Lo -- which is very close to where I'll be -- or Asok stations are being allowed to continue this.

This issue is starting to get international attention, and (according to the below), the British Ambassador has raised the matter with Thai authorities:

http://www.smh.com.au/world/bangkok-tourists-caught-up-in-shakedown-20141212-125voa.html

Rather than xenophobia, could this be that the cops are after easy overstay pickings, following all the recent crackdowns on visa runners?

It's a shame - Thailand's international reputation this far has been of tolerance and friendliness towards foreigners. I hope that these over zealous cops (or whatever is behind this unnecessary behaviour) don't spoil that fine reputation.

Are you a tourist or an expat? Why did they stop you, did they ask for your passport or other ID? You're a white male, so what? What is your point with this little snippet of information. Are you just making sure that others of the same ilk know that police are allegedly picking on a farang? Stirring the pot a little more? So you yelled at them, stood in the middle of the road and refused to go to the Police station as you knew they were trying to extort money from you. How did you know they wanted you to go to the police station? How do you know they wanted to extort money from you? So they understood what you said? They spoke and understood English, did they? It appears from you post they must have or maybe you told them off in Thai

How was the issue resolved? So you come to a country as a guest, go on like a yobbo, and then look for others to help you, as you allege police prevented you from filming them. They allegedly let you go, without penalty, so why are you trying to get others to place themselves in a situation such as you highlight here, where they might find themselves worse off, fined and/or inside the Hilton for a few nights. Not very wise advise. You want others to make a spectacle of themselves because you did? Just keep up the good work, and if your storey is even half way true, then be very vary because the next time you might not meet policemen who are so forgiving. And for you sake, I hope it is sooner than later, and maybe you will learn how to act in a civilised manner and not like a feral, which you post indicates you did.

I don't know where you are from but it is evident you are another fine quality import, one which we could quite easily do without. I, for one, do not want to be tarred with the same brush. I wouldn't say loud and disruptive, the word you are looking for is actually, "belligerent." Look it up if you do not know the meaning. An attitude such as yours we can all do without and if you are so unhappy here then there are always other avenues you can explore.

A fairy tale I think. Nothing written that is factual. They let you go without any further action after you allegedly gave them a mouthful. So you are above the law or think you are and you want others to act similarly. Honestly,Hans Christian Anderson could not have written a better fairy tale than this. You may have found your true vocation without knowing it.

Edited by Si Thea01

I'm no fan of Prayuth, but linking him with stopping tourists on motorbikes to check they are properly licensed and sober is a stretch!

More than a stretch, and only a certifiable know-nothing would assert it. Army. Police. Army. Police. Army. Police. Two SO different things. Different rice bowls entirely. Get it?

I'm flying back in in about 5 days. I was hoping this schmat would be over by now. The Junta hates negative press and they seem to genuinely stop corruption. Not sure why the Thong Lo -- which is very close to where I'll be -- or Asok stations are being allowed to continue this.

It's been going on for years in this area, so I doubt that it will end soon. Hopefully the increased publicity might hasten a re-think, but I somewhat doubt it. There is a drug problem in Bangkok and over the years I've lived here I've known a fair number of farang users and dealers. It's a shame that their drug policing is rather basic and random, but name me a developing country in Asia that isn't.

It's been going on for years in this area, so I doubt that it will end soon. Hopefully the increased publicity might hasten a re-think, but I somewhat doubt it. There is a drug problem in Bangkok and over the years I've lived here I've known a fair number of farang users and dealers. It's a shame that their drug policing is rather basic and random, but name me a developing country in Asia that isn't.

Uhhh - most other places in Thailand? What you're saying about the drug problem is true, but this isn't about drug enforcement and Thong Lor is currently a standout for police extortion activity, naysayers who for some strange reason persist in trying to downplay & pooh-pooh it notwithstanding. If you're a tourist and don't have somebody you can call, avoid Asoke - simple.

Edited by hawker9000

are you speaking about police stations here? Is there an independant Asok police station? I think Asok might belong to the Thong Lor police's jurisdiction.

I had a friend that got busted close to cowboy, and i went to visit her in Thong lor police station's jail(? not sure thats the right term, but looked like a small jail in the station). thats why i think it might be Thong Lor police's jurisdiction. but i really dont know. maybe anybody can help with this.

The article said 'Sukhumvit area, usually between Thong Lor and Asoke'

I myself live not far from BTS Phrom Phong (the station between BTS Thong Lor and BTS Asok) and have been stopped too by 3 motorbike cops that came driving, i was on my way back home by foot from a nearby shop (i posted about this earlier in this thread), must have been somewhere between Sukhumvit 47 and 41. not sure from which station these cops were. but just telling so that nobody feels too safe out there. ;)

Rather than xenophobia, could this be that the cops are after easy overstay pickings, following all the recent crackdowns on visa runners?

When i was stopped I had my passport with me, but they didnt even take a look inside.

Actually the passport never even left my hand.

But I am just a single case, not sure about other's experiences.