Smoke, Smog, Dust 2015 Chiang Mai

Tywais

New 2015 topic for fire & smoke conditions in Chiang Mai.

Members can report the conditions in their area and updates of the pollution numbers (PCD) and questions in this topic. Also published news updates regarding local conditions.

aqmthai.com Air Quality Index

Regional Daily Air Quality Data

Air Quality Standards Thailand

Smoke, Smog, Dust 2014 Chiang Mai for reference.

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

A friend wants to spend a few months in northern Thailand beginning in mid-January; and, yes, I have warned them about the air pollution levels.

This is probably a silly question but is there somewhere within Lanna (say within the same commute time as from here to Mae Sai) that would be both relatively pollution free and have high-speed internet access.

Ready your particle-filters, your ionizing air-cleaners ... set ... choke.

Thanks !

~o:37;

The problem in the cold season is we get an inversion layer at night which prevents the smoke pollution & car exhaust pollution escaping to higher levels at night. I was out & about this morning at about 7.30. Sunrise over the eastern hills was nice yellow sun (clean air). In the middle of the CM valley where I live, everything seemed fine. closer to the eastern hills, air quality was poor & visibility less than 1 km. Then as I traveled up to the edge of the valley, and got just a little bit higher (canal road running south towards Lamphun), the air was much clearer. Sadly, many fires were observed on my outing sad.png

The problem in the cold season is we get an inversion layer at night which prevents the smoke pollution & car exhaust pollution escaping to higher levels at night. I was out & about this morning at about 7.30. Sunrise over the eastern hills was nice yellow sun (clean air). In the middle of the CM valley where I live, everything seemed fine. closer to the eastern hills, air quality was poor & visibility less than 1 km. Then as I traveled up to the edge of the valley, and got just a little bit higher (canal road running south towards Lamphun), the air was much clearer. Sadly, many fires were observed on my outing sad.png

that's the problem !!! As long as they don't get serious fighting those fires, the problem will exist every year

Baan & Beyond has a good stock of 3M Filtrate for use in your aircon units. Turn left at the checkouts and walk past the tools and car sections until you see the traffic cones. Fitrate on end cap just behind them.

So does Central in Kad Suan Kaew in the hardware section.

Beautiful and clear, I can se the Doi Suket range from my place on lower hills of Doi Suthep. The rain and wind have done us proud.

I obtained a fine Air Filter 'Paper' called Mr Smart from Rimping Airport Plaza.

john

I could see Doi Chang Dao & Doi Inthanon this morning from my truck near San Kamphaeng. The cliffs of Inthanon to the north of the summit were very clear. Beautiful day biggrin.png

does anyone remember if the pollution is generally better or worse in April versus March? I'm heading back, and might just try to avoid March altogether, but my memory from a few years ago and a few years before then is slipping....tks

• 2 weeks later...

http://aqicn.org/city/thailand/chiangmai/city-hall/

Is this the most accurate report? Looks uglier a bit earlier this year. The rain helped recently but I wouldn't expect any more until April. Old city is already at 101 on PM10.

Nice sight. I also am on the accuracy as it say AQI 66 moderate for now Feb 1 at 8 am and here in San Sai it seems bad affecting everyone in my household in San Sai.

Another sight I use on my laptop and have a Iphone App for is:

http://air4thai.pcd.go.th/web/index.php

Air quality took a nose dive yesterday. Just from my personal observations out & about on my bicycle. Higher up on the hills, nice & clear air.

Could smell THAT smell too

Yes I can also smell the burning for the last 2 days - started early for some reason maybe the mushroom picking pyromaniacs

A snapshot of today of post #2 map for future reference as we may not see many more like this where all the fires north are pretty much gone.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

With those hundreds of fires burning around us, it's little wonder that Chiang Mai is covered in smoke.

Does anyone actually check the air quality?

Here's a photo from this morning, looking SE towards the Ping river.

post-111567-0-19270400-1422862975_thumb.

Picked up an app (Asia Air Quality) which supposedly shows the air quality at many places in the area - there are two locations for Chiang Mai, the City Hall and the Ypparaj Wittayalai School.

Currently shows a 70 level and "moderate" pollution.

I always thought (not really knowing) that a lot of the air problem around here was due to smoke floating over from Burma. But notice that the lowest reading in the area is Mae Hong Son....a 50....so that (for the moment) seems to dispel that notion.

Picked up an app (Asia Air Quality) which supposedly shows the air quality at many places in the area - there are two locations for Chiang Mai, the City Hall and the Ypparaj Wittayalai School.

I always thought (not really knowing) that a lot of the air problem around here was due to smoke floating over from Burma. But notice that the lowest reading in the area is Mae Hong Son....a 50....so that (for the moment) seems to dispel that notion.

I don't think any of the people who, whenever the topic comes up, tell us how most of the pollution present in Chiang Mai during this period is produced elsewhere, really know either. But since when has that stopped anyone from posting unfounded statements on ThaiVisa?

I've found that it's human nature to blame others for one's own problems and the Thais sometimes act super human biggrin.png

Using the "AIR4THAI" app that I previously mentioned it today shows the highest reading of the year with an AQI of 80 and PM10 of 87 closing in on the "Unhealthy" level which I believe starts at 100.

What I found is interesting that Doi Suthep was an AQI of 11 which was the lowest in all of Thailand (they don't show for everywhere incl. the islands) and the worst was an AQI of 11 in Saraburi.

The last satellite map I saw of the fires were almost none in Burma - they were all to the East of Thailand.

I like to use NASA's Firms for its real time view:

https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/firemap/

The picture does look pretty good at present, both Myanmar and Thailand seem fairly subdued, I wonder why.

EDIT: Cambodia looks busy, I suspect that's affecting Pattaya?

Archived