Jury Service

Hi all,

I'm back in the UK for a few months and have been selected for Jury Service.

My problem is, since long before I found Buddhism I lost my faith in Christianity. This means that I am not willing to take the Christian oath in court. As I now study Buddhism and consider myself a Buddhist I wish to make an oath that has meaning for me. I have searched the Internet and not found anything there. I have phoned the jury service office and even though they say they provide for every religion, they do not have anything for Buddhists and they suggest that I read the affirmation. To me this isn't quite good enough.

Not knowing anything about Thai law, other than they do not use the jury system, I would think that someone attending court as a witness would need to say something that means that they will tell the truth.

So, I put this question to you the honest and reliable members of TV: is there a Buddhist oath, translated into English, that could be used in a court of law?

Thank you all in advance for your sensible and otherwise answers.

Edited by Oishii

You can make an non-religous affirmation or swear by the Lord Budda (or for that matter any major religious deity), I don't think the court will allow you to change the actual wording of the oath/affirmation.

Look here http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/giving-evidence-in-court I know that's for giving evidence but the principle will be similar and this page doesn't give any examples http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/what-happens-at-a-jury-trial

Moving to Home Country forum.

• Like 1

You can make an non-religous affirmation or swear by the Lord Budda (or for that matter any major religious deity)

Buddha is not a religious deity, he was an ordinary man who happened to find a path to enlightenment. Swearing by him (or praying to him) is totally inappropriate.

• Like 1

You can make an non-religous affirmation or swear by the Lord Budda (or for that matter any major religious deity)

Buddha is not a religious deity, he was an ordinary man who happened to find a path to enlightenment. Swearing by him (or praying to him) is totally inappropriate.

AyG, are you saying that all the Buddhists in the world are wrong when the pray to The Buddha?

Hi all,
I'm back in the UK for a few months and have been selected for Jury Service.

I'm guessing that you don't live here then, as to be eligible for jury service you must have lived in the UK, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands for the last 5 years since you were 13 years old and your name would have been randomly called from the electoral register.

As a far as your question goes; if you contact the bailiff of the court he or she will tell you what you can and can't do. Whether or not the answers are to your satisfaction should be dealt with between you and him/her.

AyG, are you saying that all the Buddhists in the world are wrong when the pray to The Buddha?

You're factually incorrect.

In Japan many Buddhists pray to the Amida Buddha. However, this is not the historical Buddha, Siddartha Gautama.

The vast majority of Buddhists does not pray to the historical Buddha; they revere him, but do not pray to him.

• Like 1

can really feel for the sense of confusion running thru OP's mind; so approaching the Clerk of the Court, or equivalent would be the channel to follow IMHO.

...things like :

asking: 'can I substitute (that word) with "... so Help Me Buddha..."

asking what they demand to be placed in front in lieu, as the religious book (which one of 1000s?)

asking can the book be substituted by me instead using both hands together as normally performed ? wai.gif , although one hand suffices when you bring out the water...

"can I take my shoes off please?"

This makes me mak mak grateful I have a lifetime medical exemption from JS

Edited by tifino

Thank you for your answers, but unfortunately my jury service started yesterday and I had to take the affirmation.

The court officers have told me that if I can find or write an oath for Buddhists that they will submit it to their head office and if accepted, it may be used in future. They tell me that it's a long process though.

Glad your not Judging Me.Id prefer an all sane Jury.Hair Splitting time waster imo.coffee1.gif

YOU'RE the time waster with fatuous comments like this one imo matey!!!

I agree OJAS. The jury system is highly respected around the globe as a fair way to decide guilt or otherwise. Unlike systems that use over paid, over righteous judges who have possibly given bribes to get into the position they are in.

• Like 1

Glad your not Judging Me.Id prefer an all sane Jury.Hair Splitting time waster imo.coffee1.gif

YOU'RE the time waster with fatuous comments like this one imo matey!!!

I agree OJAS. The jury system is highly respected around the globe as a fair way to decide guilt or otherwise. Unlike systems that use over paid, over righteous judges who have possibly given bribes to get into the position they are in.

Or kangaroo courts which IMHO would probably be the best way for justice to be administered in his case at least were he ever to transgress!

• 1 month later...