Where to purchase a decent watch?

mike111

I said Apple prices were a wash (I.e., the same). Just do a comparison on the Apple USA. and Thai online stores. Therefore, it makes no sense for a Thai resident like me to have friends ferry Apple products to me or for me to wait to buy them when I'm in the States.

Years ago it was different but for many categories of stuff Thailand is price competitive.

Even if you have friends to ferry Apple products from the US, Don't! You will have to ferry it back to get it repaired or replaced under warranty, which is exactly what I had to do recently for a new iPhone 6.

And good luck to you wearing your genuine Patek Philippe along Beach Road

Most people wouldn't know the difference between a Patek and a Pulsar.

And probably many have never even heard of the brand. With digital precision these days, expensive watches have essentially become obsolete and they're only jewelry. A $20 watch will keep the time just as well.

Never seen a Seiko for sale in a 7-11 and you obviously know nothing about the brand as Seiko make some high end watches costing as much as $30,000. I have automatic Seikos that are over 30 years old and never had a service but are still keeping good time. Rubbishing Seiko is just being a snob.

Of course i know nothing rolleyes.gif .Toyota also makes Landcruisers, does not make Toyota a luxury brand

Who said anyone called Seiko a luxury brand? Seiko makes very affordable, reliable watches as well as high end luxury watches. Hey, spend as much as you like on a watch, doesn't mean it will last any longer or be any more dependable than a Seiko, and most of that watch's cost is probably because of intensive advertising.

a 200 baht watch can last a life time.

Read my posts again before getting into a silly pissing contest.

Decent in my understanding is Tag, Omega, Tissot and alike.

Seiko, Casio, Citizen is just every mans watch as i said and i would not consider it "decent", that does not mean it does not work or does not last.

Some Seiko and Citizen watches are priced on par with Tag and Omega, so given the choice to spend this kind of money, anyone with sense would go for Tag or alike instead of Seiko.

Just some reads for you about watches

http://www.forbes.com/sites/arieladams/2013/06/27/top-watches-for-social-peacocking/

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/dec/14/men-wristwatches

Perhaps you should understand the meaning of the word decent. This is what the OP asked for:

"On my next visit to Pats I consider purchasing a watch for personal use, something decent and reliable. I'm not planning to splurge, but not looking for cheap Chinese fakes either."

de·cent
ˈdēs(ə)nt/
adjective
adjective: decent
  1. 1.
    conforming with generally accepted standards of respectable or moral behavior.
    "the good name of such a decent and innocent person"
  2. 2.
    of an acceptable standard; satisfactory.
Edited by giddyup

Never seen a Seiko for sale in a 7-11 and you obviously know nothing about the brand as Seiko make some high end watches costing as much as $30,000. I have automatic Seikos that are over 30 years old and never had a service but are still keeping good time. Rubbishing Seiko is just being a snob.

Of course i know nothing rolleyes.gif .Toyota also makes Landcruisers, does not make Toyota a luxury brand

Who said anyone called Seiko a luxury brand? Seiko makes very affordable, reliable watches as well as high end luxury watches. Hey, spend as much as you like on a watch, doesn't mean it will last any longer or be any more dependable than a Seiko, and most of that watch's cost is probably because of intensive advertising.

a 200 baht watch can last a life time.

Read my posts again before getting into a silly pissing contest.

Decent in my understanding is Tag, Omega, Tissot and alike.

Seiko, Casio, Citizen is just every mans watch as i said and i would not consider it "decent", that does not mean it does not work or does not last.

Some Seiko and Citizen watches are priced on par with Tag and Omega, so given the choice to spend this kind of money, anyone with sense would go for Tag or alike instead of Seiko.

Just some reads for you about watches

http://www.forbes.com/sites/arieladams/2013/06/27/top-watches-for-social-peacocking/

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/dec/14/men-wristwatches

Your understanding of Seiko is somewhat limited as are the two trivial links you have provided. Those who are a little bit more up to date will know about the Grand Seiko series, not that I would be wearing one of these around LOS. For that a CASIO or cheaper Seoko will do. Oh, BTW: http://www.seikowatches.com/press_release/2014/RLS1411-01/index.html

Perhaps you should understand the meaning of the word decent. This is what the OP asked for:

"On my next visit to Pats I consider purchasing a watch for personal use, something decent and reliable. I'm not planning to splurge, but not looking for cheap Chinese fakes either."

de·cent
ˈdēs(ə)nt/
adjective
  1. 1.
  2. 2.

Perhaps you should have some style, but clearly its too late at such a late stage of your lifethumbsup.gif

Your understanding of Seiko is somewhat limited as are the two trivial links you have provided. Those who are a little bit more up to date will know about the Grand Seiko series, not that I would be wearing one of these around LOS. For that a CASIO or cheaper Seoko will do. Oh, BTW: http://www.seikowatches.com/press_release/2014/RLS1411-01/index.html

Again, anyone with half a brain would buy Tag or like instead of a Seiko if its priced the same.

Gee, mass production brand or exclusive designs. Hard choice there to makecoffee1.gif

PS. its not my understanding but my perceptionthumbsup.gif

de·cent
ˈdēs(ə)nt/
adjective
  1. 1.
  2. 2.

Perhaps you should have some style, but clearly its too late at such a late stage of your lifethumbsup.gif

Oh, now it's style not decent? You change with the weather when the questions get too hard. Obviously there's no age limit on stupid, as you still persevere with your losing battle.

Edited by giddyup

I uses Casio Protrek now and my watch before that was a Protrek as well.

They last app 5 years and the screen starts to go.

Last one was bought in Hong Kong via Ebay and was app 30% cheaper than in Thailand for the 20 atm version which is sort of funny, since it's made in Thailand.

The first Protrek had a new battery fitted, also by this Joe guy in Soi Buakho. He first fitted a wrong battery (it has a solar cell for charging) and he changed the wrong battery to the right one for free.

I forgot to add, the strap on the first one cracked.

I went to Central to get a new strap and was told, 2 month!! I said WHAT!! yes 2 month, it has to go to Bangkok and they have to order a new strap.

I said no thanks and checked some other shops but they all told me, very special strap mister, no have, so I ended up ordering one on Ebay and it arrived app 10 days later and I changed it myself.

Again, anyone with half a brain would buy Tag or like instead of a Seiko if its priced the same.

Gee, mass production brand or exclusive designs. Hard choice there to makecoffee1.gif

Tags are made by robots the same as Seikos, shouldn't have to tell you that. There is nothing exclusive about a Tag, the last one (quartz) I saw in a shop window couldn't even get the second hand to hit the indices. So much for quality. You're a typical watch snob who tries to justify paying through the nose for a watch because of a brand name. A brand name where the prices are probably 75% advertising costs.

Edited by giddyup

Tags are made by robots the same as Seikos, shouldn't have to tell you that. There is nothing exclusive about a Tag, the last one (quartz) I saw in a shop window couldn't even get the second hand to hit the indices. So much for quality. You're a typical watch snob who tries to justify paying through the nose for a watch because of a brand name. A brand name where the prices are probably 75% advertising costs.

The last one you saw in the shop? was it through the glass? and you instantly became an expert on watches?giggle.gif

You actually wanted me to feel bad about having the means to purchase nice items?gigglem.gif

coffee1.gif

de·cent
ˈdēs(ə)nt/
adjective
  1. 1.
  2. 2.

Oh, now it's style not decent? You change with the weather when the questions get too hard. Obviously there's no age limit on stupid, as you still persevere with your losing battle.

Yes mate, style, taste, class.

You are correct, age does not fix stuipid

Yes mate, style, taste, class.

You are correct, age does not fix stuipid

You might want to use spell check as well as Wikipedia.

Is that the best you could come up with? Would have been better off not to respond at allfacepalm.gif

The last one you saw in the shop? was it through the glass? and you instantly became an expert on watches?giggle.gif

You actually wanted me to feel bad about having the means to purchase nice items?gigglem.gif

coffee1.gif

Having money doesn't buy you class, or make you smart, which is more than obvious in your case. Anyway, enough said, have a good night.

I thought konying & giddyup were going to end up getting a room together....

Compare sizes, lube up and make small talk...

A 'quality' pair of children....

More idiotic than the idiot is the idiot who argues with him!

Yeah, like there's never been animosity on the forum before or will be again. Can't all be group hugs and singing kumbaya.

Lazada has a few, but all depends on what you consider decent .

In the lower range tissot is not a bad choice but more expansive than say Oz.

Seiko and Casio, personally I do not consider being decent but both do make reliable watches at fairly cheap prices .

In what way would one consider Seiko and Casio not being decent?

Decent watches are not available from 7-11 stores. Both brands are just mass production for the masses, like Toyota, every men's gadget.

Agree, nothing wrong with a Seiko. I have an Arctura Kinetic, it keeps perfect time, much better than my work collegues much more expensive Rolex.

I thought konying & giddyup were going to end up getting a room together....

Compare sizes, lube up and make small talk...

A 'quality' pair of children....

More idiotic than the idiot is the idiot who argues with him!

Yeah, like there's never been animosity on the forum before or will be again. Can't all be group hugs and singing kumbaya.

I'm not willing to argue or discuss the validity of an argument concerning the subjective terms... 'decent' and 'quality'... that itself would be idiotic...

Back on Topic:

OP: It would perhaps prevent those who's ego's outweigh their intelligence from filling this thread with argumentative bumf if you were to tell us what sort of Watch you are looking for...? ... i.e. Casio G-Shock, Tissot, Seiko, Tag, Oris, Frank Muller, Rolex etc etc..

• 3 weeks later...

I looked at a Victorinox model. The price at Central was approx. a 30% markup over amazon.

Watches aren't cheap in Thailand. Some of the Casio models like the Edifice range are reasonably priced, but just about everything else is better priced on Amazon or Ebay, as long as you aren't hit with import duty.