Storm pounds northern California

webfact

Storm pounds northern California

(BBC) More than 220,000 people are without power after heavy rains and high winds slammed northern California.

The storm brought rainfall of more than an inch an hour in San Francisco and winds gusts of 140mph (225km/h) in the Sierra Nevada mountains.

Flooding has already closed two major motorways in the area, delayed public transport, cancelled 240 flights and shut ferry services.

The rain is much needed in the drought-hit state but mudslides are a concern.

Power cuts were widespread, from the suburban area south of San Francisco to Humboldt, near the Oregon border.

"It's a two-pronged punch - it's wind and rain," National Weather Service forecaster Diana Henderson said. "Once the ground gets saturated and the winds are howling, there's a bigger chance of trees going down on power lines."

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-30442290

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-12-12

That really doesn't look like an unusual amount of snow for Donner Pass.

Before the winter is over there will be snow banks on each side of the road taller than a person, cut by snowplows. I've seen the banks 12 feet/4 meters high.

Edited by NeverSure

Before the winter is over there will be snow banks on each side of the road taller than a person, cut by snowplows. I've seen the banks 12 feet/4 meters high.

This reader appreciates the time the poster took to share a real-time photo of the conditions at the pass.

Actually, I'd like to see 12 to 20 feet banks.

San Francisco is Central California.

Yreka is Northern California.

Never made sense to me either but it is generally defined as starting from Monterey county and Stanislaus county in the Valley southwards. Nobody in Watsonville thinks they live in Central California. I made some calls over there this morning, Pictures from this storm quite incredible.

Edited by arunsakda