I Bought a Chinese quad (ATV)

canuckamuck

I think the ball hitch is probably 50mm as that is the most common size.

You could try Respo Trailers in Hua Hin or possibly Upbeat Trailers who are somewhere in or near Bangkok for the ball receiver (although the URL I have for the latter is now dead).

The only ball receivers I have seen in Thailand are the pressed steel type, invariably imported, and cost way more than back in wherever.

I've been looking at buying a quad in Thailand but all I've seen so far is what you purchased basically. The only proper quad you can buy is a Polaris and they want insane money for them here. After riding a proper quad for years in Canada, I can't see myself on one of these, they will fall apart after taking 10% of the abuse the proper quad could take.

Congrats on the new toy nevertheless, I'm sure it will be fine for what you wanted it for, just need to keep an eye on it so you don't loose more bolts/nuts. wink.png

Here's my baby, still owe it back in Alberta and still ride it when I go back long enough to find the time to use it.

attachicon.gif20140619_175041.jpg

It's a 2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 with all the mods that you can think of (all that is available), lift kit, snorkels, modified CVT for more low end low speed torque and to account for huge aftermarket tires, programmer with 2 fuel maps, pipe, filter, relocated radiator, and for the last - 750 cc big bore kit and a high compression piston. smile.png I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of smaller things.

Wish I could bring it here to Thailand.

I heard you could bring quads over as farm equipment and pay no duty. I can't prove it though. The reason I didn't do it, was because if I needed a part where would I get one.

Anyhow nice quad, I hope you get back to Alberta and give it a good run now and then. I am an Albertan as well. cowboy.gif

Edited by canuckamuck
  • Like 1

I think the ball hitch is probably 50mm as that is the most common size.

You could try Respo Trailers in Hua Hin or possibly Upbeat Trailers who are somewhere in or near Bangkok for the ball receiver (although the URL I have for the latter is now dead).

The only ball receivers I have seen in Thailand are the pressed steel type, invariably imported, and cost way more than back in wherever.

It clearly says 60mm on it. But thanks for the tip, I will try to contact Respo

I heard you could bring quads over as farm equipment and pay no duty. I can't prove it though. The reason I didn't do it, was because if I needed a part where would I get one.

Anyhow nice quad, I hope you get back to Alberta and give it a good run now and then. I am an Albertan as well. cowboy.gif

That what I heard too, but I haven't actually read any first hand experiences. Didn't want to loose it to the greedy Thai customs after all the money and all the work I put into it.

• Like 1

when you see an electric or fuelcell one let me know

http://www.electric-quad-bikes.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4

thanks noahvail i guess it just a matter of searching

http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=&SearchText=1500w+electric+quad+bike

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/3000w-adult-electric-quad-bike_60095348789.html

but whether they are in thailand is another question

Edited by heionus heretic

I am pretty sure quads are not street legal here in Thailand, although you do see many on the road up here in Isaan anyway thanks for the informative write up, sounds like the faults are all from Thailand during assembly. Keep us updated.

was wondering about street legal anyone know for sure?

wont be getting one if they arent.

few golf buggies used as transport where i am but havent seen any quads. some of the vehicles look like out of a madmax movie, real assortments, panels, windows optional . do it yourself vehicle construction jobs frequent

Nice one. Good luck with it. Seems to be just what you need.

May I suggest replacing all nuts with nylocks, Loctite all bolts without nuts, even trim screws will benefit from a small dab of the blue and let set overnight.

• Like 1

I was in Udon Thani last week and saw a quad with a plate on it driving down their version of Soi Cowboy.

Maybe the plate was stolen, but it would take some big cajones to ride around one of the busiest parts of town with an illegal ATV.

" The reason I didn't do it, was because if I needed a part where would I get one." Well your not out of the woods yet with a Chinese Quad!

I have a Chinese dirt bike as well, have had it for 4 years now and I have some confidence in the shop that I have brought it to lately. This is the same shop that sold me the quad, and the Panther brand has been around for a few years now, So I am hoping that there will be some avenues of support locally.

But yes, It's a gamble.

• Like 1

Hi, OP.

Cool quad, but am curious about the loose bolts.

Most established brands have a small paint line across the head of the bolts and whatever it is bolting into.

It's sort of the way they quickly check off the bolts that were torqued tight during assembly.

Any bolt with misaligned lines shows the bolt is loose or was re-tightened.

Does your quad have any of these marks on the engine, suspension, brakes, etc?

If yes, then maybe the dealer was at fault doing a bad job assembling your ATV.

If not, it would behoove you to tighten all the bolts since the manufacturer just doesn't care.

I don't want to see another thread in the future about a suspension arm or brake caliper falling off and causing an accident.

All the major components have the paint marks, and they are tight. It is the body parts that had some loose nuts and bolts. The suspension appears to be done proper.

The poster that suggested Loctite was on the money, I will pick some up.

I am pretty sure quads are not street legal here in Thailand, although you do see many on the road up here in Isaan anyway thanks for the informative write up, sounds like the faults are all from Thailand during assembly. Keep us updated.

few golf buggies used as transport where i am but havent seen any quads. some of the vehicles look like out of a madmax movie, real assortments, panels, windows optional . do it yourself vehicle construction jobs frequent

This quad has all the signals and lights, even 3 levels of bright for the headlights, as well as a plate holder, but I took that off.

And there is a notice on it that says it is street legal. However, you will have to find out from the registration folks if it can be registered. I am an hour out of the city so I don't think I will be needing the reg.

This quad has all the signals and lights, even 3 levels of bright for the headlights, as well as a plate holder, but I took that off.

And there is a notice on it that says it is street legal. However, you will have to find out from the registration folks if it can be registered. I am an hour out of the city so I don't think I will be needing the reg.

If you live in the sticks no problem, do what everyone else does. When I said I was pretty sure, that came from the dealer and 2 other people, so I could be wrong. However, when you buy the quad is when you should get the rego, no?

I bought a Chinese quad two years ago. Complete garbage, down more than it is up. Battery never recharges, all the lights and electrical system real junk. I'm looking for a shop that can strip it down to an engine and frame and do away with almost all that goes wrong. The fuel system blows, carburetor bowl started leaking the other day so off to a shop again!

I hope you better luck with yours.