I Bought a Chinese quad (ATV)

canuckamuck

I bought a Chinese Konik Quad bike. 150 CC 2WD for 65,000. I bought the Konik because the dealer carries virtually every spare part you are likely to need at good prices. I made the mistake before of buying a cheap Chinese off road bike and soon discovered that I could not get spare parts. The main dealer speaks English and is very helpful, so that is a big plus.

I have not had any problems yet and I am just coming up to 500 Km. I'm told that some wheel bearing might go after a year or two, but they are cheap to replace. I think when you buy Chinese you need to be able to get spare parts. Buying a reliable Japanese or American model are silly prices because of the import. I do not think anybody will worry too much if you use it a little on local upcountry roads. I use ti a lot to tow a kayak. I have been through water up t the floor boards without any problem. I was told to pump grease into the rear bearing after going through water.

post-69783-0-55438400-1418440483_thumb.j

Edited by Toany

I bought a Chinese Konik Quad bike. 150 CC 2WD for 65,000. I bought the Konik because the dealer carries virtually every spare part you are likely to need at good prices. I made the mistake before of buying a cheap Chinese off road bike and soon discovered that I could not get spare parts. The main dealer speaks English and is very helpful, so that is a big plus.

I have not had any problems yet and I am just coming up to 500 Km. I'm told that some wheel bearing might go after a year or two, but they are cheap to replace. I think when you buy Chinese you need to be able to get spare parts. Buying a reliable Japanese or American model are silly prices because of the import. I do not think anybody will worry too much if you use it a little on local upcountry roads. I use ti a lot to tow a kayak. I have been through water up t the floor boards without any problem. I was told to pump grease into the rear bearing after going through water.

attachicon.gifquadK.jpg

Your quad appears to share a lot of components to mine. Particularly the plastic body parts, rims and mirrors (can't really tell about the rest). I think these all get made at the same place and assembled with different company names.

Thanks for joining the thread. At least now I can expect 500kms from your evidence.

then it aint a quad.

we used to use em in the bush for silvaculture. tue workhorses, but if they threw you, it could get ugly.

It is a quad because it has 4 wheels, nothing to do with how many wheels do the driving. The majority of quads are 2WD, but 4WD is useful on hills and slightly safer, on the flat unless the OP plans on playing silly buggas and doing wheelies, it don't make any difference.

Sounds as though he is just pottering around on it (1/2km is a long way to walk regularly in the heat), in which case the inherent danger should not be an issue and for those who don't know what that is...if a quad rolls it ends up on to of you, a bike rarely does.

I am pretty sure quads are not street legal here in Thailand, although you do see many on the road up here in Isaan anyway thanks for the informative write up, sounds like the faults are all from Thailand during assembly. Keep us updated.

You're correct! I used to have a Suzuki LT500 "Quadzilla" which was a 500cc, 2 stroke rocket and was only 2 wheel drive but was still a quad. Great fun if you had the balls and skill to handle its 100mph+ top speed, rocket accelleration and power slide steering. I've only ever ridden the racing quads since when I get the chance, the 4x4's would just be too boring! saai.gif.pagespeed.ce.f25DL0fHCdW09GY8hG

You're correct! I used to have a Suzuki LT500 "Quadzilla" which was a 500cc, 2 stroke rocket and was only 2 wheel drive but was still a quad. Great fun if you had the balls and skill to handle its 100mph+ top speed, rocket accelleration and power slide steering. I've only ever ridden the racing quads since when I get the chance, the 4x4's would just be too boring! saai.gif.pagespeed.ce.f25DL0fHCdW09GY8hG

Oh man!!! You're so wrong! :D If you're ever in Edmonton, Alberta at the time when I'm there, I'll take you for some terrific 4x4 riding! It's not boring but it's not everyone's cup of tea, not everyone can feel like a kid when you get yourself covered in mud and muskeg, getting stuck and trying to break free... great fun!

4x4 machines aren't full time 4x4, you only switch it ON when you need it and with good tires you can make it through most obstacles on a 2WD.

• Thumbs Up 1

Canuckamuck yes our quadbikes look identical. So you should be able to get spare parts from my dealer. Details can be found at konikatv.com

My quad did not come with a ball hitch, can you please show a fairly closeup picture so that I can see how it is attached?

Oh man!!! You're so wrong! biggrin.png If you're ever in Edmonton, Alberta at the time when I'm there, I'll take you for some terrific 4x4 riding! It's not boring but it's not everyone's cup of tea, not everyone can feel like a kid when you get yourself covered in mud and muskeg, getting stuck and trying to break free... great fun!

4x4 machines aren't full time 4x4, you only switch it ON when you need it and with good tires you can make it through most obstacles on a 2WD.

Actually you are both right, rear wheel drive quads are more fun on the dirt, drifting them around bends (slight fart!) which IMO is less fun on a 4WD, but the 4WD's can go a lot more places.

Actually, prior to coming to Thailand I spent more time on or around quads than bikes, I was off-roading around Lake Ladoga (Russia) a few years back (DNF) and the 4WD quads were unstoppable compared to even the best cars, the downside was that the riders got eaten alive by huge mosquitoes.

Oh yes, quads are great fun 2 or 4WD, but be REAL careful once you start taking liberties, be aware of where you may be after a spill....DOWN-UNDER.

Look what happened to Rik Mayall.

The wife and I looked at a Polaris but we couldn't justify the expense...and it's towing capacity isn't great. Our little Kubota can tow a tonne or more on the trailer and has a PTO to power the airbus. So when the young trees in the new orchard mature to the point of giving fruit it will probably be another tractor and trailer if we need extra capacity.

But it would be nice to have a quad just to play with! whistling.gif

I had exactly same problem with justifying buying a 4x4 quadbike. The 4x4 was the price of a small car. The cheap Chinese 2x4 quad allowed me to have fun at a fun price

post-69783-0-91234700-1418596199_thumb.j.

The small kayak on the back of the tractor was bad enough, I would have got a hernia trying to put the 3 seater up there.

Edited by Toany
  • Like 1

Most of the Chinese gear is a copy of Japanese or American gear.

The Chinese are very good at copying what it looks like, where they are not so good is the actual material. If it's a Steel Alloy, they use Mild Steel, if it's an Aluminium Alloy, they use Aluminium. All is good until it wears out. Nuts falling off is not actually the dealer, they come in steel cages and the dealer simply bolts on the wheels, adds the battery etc. If your delaer is not very experienced, he won't know to tighten all the other bolts and add loctite. After the initial problem of things falling off (the chain tensioner is probably first), the next problems are usually, chains (timing & drive chains) the solution is to replace with Japanese, wear in the engine (smoke from the exhaust) the solution is to rebore the engine and fit new pistons, starter solenoid will also go, they are only 200 baht here, then the bearings on the axle will go, solution is to fit Japanese NYK bearings, the frame will need welding/stregthening because it's mild steel and the right alloy, finally the gearbox casing will crack and the gears will lose teeth.

Battery not charging is a common fault, just buy an automatic battery charger and charge it regularly, use you quad/carburettor Chinese bike regularly or starting becomes difficult.

If it's between 150cc and 210cc, it probably has a copy Honda GY6 engine, parts are readily available here.

We have 25 of them we use ourselves and we have sold dozens of 150cc dune buggies (2 seater, automatic, roll cages, seat belts) at 130,000 baht each, so we do know what happens. Your most important task is to find a trusted inexpensive mechanic, because you going to need him. Finally, keep it in the shade to avoid discolouration.

• Like 2

I see someone has already posted it, get some thread locking agent.

I knew as i read the title what it was going to be about.

You have to go over the whole thing as best you can with a thread locker before you even ride it.

Then watch for cracks in the frame/chassis and suspension components,

Just one of many issues, I've seen or heard about, the rear shock had broken where the shaft met the eye,

in the wrong circumstances that would be very very dangerous.

They are not made for heavy duty use,

I dont mean to alarm anyone but you really need to be on guard with those things, particularly as you end up with the wife and kids all piled on.

(just read the above post, damm that a long list of problems, i'd buy one of your s/h units after you'd done all that work though, lol.)

Edited by kaorop

Most of the Chinese gear is a copy of Japanese or American gear.

The Chinese are very good at copying what it looks like, where they are not so good is the actual material. If it's a Steel Alloy, they use Mild Steel, if it's an Aluminium Alloy, they use Aluminium. All is good until it wears out. Nuts falling off is not actually the dealer, they come in steel cages and the dealer simply bolts on the wheels, adds the battery etc. If your delaer is not very experienced, he won't know to tighten all the other bolts and add loctite. After the initial problem of things falling off (the chain tensioner is probably first), the next problems are usually, chains (timing & drive chains) the solution is to replace with Japanese, wear in the engine (smoke from the exhaust) the solution is to rebore the engine and fit new pistons, starter solenoid will also go, they are only 200 baht here, then the bearings on the axle will go, solution is to fit Japanese NYK bearings, the frame will need welding/stregthening because it's mild steel and the right alloy, finally the gearbox casing will crack and the gears will lose teeth.

Battery not charging is a common fault, just buy an automatic battery charger and charge it regularly, use you quad/carburettor Chinese bike regularly or starting becomes difficult.

If it's between 150cc and 210cc, it probably has a copy Honda GY6 engine, parts are readily available here.

We have 25 of them we use ourselves and we have sold dozens of 150cc dune buggies (2 seater, automatic, roll cages, seat belts) at 130,000 baht each, so we do know what happens. Your most important task is to find a trusted inexpensive mechanic, because you going to need him. Finally, keep it in the shade to avoid discolouration.

Have to agree about chinese paint fading! No sure why they cant use uv or whatever but its a big issue..

Glad to see some participation in this thread from experienced folks.

But where were you guys when I started two previous threads looking for some advice before I bought one?

Anyhow, I really do appreciate the info.

I expect that there will be repairs in the future. But my Lifan dirt bike, which I have abused for 4 years has cost only a few thousand baht to fix so far, and that has given me confidence to get another Chinese unit. And now I know what to look for.

• Like 1

Glad to see some participation in this thread from experienced folks.

But where were you guys when I started two previous threads looking for some advice before I bought one?

I expect that there will be repairs in the future. But my Lifan dirt bike, which I have abused for 4 years has cost only a few thousand baht to fix so far, and that has given me confidence to get another Chinese unit. And now I know what to look for.

Yes, that is a bit of a bugga, but I think if you tighten all the bolts, use locktite in certain cases, that will avoid quite a few potential problems and change wheel bearings as soon as they play a little, you will be fine. It may not take the battering of a Jap/Yank quad, but you didn't thrash the life out of the Lifan (sorry) and that has been okay.

I think some people are harder on machines than others, it takes a bit of mechanical sympathy with this sort of thing.

She'll be right mate.

• Like 2

Many thanks for the informed replies. They are great advice and give us newbie owners a heads up of what to look for. I completely agree about the Chinese being good at copying what things look like without any understanding of the fundamentals.

I took the cheap option knowing this and made sure I could get the spare parts. I have seen 8 year old Jap 4x4s going for 200,000. I know I am not a power user but it has helped me a lot already. I will keep my fingers crossed and my eyes open for problems.

Aliep, I am sure you run a business renting the quads. The fact that you still buy and use them is a testimony that they a value for money. After you very informative post we are now better informed. Thanks again for your very helpful reply

I'm 99% sure your engine is a GY6 clone. 99% of Chinese engines are. Available from 50cc to 300cc. Parts are all over eBay. The GY6 Chinese engine has stroker and clutch kits.

IA new engine is 6000 baht complete if you blow it up.

Google GY6 engine and see for yourself.

Great motors with loads of options for parts.

• Like 1

I see someone has already posted it, get some thread locking agent.

I knew as i read the title what it was going to be about.

You have to go over the whole thing as best you can with a thread locker before you even ride it.

Then watch for cracks in the frame/chassis and suspension components,

Just one of many issues, I've seen or heard about, the rear shock had broken where the shaft met the eye,

in the wrong circumstances that would be very very dangerous.

They are not made for heavy duty use,

I dont mean to alarm anyone but you really need to be on guard with those things, particularly as you end up with the wife and kids all piled on.

(just read the above post, damm that a long list of problems, i'd buy one of your s/h units after you'd done all that work though, lol.)

Good to know. Thanks.

Falling nuts and bolts are still ok and managable although one expects a new machine well done of course.

But cracked frame and suspension components? That is very dangerous.

I stopped by a farm in CM today that had several Chinese-made ATVs for rent and for working around the place, and I thought of this thread. I made a point of asking the owner about reliability- I expected him to say it was good (no matter what the truth was), but he said he had constant problems with them and they were always breaking down, especially when bigger guys rode them (he said 'Like you'- I weigh about 85kg).

Not trying to put a damper on your thread and I hope your experience is different, but I'm just passing along what he said.

I took a pic:

post-176811-0-88671100-1418621384_thumb.

• Like 1

I stopped by a farm in CM today that had several Chinese-made ATVs for rent and for working around the place, and I thought of this thread. I made a point of asking the owner about reliability- I expected him to say it was good (no matter what the truth was), but he said he had constant problems with them and they were always breaking down, especially when bigger guys rode them (he said 'Like you'- I weigh about 85kg).

Not trying to put a damper on your thread and I hope your experience is different, but I'm just passing along what he said.

I took a pic:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hire bikes/quads (and cars, see Top Gear in NZ) are the fastest on the planet.

Lifan make the BMW 650cc motorbike engine for BMW.

• 5 years later...
On 12/13/2014 at 10:07 AM, Toany said:

post-69783-0-55438400-1418440483_thumb.j

Hi, still happy with your atv ? Just bought one this february, and still happy with it. Cheap priced and ok quality, but as you say, they got spareparts available.  

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 5/22/2020 at 6:45 AM, Tagged said:

Hi, still happy with your atv ? Just bought one this february, and still happy with it. Cheap priced and ok quality, but as you say, they got spareparts available.  

Which did you get? 

• Haha 2

On 12/23/2014 at 10:59 AM, aliep said:

Lifan make the BMW 650cc motorbike engine for BMW.

Actually the motor is made in the Kymco factory. 

And it's a good motor too... I've got one back in NZ. Wish I had it here, although I wouldn't need the seat and bar warmers!