Canadian triple entry Tourist Visas: Updated

If the visa was issued on the 1st of this month 6 months would be the 1st of June 2015. Using 180 days it would be the 29th of May. A difference of 2 days.

I would say that 99% of tourist visas issued will be 3 months or 6 months. Days are not used for visa validit

The difference between 6 months and 180 days is Maintaining Canadian residency. If you are out of Canada for more than 181 days in 1 year, you are no longer a resident of Canada. Most likely you will not have Medical coverage when you return to Canada, could be taxed at a different rate, and loose out on some pensions. The two days could cost you a bundle. When you do make a boarder run, they stamp it for 60 days, not 2 months.

I challenge this as I was out of the country for more than 9 months twice. You just have to watch the provincial medical coverage, as Ontario is 5 months and I believe Alberta is 6. If outside longer then you must re-apply, which is 3 months in Ont.

Thread hijacking attempt. I'm Canadian, I'm looking to sell some CDN $ that i have back in Canada to someone who wants to trade for Thai baht. Anywhere from 100-150,000 baht. So if you know any Thais that are planning on visiting Canada that need dollars, or anyone in a scenario that wants dollars for baht, please contact me. Thx

offtopic.gif Laundering of cash money is illegal
This certainly isn't anything akin to laundering money.

I think I've been very bad, according to one of the posters here, I've been participating in money laundering, I took some Canadian money to a "guy" hiding in a thick glass booth with only a hole big enough to hear each other through and pass " the goods" back and forth. I said quietly, Hi, how much Baht can I get for $1000 Cad, he told me. I thought about it and realised he was also going to charge a "fee" ontop of the "deal" as i already have some Baht on hand , enough to land me in Los. I thought I wasn't getting offered such a great deal.. Maybe I dodged a legal bullet by a hair by backing out of the "deal"

I can't believe I almost laundered money ...... I'm such a bad person

• Like 1

Thread hijacking attempt. I'm Canadian, I'm looking to sell some CDN $ that i have back in Canada to someone who wants to trade for Thai baht. Anywhere from 100-150,000 baht. So if you know any Thais that are planning on visiting Canada that need dollars, or anyone in a scenario that wants dollars for baht, please contact me. Thx

offtopic.gif Laundering of cash money is illegal
This certainly isn't anything akin to laundering money.

So you think... Could try that song on the cash money police??? Might fly might not. Depends on how many 100's to 150,000's you are trying to move.giggle.gif

• 3 weeks later...

If the visa was issued on the 1st of this month 6 months would be the 1st of June 2015. Using 180 days it would be the 29th of May. A difference of 2 days.

I would say that 99% of tourist visas issued will be 3 months or 6 months. Days are not used for visa validit

The difference between 6 months and 180 days is Maintaining Canadian residency. If you are out of Canada for more than 181 days in 1 year, you are no longer a resident of Canada. Most likely you will not have Medical coverage when you return to Canada, could be taxed at a different rate, and loose out on some pensions. The two days could cost you a bundle. When you do make a boarder run, they stamp it for 60 days, not 2 months.

Actually its a 183 day rule set by Canada Revenue Agency. It's primary use is to determine 'only' how and where your tax liabilities lay, it can affect the Guaranteed Income Supplement if you receive that, that's a Service Canada issue. As far as other Gov pensions, Canada Pension and Old Age Security are untouched regardless of your 'residency' status, they will pay you anywhere in the world as long as you qualify for all 40 pieces of the pie. (paid into the system for 40+ years etc). Health care depends on the Province but, for me, BC rules say I can be out of province for up 7 months a year and maintain normal coverage. Ont is the same. Also, in BC, you can apply for a one time 2 year uninterrupted of out of country coverage as long as you pay the $72 a month health care premium, and that applies to everyone. All that info in online, but I had a long phone discussion with a rep at the BC Ministry of Health to clarify things. $72 a month is a pretty good price for a guy over 66.

As far as validity: My visa was issued on December 10th (I sent it in early to avoid the X-mas rush and since I'm only staying for 7 months it's all good) and it expires on June 9th. My count says 181 days from time of issue including the 10th of Dec.

Great info. I also live in Victoria and have been wondering about the visa options , What exactly did you apply for ? was it dependant on your age? I'm under 50 yrs old but would like to go to LOS for 6 months. Thanks for any info.

thumbsup.gif

I applied for a Triple Entry Tourist Visa. Age or other conditions have nothing to to with it as along as you are a tourist, not intending on working ect. I sent in a cover letter saying glowing things like: "I want to travel around beautiful Thailand for 6 to 8 months..." etc. Just keep it simple and honest.

really neat to see a fellow Victorian. My Thai wife and I live in Buriram from November - March then back to Victoria (Colwood). I had a similar awesome experience withe the Vancouver Thai consulate for $180 got my Non Immigrant O multiple entry visa based on marriage. Last year I was still doing back-to-back border runs.

Maybe we can grab a pint at Bartholomew's sometime next summer :) I'll be back there in August.