Man faces deportation as UK wife's salary too low

Lite Beer

Rather misleading title.

I assumed he was facing deportation from Thailand.

This is a site about Thai visas...no?

Maybe title should have been" Man faces deportation from UK as wife's salary is to low"?

Then all of those who give a rat's arse about the UK could find it.

Good job, well done the UK Gov. for once thumbsup.gif

Well done? And yet 200,000+ Europeans with absolutely no connection with the UK are allowed to come into the country and get benefits right off the bat; sending welfare home to kids in their home countries no less! While I understand the above is out of the UK's control -- being one of the tenets of being in the EU -- it smacks of major irony that a BRITISH SUBJECT is not allowed to keep their spouse there. This 18,600 (or 22k with kid) is simply an arbitrary figure dreamt up by that 'delightful' lady Theresa May to make it tough for British people to get their other half in. The spouse visa already stipulates 'no recourse to public funds' for crying out loud. These people are not bludgers; the wife is earning, just not enough to satisfy this figure. If I headed back and also couldn't find the right pay, it also means splitting up my family. It's a disgrace for Brits (and also that SA is a Commonwealth country) and extremely frustrating to see all the Euros piling in and bypassing the entire process.

The only way for this family to circumvent is to go and live in another EU country for a while -- with her getting a job (whatever the money) and setting up home there. They then come back into the UK and, legally, UK border control can do nothing to stop them. He will then be granted an EU right to stay as her husband (bypassing all steps and fees up to permanent leave to remain) and will get full rights as a Brit and EU citizen. This is known as the Surinder Singh method that many have resorted to using. Although the UK gov is tightening up on it, stipulating that you have to have your 'centre of life' in this other EU country before returning, they really can do nothing about it as the UK signed up to the EU and all its foibles. This above scenario is so for every other EU country.

It pains me to see the tens of thousands getting in from eastern European countries (including criminals) and something needs to be done to stop the rot and immediate recourse to public funds, but spare a thought for actual born and bred BRITISH people not being allowed to keep their spouse.

It is actually worse than you think. I am a UK citizen but have worked and lived in another EU for 20 odd years. I had my own business which unfortunately didnt go to well and i was forced to give it up. I decided at that point to return to the UK. I had no job, nowhere to live and no funds. I turned to Social Services for help until i sorted myself out and was told that I was entitled to nothing until I had first worked in the UK 6 months. The fact that I was a UK citizen and had served 12 years in the UK Forces counted for nothing. I have now decided that the UK is no place for a Brit to live.

• Like 1

<snip>

113.70 quid a week would be a real struggle.

It is, believe me; but it's doable.

However, I think you may be missing my point; which is why does the government demand a couple where one is an immigrant have an income way above that which they expect a British couple to be able to live on?

The average rent in the UK is now, according to the Guardian, £761 per month; £9132 p.a. Add that to the annual income support level for a couple, £5912.4, and that comes to £15,044.4. So why does the government insist on the couple having over £3.5 grand extra?

Personally, as well as thinking that the income requirement for family settlement is too high, I also think that the Income Support levels are too low.

Remember, too, that both under the old rules, in force prior to 19/7/12, and the new until they have ILR the immigrant partner is banned from claiming public funds and although the British partner can claim, they cannot claim any extra due to their immigrant partner living with them.

Neither are they entitled to social housing until the immigrant spouse has ILR; unless the British partner was already living in same before the arrival of the immigrant partner. Even then, they cannot move to a bigger property; unless they move into the private sector.

The old rule was that a couple must show that they can adequately support themselves without any recourse to public funds. Although no actual figure had been set, a court case had previously ruled that it would be inappropriate for a family where one or more member was an immigrant to have a disposable income, after housing costs, of less than the income support level for a British family of the same size.

What was wrong with that?

The issue is the selective application of the rights of a person married to a British citizen.

A European spouse is protected under British law whereas as foreign spouse is not where the issue should be that they are a spouse irrespective of where they come from.

My missus has been separated from her British kids while we have made a now successful application. I have taken not one cent from the country but had to secure employment above the level. I exceed this by severl times.

However if I were unemployed but married to a feckless european, the law would protect my spouse. This is basically immoral and as a law exceedingly unfair and descriminiatory to British subjects.

Family members of British citizens come under the UK immigration rules.

EEA nationals and their qualifying family members come under the EEA regulations.

In, for example, Poland the families of Polish citizens come under the Polish immigration rules, whilst the qualifying family members of British citizens come under the EEA regulations.

Unless SuEuropean nationals and schemes (entry clearance guidance). You will find that many of your assumptions about EEA immigration to the UK are false.

Rather misleading title.

I assumed he was facing deportation from Thailand.

This is a site about Thai visas...no?

Maybe title should have been" Man faces deportation from UK as wife's salary is to low"?

Then all of those who give a rat's arse about the UK could find it.

The big clue is in the name of this forum: WORLD NEWS.

Most of us have managed to figure out that this means items in this forum are not Thailand related; especially as there is another forum entitled Thailand News!

• Like 2

This is why besides other reasons 15 years or so ago we decided to give up living full-time only in Thailand for good and secure British Citizenship for the family. It meant at the time changing our whole lives, business and plans but the writing was on the wall then and was clear things re immigration in the UK would have to change in the future.

It was also clear even back then who would become the first and easy target on any crackdown and it wasnt going to be the EU members. We decided to bite the bullet and do what we had to before it became conditional as it is now. I know too many who didnt believe me then how things would change and probably still dont believe its going to get harder and worse still but it will.

I still know plenty living on indefinite leave to remain in the UK for a decade or more and doing nothing else. These people are taking a huge risk if their income status changes and when the rules on ILTR become conditional in not spending too much time outside the UK before its revoked there are going to be a lot more unhappy campers.

Theres nothing fair about the system atm or how its targeting one group and ignoring the EU elephant in the room and its only likely to get harder as time passes.

I hope they deal with the EU problem but dont count on it, good luck to one and all with partners in the UK, do what you have to and get them naturalised ASAP because in the future British Citizenship is going to get harder to attain and the conditions will become tougher.

Good luck to one and all.

Edited by englishoak
  • Like 1

Had lunch with some friends today (in Portugal) started talking with the son of my friend who was 10 years old, he showed me some homework he did in English, later i asked him, "what do you want to do after you finish school" he answered, i want to go work in Britain, i was stunned, i had no reply, in my mind i'm thinking, he is only 10 years old, is everyone here thinkinh the same thing ?

Also read,,, http://www.theportugalnews.com/news/europe-hungry-for-portugals-tradesmen/33441

Polititians have very hard decisions to make in the future, let's all move to Thailand, oh, we already have.

He entered on a tourist visa so he is not a British national but an overstayer... Illeagal status, exactly same for us here in beautiful LOS. Abide by the rules should never have had a child in such situation or at least went through correct channels before the birth... But no, prob thought this would be an easy ticket - Tuff No sympathy, no job then off you go and build a few boats elsewhere...

Sorry sir but you are wrong. He was on a marriage visa which are now withdrawn because his wife doesnt earn enough. We was thus not illegal but have been made illegal by a very unfortunate law, that kicks out husbands/wives but allow crimminals in. They were married and had a child before this law was passed, so I think you should stop hating all immigrants and start to look at individual cases on merit.

Or maybe just learn to think with the right head before spouting and firing blanks from the beautiful LOS and hypocrisy

No wonder UKIP is doing so well - Britain really is a nation of awful, petty, small-minded little turds. Thank God I got out and never have any need to go back.[/quote

Actually, the current draconian crack down on non EU immigration was installed by the LIB CON government (strange how nobody labels them as having racist policies).

The reason for the crack down is that EU immigration cannot be curbed so the only area they can squeeze is non EU migrants.

UKIP want to leave the EU and the open door policy on immigration and free up immigration into the UK for non EU citizens to create a level playing field for EU and non EU people. They would create with a process similar to the points system used in Australia.

I think a Thai spouse would have a far easier time migrating to the UK under UKIP than any of the other parties.

The crazy thing about this situation is that if an EU citizen not from the the UK decides to move to the UK he can take his non EU wife to live with him permanently as a right and there is nothing the UK government can do to prevent it.

Actually, the current draconian crack down on non EU immigration was installed by the LIB CON government (strange how nobody labels them as having racist policies).

That rather depends which newspapers you read and who you talk to.

I think a Thai spouse would have a far easier time migrating to the UK under UKIP than any of the other parties.

Perhaps but only those with acute learing difficulties would want to. Life under UKIP? I think Prayuth might be less unbearable.

Well done? And yet 200,000+ Europeans with absolutely no connection with the UK are allowed to come into the country and get benefits right off the bat; sending welfare home to kids in their home countries no less! While I understand the above is out of the UK's control -- being one of the tenets of being in the EU -- it smacks of major irony that a BRITISH SUBJECT is not allowed to keep their spouse there. This 18,600 (or 22k with kid) is simply an arbitrary figure dreamt up by that 'delightful' lady Theresa May to make it tough for British people to get their other half in. The spouse visa already stipulates 'no recourse to public funds' for crying out loud. These people are not bludgers; the wife is earning, just not enough to satisfy this figure. If I headed back and also couldn't find the right pay, it also means splitting up my family. It's a disgrace for Brits (and also that SA is a Commonwealth country) and extremely frustrating to see all the Euros piling in and bypassing the entire process.

The only way for this family to circumvent is to go and live in another EU country for a while -- with her getting a job (whatever the money) and setting up home there. They then come back into the UK and, legally, UK border control can do nothing to stop them. He will then be granted an EU right to stay as her husband (bypassing all steps and fees up to permanent leave to remain) and will get full rights as a Brit and EU citizen. This is known as the Surinder Singh method that many have resorted to using. Although the UK gov is tightening up on it, stipulating that you have to have your 'centre of life' in this other EU country before returning, they really can do nothing about it as the UK signed up to the EU and all its foibles. This above scenario is so for every other EU country.

It pains me to see the tens of thousands getting in from eastern European countries (including criminals) and something needs to be done to stop the rot and immediate recourse to public funds, but spare a thought for actual born and bred BRITISH people not being allowed to keep their spouse.

It is actually worse than you think. I am a UK citizen but have worked and lived in another EU for 20 odd years. I had my own business which unfortunately didnt go to well and i was forced to give it up. I decided at that point to return to the UK. I had no job, nowhere to live and no funds. I turned to Social Services for help until i sorted myself out and was told that I was entitled to nothing until I had first worked in the UK 6 months. The fact that I was a UK citizen and had served 12 years in the UK Forces counted for nothing. I have now decided that the UK is no place for a Brit to live.

ditto

No wonder UKIP is doing so well - Britain really is a nation of awful, petty, small-minded little turds. Thank God I got out and never have any need to go back.[/quote

The reason for the crack down is that EU immigration cannot be curbed so the only area they can squeeze is non EU migrants.

UKIP want to leave the EU and the open door policy on immigration and free up immigration into the UK for non EU citizens to create a level playing field for EU and non EU people. They would create with a process similar to the points system used in Australia.

Ironically yes.

Their stated policy is that marriage would infer automatic right of residence.

The immigration issue is not non EU entrants. Tinkering with a few issues about non EU entrants is irrelevant when EU entrants are unlimited.

If they got into power and stuck to their word (not something you can always rely on with politicians) then you are probably right, but the question is, would you want to take your Thai spouse to a country run by that lot?

They are a party that all the right wing bigots have been drawn to, there is an undercurrent of racism throughout them, and they really don't have any policies, besides the ones on immigration and the EU.

Enforcing this is a breach of their human rights to a family life.

Article 8 of the ECHR is not an absolute right; it is conditional.

The government argues that the financial requirement does not breach Article 8.

There are cases on this point going through the courts as we speak; but until they reach the ECtHR, which is still several years away, and that court passes judgement the government will continue with it's current position. Even then only if the ECtHR rules against the government will anything change.

ditto

I'm not sure who is advising you but your information is not correct. My situation is very similar to yours. 20 years plus outside the UK. I came back in April to the UK. I had to wait 3 months before I could apply for JobSeekers allowance - not six months and needing a job either. Social services gave me temporary accommodation, paid all my housing costs. After 3 months I could go on the housing register and as an emergency band (homeless) I was top of the queue for accommodation. I move in to my own flat next week. Social will pay all my housing benefits but I landed a job to start in the new year so I can start contributing to society once again. I found the social people very helpful and really happy to be back in the UK.

One thing that has changed is that people are sick of the old LibLanCon political parties. UKIP is not seen as a right wing party but a people's party. The recent by-election in Rochester was held in a working class constitency and Labour got wiped out because working folks are fed up with EU immigrants taking all the social housing because they got kids, the schools are full of non-english speakers who hold back progress of British kids. The hospitals have to treat the EU immigrants for free and they are all entitled to benefits. The immigrants who do have jobs displace the local workers because they are happy to work for less than minimum wage.

The left wing social experiment to swamp the country with low quality immigrants has failed. Working class people suffer the most and that's why they have turned to UKIP. That's why we have this situation that is now under discussion with this guy being deported even though 19K is enough to live on in Cornwall. UKIP has said marriage will automatically qualify immigrants entry to the UK, so I'm voting UKIP because I haven't seen my Thai wife in seven months as I can't bring her in without meeting the financial requirements. I will then have to wait a further six months before I can bring her in so I'm looking at about fifteen months of separation from my spouse because of the current laws. I reckon the South African geezer has it easy compared to my situation.

• Like 2

If they got into power and stuck to their word (not something you can always rely on with politicians) then you are probably right, but the question is, would you want to take your Thai spouse to a country run by that lot?

They are a party that all the right wing bigots have been drawn to, there is an undercurrent of racism throughout them, and they really don't have any policies, besides the ones on immigration and the EU.

They are far from perfect but I don't buy into the propaganda that they have an ultra right wing racist undercurrent.

The media focuses on UKIP every time one of their candidates puts a step wrong, but let every other party go with a free pass.

For example:

A Liberal councilor was jailed last year for 18 years for conducting a terror campaign in his home town - http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ex-denbigh-mayor-john-larsen-jailed-2526381- but no big news in the media. Imagine if he had been UKIP!!!!

Earlier this year another Lib councilor was convicted of racially aggrivated assault - http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news/11067497.Worcester_Park_councillor_convicted_for_racially_aggravated_assault_in_train_station_pub/%20%20/ - This happened just before the council and Euro elections this year. Can you imagine the frothing at the mouth and the headlines from the media that would have occured had he been UKIP? But he was from one of the mainstream parties so it was just a footnote.

What about Cyril Smith the former leader of the Liberals who turns out to be a paedophile? No suggestion that the individual's conduct represents the party as a whole, except of course if it's a UKIP member who offends.

You are right in saying they don't have so many solid manifesto policies as the other main parties but you have to look at how young they are and how much they have grown in recent years, which does mitigate this a bit.

They were only established 21 years ago (compare this with the major parties who have generation upon generation experience to draw upon) and it is only in the last couple of years that they have gone from a fringe inconsequence to a major player.

I think they deserve an opportunity to grow and develop more policies and become a more established party.

They are way too Thatcherite for my liking but in all honesty I see them as the lesser of 4 evils and they are the only party commited to leaving the EU. I will vote for them next year.

Edited by teatree
  • Like 2

They are far from perfect but I don't buy into the propaganda that they have an ultra right wing racist undercurrent.

The media focuses on UKIP every time one of their candidates puts a step wrong, but let every other party go with a free pass.

To me, the propaganda is all this stuff about how UKIP is being somehow unfairly persecuted by the media and how MPs from other parties get a free pass with the press. I don't think they do.

UKIP gets the bad press it deserves.

• Like 1

For example:

A Liberal councilor was jailed last year for 18 years for conducting a terror campaign in his home town - http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ex-denbigh-mayor-john-larsen-jailed-2526381- but no big news in the media. Imagine if he had been UKIP!!!!

Earlier this year another Lib councilor was convicted of racially aggrivated assault - http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news/11067497.Worcester_Park_councillor_convicted_for_racially_aggravated_assault_in_train_station_pub/%20%20/ - This happened just before the council and Euro elections this year. Can you imagine the frothing at the mouth and the headlines from the media that would have occured had he been UKIP? But he was from one of the mainstream parties so it was just a footnote.

What about Cyril Smith the former leader of the Liberals who turns out to be a paedophile? No suggestion that the individual's conduct represents the party as a whole, except of course if it's a UKIP member who offends.

You are right in saying they don't have so many solid manifesto policies as the other main parties but you have to look at how young they are and how much they have grown in recent years, which does mitigate this a bit.

They were only established 21 years ago (compare this with the major parties who have generation upon generation experience to draw upon) and it is only in the last couple of years that they have gone from a fringe inconsequence to a major player.

I think they deserve an opportunity to grow and develop more policies and become a more established party.

They are way too Thatcherite for my liking but in all honesty I see them as the lesser of 4 evils and they are the only party commited to leaving the EU. I will vote for them next year.

There is am immigrant debate because there are a lot of immigrants .

This debate has never been had and the figures for ingress under labour were huge and largelt hidden. No one has asked the British people if they want this type of immigration, so if the main parties are going to ask, I don't blame the populous for telling them to stick it and they will vote for the only party asking them the right questions.

Hazel blears was on TV this morning prattling on about how britain has such a wonderful history of immigration bla bla bla.

Yes it did in a managed and controlled manner and not by throwing open the borders to potentially 300mn.

To me, the propaganda is all this stuff about how UKIP is being somehow unfairly persecuted by the media and how MPs from other parties get a free pass with the press. I don't think they do.

Labour can thank UKIP for one thing. It keeps the limelight of Milliband. Where has he been the last month or so. Is he hiding under the stairs?

In the run up to this year's election there were dozens of coucilors and candidates from ALL parties commiting criminal offences and saying offensive things yet the media ignored the LIbLabCon and focused only on UKIP.

One of the UKIP cadidates made a comment which could be seen by some as being mildly homophobic. Not defending what he said - it was wrong and he got roasted, headlines on the news and everything.

However, turns out he had recently defected from the Conservatives and had made a similarly offensive (many would say worse) comment whilst serving for the tories.

Where was the faux outrage when was a tory? I'll tell you - It did not exist!

Only when he became UKIP did his opinions become offensive and outrage ensued.

• Like 1

The problem is you can get by on less than £18k as a couple if you live outside of London.

If I was this guy then I'd have my wife adopt the child (if that's possible), I'd move to Ireland short term and invoke my rights under Directive 2004/38/EC and then wait 3 months and move back. I know the UK are illegally testing that your 'centre of life' has moved to Ireland but hopefully EU case law will have that thrown out.

I'm sick of the UK and it's hostility towards foreigners, foreign spouses and immigration in general. 6 years for citizenship is a joke. The place is going to implode when they pull out the EU. Funny thing is right, you will get more non-white immigration when you do pull out because they'll be able to bring more South-Asians and Africans whilst still keeping the numbers low.

Anyway I'm off to Canada were my wife and I will be given PR right off the bat and hopefully citizenship in 3 years. Their system seems to respect immigration more.

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Migration_and_migrant_population_statistics

There may be newer statistics, but after studying these, I don't know what UK people are complaining about. One thing is for sure. It is not immigrants from EC countries that made Mohammad the number one boy's name in England. Please, note that the UK has the 2nd highest number of emigrants. Only Spain has more and shows a significant net decrease. Germany has the highest number of immigrants and by far the most non-nationals at 7.7m. The UK comes in 3rd at 5.9m. The UK is quicker than others giving citizenship.

Lots of interesting figures that make you wonder.

A Home Office spokesman said the rules were designed to stop foreign spouses becoming reliant on UK taxpayers.

Didn't think that a foreign spouse such as this was allowed access to any benefits or welfare.

I would not be so sure about that..... Don't know about the UK rules, but in Canada they do not stop you from collecting welfare.... but if you sponsored a spouse (or other relative) then you are responsible for repayment of those benefits to the government. Divorce does not let you out of those commitments, they stay, and you are still responsible until the sponsorship period ends (don't know if it is a set period but I seem to remember someone marrying and getting divorced and she ended up on assistance and he was still responsible for up to 10 years -- divorce happened a few years after marriage). You might want to research that point.

In the run up to this year's election there were dozens of coucilors and candidates from ALL parties commiting criminal offences and saying offensive things yet the media ignored the LIbLabCon and focused only on UKIP.

One of the UKIP cadidates made a comment which could be seen by some as being mildly homophobic. Not defending what he said - it was wrong and he got roasted, headlines on the news and everything.

However, turns out he had recently defected from the Conservatives and had made a similarly offensive (many would say worse) comment whilst serving for the tories.

Where was the faux outrage when was a tory? I'll tell you - It did not exist!

Only when he became UKIP did his opinions become offensive and outrage ensued.

Whether or not that proves that UKIP is being unfairly dealt with by the press, I'm not yet convinced... but one thing that story does certainly prove to me, is the right wing bigoted dross that UKIP is attracting into its fold, like flies to you know what.