Man faces deportation as UK wife's salary too low

Lite Beer

Man faces deportation as UK wife's salary too low

A man faces deportation from the UK after a judge said his British wife's salary was not high enough.

Michael Engel, from South Africa, said the "bizarre" immigration system rules were "attacking British citizens".

Mr Engel, a 31-year-old yacht engineer living in Cornwall, said he and wife Natalie plan to go back to South Africa with 18-month-old daughter Nyana.

A Home Office spokesman said the rules were designed to stop foreign spouses becoming reliant on UK taxpayers.

Read More: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-30439592

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-12-12

• Like 2

Don't they usually prevent them from entering the country in the first place if the financial situation isn't sufficient to support them?

Yes, they do now. I don't get how he went from a visitor visa to getting a spousal visa as he should be outside the country to receive the latter while his wife stays in UK to satisfy the financial requirements for his application. Only thing I can think of is he is still on the visitor visa but has been told he won't be able to apply for the spousal visa after he leaves to return on spousal visa. But even if she gets a pay rise and he gets in, they will be checked again in 30 months at extension time. People think we have it tough here, but this system is completely unrealistic and stinks to high heaven.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Good job, well done the UK Gov. for once alt=thumbsup.gif>

Well done? And yet 200,000+ Europeans with absolutely no connection with the UK are allowed to come into the country and get benefits right off the bat; sending welfare home to kids in their home countries no less! While I understand the above is out of the UK's control -- being one of the tenets of being in the EU -- it smacks of major irony that a BRITISH SUBJECT is not allowed to keep their spouse there. This 18,600 (or 22k with kid) is simply an arbitrary figure dreamt up by that 'delightful' lady Theresa May to make it tough for British people to get their other half in. The spouse visa already stipulates 'no recourse to public funds' for crying out loud. These people are not bludgers; the wife is earning, just not enough to satisfy this figure. If I headed back and also couldn't find the right pay, it also means splitting up my family. It's a disgrace for Brits (and also that SA is a Commonwealth country) and extremely frustrating to see all the Euros piling in and bypassing the entire process.

The only way for this family to circumvent is to go and live in another EU country for a while -- with her getting a job (whatever the money) and setting up home there. They then come back into the UK and, legally, UK border control can do nothing to stop them. He will then be granted an EU right to stay as her husband (bypassing all steps and fees up to permanent leave to remain) and will get full rights as a Brit and EU citizen. This is known as the Surinder Singh method that many have resorted to using. Although the UK gov is tightening up on it, stipulating that you have to have your 'centre of life' in this other EU country before returning, they really can do nothing about it as the UK signed up to the EU and all its foibles. This above scenario is so for every other EU country.

It pains me to see the tens of thousands getting in from eastern European countries (including criminals) and something needs to be done to stop the rot and immediate recourse to public funds, but spare a thought for actual born and bred BRITISH people not being allowed to keep their spouse.

one of the best posts i've ever seen on TV alt=thumbsup.gif>

Yep, +1......................thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I think if they are not born in the UK, married to someone born in UK or their parents were not born in the UK then they should send them all home. I guess if that doesn't sort out the issue of every man and his dog moving to the UK from other parts of the EU, then as a last resort the UK could adopt Thailand's laws on immigration, that would certainly sort out the freeloaders. Too many people claiming rights and UK citizenship and ripping an already struggling system off, because one of their great ancestors was British… woopty f$%king doo daaa.

Edited by Phuketboy
  • Like 1

He entered on a tourist visa so he is not a British national but an overstayer... Illeagal status, exactly same for us here in beautiful LOS. Abide by the rules should never have had a child in such situation or at least went through correct channels before the birth... But no, prob thought this would be an easy ticket - Tuff No sympathy, no job then off you go and build a few boats elsewhere...

Edited by Lokie
  • Like 1

Good job, well done the UK Gov. for once thumbsup.gif

Well done? And yet 200,000+ Europeans with absolutely no connection with the UK are allowed to come into the country and get benefits right off the bat; sending welfare home to kids in their home countries no less! While I understand the above is out of the UK's control -- being one of the tenets of being in the EU -- it smacks of major irony that a BRITISH SUBJECT is not allowed to keep their spouse there. This 18,600 (or 22k with kid) is simply an arbitrary figure dreamt up by that 'delightful' lady Theresa May to make it tough for British people to get their other half in. The spouse visa already stipulates 'no recourse to public funds' for crying out loud. These people are not bludgers; the wife is earning, just not enough to satisfy this figure. If I headed back and also couldn't find the right pay, it also means splitting up my family. It's a disgrace for Brits (and also that SA is a Commonwealth country) and extremely frustrating to see all the Euros piling in and bypassing the entire process.

The only way for this family to circumvent is to go and live in another EU country for a while -- with her getting a job (whatever the money) and setting up home there. They then come back into the UK and, legally, UK border control can do nothing to stop them. He will then be granted an EU right to stay as her husband (bypassing all steps and fees up to permanent leave to remain) and will get full rights as a Brit and EU citizen. This is known as the Surinder Singh method that many have resorted to using. Although the UK gov is tightening up on it, stipulating that you have to have your 'centre of life' in this other EU country before returning, they really can do nothing about it as the UK signed up to the EU and all its foibles. This above scenario is so for every other EU country.

It pains me to see the tens of thousands getting in from eastern European countries (including criminals) and something needs to be done to stop the rot and immediate recourse to public funds, but spare a thought for actual born and bred BRITISH people not being allowed to keep their spouse.

Nothing to say but clap2.gif

Doesn't the extra 3,000 required only apply if the child is not a British Citizen?? So they actually earn enough to stay as the 18,000 threshold applies to them? Unless the girl is not her natural daughter.....

I can't see there would be a financial requirement for someone who has full right to live in the Uk.

I can not see how a self employed person could not earn enough to meet the limits, you tell the tax man how much you earned that year on a tax return, surely if you need £23,000 you show £23,000 on the tax return, every self employed person takes some cash in their business, some more than others.

HUAHIN62 A link to fuller details of his permission to stay details would be nice

Good job, well done the UK Gov. for once thumbsup.gif

Keep her spouse from South Africa. Sure there is not enough color in GB hahhahaha

The British taxpayer has been taken for a ride for years, courtesy of ludicrous EU and UK laws, their interpretation and application by idiots, and near-unrestricted immigration, both of legal layabouts and of the illegal version. And that ignores politicians lining their own, and bankers', pockets.

Yet the HO is getting in a tizz over a working British woman's salary being insufficient to support her engineer husband, whom I assume does work.

• Like 2

So she earns 19k through her business and needs 23k. What about his income? If they are married or living as a couple doesn't his income count in the equation? There doesn't seem to be any mention of his financial circumstances other than his being a yacht engineer.

I think if they are not born in the UK, married to someone born in UK or their parents were not born in the UK then they should send them all home. I guess if that doesn't sort out the issue of every man and his dog moving to the UK from other parts of the EU, then as a last resort the UK could adopt Thailand's laws on immigration, that would certainly sort out the freeloaders. Too many people claiming rights and UK citizenship and ripping an already struggling system off, because one of their great ancestors was British… woopty f$%king doo daaa.

This should also apply to all UK expats in Spain, Italy and France. Deport the lot of them. It would improve the immigration figures (Spain alone has over a million UK expats) but would probably increase the murder rate as they are such whinging moaning minnies.

It would also send Farage into apoplexy and probably make him explode (no bad thing).

But, of course, none of the rules apply if you happen to be a Russian billionaire wanting to avoid tax and not be prepared to contribute in any way to their country of residence, although happy to use all the facilities..

• Like 1

I had to jump through hoops to get my ''Thai Partner'' a UK VISITORS VISA.....

We are now here for ''Christmas and New Year'' and the amount of TV Programmes that are on , about the above subject is a nightly thing..

They do seem to be cracking down, but too late, thats for sure....

For years they have been handing out ''British Citizenship'' to any Tom Dick or Harry...

This should also apply to all UK expats in Spain, Italy and France. Deport the lot of them. It would improve the immigration figures (Spain alone has over a million UK expats) but would probably increase the murder rate as they are such whinging moaning minnies.

It would also send Farage into apoplexy and probably make him explode (no bad thing).

But, of course, none of the rules apply if you happen to be a Russian billionaire wanting to avoid tax and not be prepared to contribute in any way to their country of residence, although happy to use all the facilities..

Previous to living in ''Thailand'' i lived in ''France'' for nearly 15 years, and they have big immigration problems too, mostly ''Algerians or Morrocans'', but the ''French System'' is quite hard on them and they dont get much benefits, hence they live in Squats on the Outskirts of Paris...

The UK has been far too soft on Immigration laws.... thats for sure..

• Like 2