Man faces deportation as UK wife's salary too low

Lite Beer

I think a Thai spouse would have a far easier time migrating to the UK under UKIP than any of the other parties.
If they got into power and stuck to their word (not something you can always rely on with politicians) then you are probably right, but the question is, would you want to take your Thai spouse to a country run by that lot?

They are a party that all the right wing bigots have been drawn to, there is an undercurrent of racism throughout them, and they really don't have any policies, besides the ones on immigration and the EU.

They are far from perfect but I don't buy into the propaganda that they have an ultra right wing racist undercurrent.

The media focuses on UKIP every time one of their candidates puts a step wrong, but let every other party go with a free pass.

To me, the propaganda is all this stuff about how UKIP is being somehow unfairly persecuted by the media and how MPs from other parties get a free pass with the press. I don't think they do.

UKIP gets the bad press it deserves.

In the run up to this year's election there were dozens of coucilors and candidates from ALL parties commiting criminal offences and saying offensive things yet the media ignored the LIbLabCon and focused only on UKIP.

One of the UKIP cadidates made a comment which could be seen by some as being mildly homophobic. Not defending what he said - it was wrong and he got roasted, headlines on the news and everything.

However, turns out he had recently defected from the Conservatives and had made a similarly offensive (many would say worse) comment whilst serving for the tories.

Where was the faux outrage when was a tory? I'll tell you - It did not exist!

Only when he became UKIP did his opinions become offensive and outrage ensued.

Whether or not that proves that UKIP is being unfairly dealt with by the press, I'm not yet convinced... but one thing that story does certainly prove to me, is the right wing bigoted dross that UKIP is attracting into its fold, like flies to you know what.

You have kind of proved my point really.

You roast UKIP for allowing the former Tory into their party but let the Conservatives (with whom he was a an MEP for 14 years) get away with a free pass. No critisism of the Tories as being bigoted.

If a BNP councilor defects to LIBLABCON (there have been several - here is one) http://www.theguardian.com/society/2004/jun/14/localgovernment.politics, it's a non story, just a minor footnote and certainly no implication that right wing bigoted dross are being attracted to these parties like flies to you know what.

If a BNP councilor defects to UKIP? Headline news, protests outside UKIP headquaters and condemnation by all. Actually, former BNP members are banned from joining UKIP (the only party that does this) for precisely that reason.

There may well be bigots who support UKIP (as is the case for all parties) but the vast majority are just ordinary people fed up with the more established parties and want change.

• Like 1

They are far from perfect but I don't buy into the propaganda that they have an ultra right wing racist undercurrent.

The media focuses on UKIP every time one of their candidates puts a step wrong, but let every other party go with a free pass.

Of course people from the mainstream parties say terrible things, and the Tories have long institutionalized that as party policy, but they are not on the scale or regularity of UKIP's racist, sexist, gay-hating, or just outright insane, drivel - all of which is now a weekly event. Just today, another one of their reptilian little representatives is in the news for going on about 'Chinks' and 'disgusting old poofters'. What will it be next week, I wonder. Really, pretending that it's not a racist party for racist imbeciles is ridiculous; its appeal is precisely that of a particularly nauseating reactionary, white, petty bourgeois Englishness. They know that. And reactionary petty bourgeois white racists know that, too, which is exactly why they are flocking to UKIP in droves.

If a BNP councilor defects to LIBLABCON (there have been several - here is one) http://www.theguardi...rnment.politics, it's a non story, just a minor footnote

That's a story from a decade ago. Is that the best the Google can do? And it's reported in The Guardian so it's hardly a non-story.

• Like 1

He should have jumped out of the back of a lorry in Dover, he would have been put up in bed and breakfast had money thrown at him and would never have to work ever again ,with no fear of being sent back home mind you if he had been a white heterosexual Christian he could have been in trouble

Edited by i claudius

^ Can I interest you in an exciting new and not in any way racist party? We're called UKIP. You may have seen our leader on TV. He's a loud mouthed public school buffoon who used to work in the City and has somehow managed to convince large numbers of English voters that he's one of them. If you hate darkies, feel nauseous at the sight of shirt-lifters, and think that groping young women is perfectly normal (they're all slags, anyway, right?) and that bad weather is sent by God to punish us for our sins, then you'll be more than welcome. Just don't say how you feel when any of those liberal sell-out elite journalists are around. They're all out to get us, don't you know.

I think a Thai spouse would have a far easier time migrating to the UK under UKIP than any of the other parties.
If they got into power and stuck to their word (not something you can always rely on with politicians) then you are probably right, but the question is, would you want to take your Thai spouse to a country run by that lot?

They are a party that all the right wing bigots have been drawn to, there is an undercurrent of racism throughout them, and they really don't have any policies, besides the ones on immigration and the EU.

To me, the propaganda is all this stuff about how UKIP is being somehow unfairly persecuted by the media and how MPs from other parties get a free pass with the press. I don't think they do.

In the run up to this year's election there were dozens of coucilors and candidates from ALL parties commiting criminal offences and saying offensive things yet the media ignored the LIbLabCon and focused only on UKIP.

One of the UKIP cadidates made a comment which could be seen by some as being mildly homophobic. Not defending what he said - it was wrong and he got roasted, headlines on the news and everything.

However, turns out he had recently defected from the Conservatives and had made a similarly offensive (many would say worse) comment whilst serving for the tories.

Where was the faux outrage when was a tory? I'll tell you - It did not exist!

Only when he became UKIP did his opinions become offensive and outrage ensued.

Whether or not that proves that UKIP is being unfairly dealt with by the press, I'm not yet convinced... but one thing that story does certainly prove to me, is the right wing bigoted dross that UKIP is attracting into its fold, like flies to you know what.

You have kind of proved my point really.

You roast UKIP for allowing the former Tory into their party but let the Conservatives (with whom he was a an MEP for 14 years) get away with a free pass. No critisism of the Tories as being bigoted.

If a BNP councilor defects to LIBLABCON (there have been several - here is one) http://www.theguardian.com/society/2004/jun/14/localgovernment.politics, it's a non story, just a minor footnote and certainly no implication that right wing bigoted dross are being attracted to these parties like flies to you know what.

If a BNP councilor defects to UKIP? Headline news, protests outside UKIP headquaters and condemnation by all. Actually, former BNP members are banned from joining UKIP (the only party that does this) for precisely that reason.

There may well be bigots who support UKIP (as is the case for all parties) but the vast majority are just ordinary people fed up with the more established parties and want change.

You have proved my point. Your story was about a UKIP politician. I commented on that politician and the party he represents, and you want to know why I didn't "roast" the Tory party.

More than happy to "roast" the Tory party if given the opportunity. Goodness knows they have their share of dross. A story about a UKIP member, didn't strike me as really being an opportunity, no matter what his past affiliations were.

Edited by rixalex

Populist idiots are everywhere. There are reports about PEGIDA in Germany, an anti-islamisation movement. Run by convicted criminals and hooligans. The anti-European AfD embraces them. France has similar anti-Marrocan, anti-foreigner groups. UKIP is not alone. Populist idiots are everywhere.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30478321

This is an intractable problem: the law, as I understand it was introduced in an attempt to stop Pakistani men with British passports form bringing young uneducated peasant girls over from Pakistan as brides. These girls can't speak English with a result that when their kids start school they cannot speak English despite being born in UK and are thus a break on the progress of the whole school.

Being the paragon of non racist virtue that the UK has become this law has to be applied without favour which means that I as an indigenous British citizen, with a son who is British/Thai I am unable to take my Thai wife to UK unless I earn 18,000 quid. The arguments about Eastern Europeans is fatuous, the vast majority come to UK to work not to scrounge benefits, though the gypsies and others who are on the take should I agree be returned to their country of origin. My guess is that the law doesn't work in its desired intent as money will be being lent between the tight knit Pakistani community and these girls will be getting into UK anyway.

One final point to consider: if UK leaves the EU (which in my view would be utterly foolhardy) do you not think the EU would retaliate. Does the UK really want up to 4 million Brits who live abroad returning to the motherland against their will? Do we want to create a dozen or more economically idle Eastbournes? I mean at least the Pakistanis make nice curries!

I think your assessment of the Gov's motives is correct. How do you stop Sharia law and Islamisation in London without being racist or intolerant vs intolerant, aggressive religion. This is not about Thai brides, South African grooms or EC workers. My last trip to London was similar to this video.

MUSLIM HOSPITALITY IN LONDON -- A SCARY VIDEO LIK…:

I don't know what these Pegida demos in Germany complain about. Turkish areas in Berlin are nothing like this. I stayed at an IBIS in Whitechapel. Next door is a mosque that will wake you up every morning. But, I don't like bells from several churches or early morning Karaoke in Thailand, either.

CapeCobra

"A Home Office spokesman said the rules were designed to stop foreign spouses becoming reliant on UK taxpayers."

That just great foreign spouses can't become reliant on UK taxpayers but everyone else who sets foot in the country can.

Love a gross overgeneralisation from the right wing red neck chattering classes.

Eat your heart out colonel blimp

2nd try for link

Clipboard pasting from Youtube not working here. 2 words enough to find it.

Nothing to do with this topic; but.........

Tommy Robinson, real name Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, aka Andrew McMaster, aka Paul Harris.

A convicted football hooligan.

A man who served time for assaulting the off duty policeman who intervened to stop him from beating up his then girlfriend.

A man who served time for head-butting a fellow EDL member in an argument.

A fine example to us all!

As for the video; he claims he cannot walk down that street. Maybe he can't, but all the white people in the background obviously can.

The Muslim man should not have slapped him; but one could argue that he was provoked. They had obviously knew each other, and the man obviously just wanted to talk. It was Robinson who was the one doing all the insulting; it was Robinson who was doing all the swearing.

No excuse for the slap, though.

2nd try for link

Tommy Robinson, real name Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, aka Andrew McMaster, aka Paul Harris.

A man who served time for assaulting the off duty policeman who intervened to stop him from beating up his then girlfriend.

As for the video; he claims he cannot walk down that street. Maybe he can't, but all the white people in the background obviously can.

The Muslim man should not have slapped him; but one could argue that he was provoked. They had obviously knew each other, and the man obviously just wanted to talk. It was Robinson who was the one doing all the insulting; it was Robinson who was doing all the swearing.

Thanks for background info. I don't know this guy. No support for any scum. I only searched for Sharia in London and found this. There are probably better examples. I saw these Sharia types threatening Muslim girls in front of a club. Couldn't believe my eyes. There were no Farangs anywhere. I was completely out of place. My business associates apologised for putting me into "Pakistan". The previous time they had booked me into "India". That was a bit friendlier. Next time back to Covent Garden and my favourite Greek restaurant.

2nd try for link

The real point is that if the Muslims weren't there then there would be no EDL and no Tommy Robinson, though he'd probably still be a football hooligan...

These Muslims don't want to integrate. Far from it. They want to destroy the societies in which they have infiltrated and want to turn them into a place of their own likeness.

They go off to fight in Syria on behalf of Isis. They murder innocents in a coffee shop in downtown Sydney. They kill children in Afghan schools. They tried to assassinate that little Pakistani girl (forgot her name) who spoke out in favour of female education. You can't appease these people. They don't want to negotiate with you. The kindest thing we can do is get them out of our countries. There's a lot worse we can do.

If posters think it is racist to want to protect your own culture from those who wish to destroy it then they are very short-sighted. Thank God for UKIp for waking people up to the dangers of our countries being infiltrated by very dangerous people. Thank God that our western countries are finally waking up to the real facists.

He entered on a tourist visa so he is not a British national but an overstayer... Illeagal status, exactly same for us here in beautiful LOS. Abide by the rules should never have had a child in such situation or at least went through correct channels before the birth... But no, prob thought this would be an easy ticket - Tuff No sympathy, no job then off you go and build a few boats elsewhere...

Sorry sir but you are wrong. He was on a marriage visa which are now withdrawn because his wife doesnt earn enough. We was thus not illegal but have been made illegal by a very unfortunate law, that kicks out husbands/wives but allow crimminals in. They were married and had a child before this law was passed, so I think you should stop hating all immigrants and start to look at individual cases on merit.

Don't have to be sorry, just read through the thread and you will find I am correct; an unemployed SA national on a tourist visa. Back up with evidence as other posters have asked, oh problem there as you have nothing to back up your statement above... yawn... next!

For example:

A Liberal councilor was jailed last year for 18 years for conducting a terror campaign in his home town - http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ex-denbigh-mayor-john-larsen-jailed-2526381- but no big news in the media. Imagine if he had been UKIP!!!!

Earlier this year another Lib councilor was convicted of racially aggrivated assault - http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news/11067497.Worcester_Park_councillor_convicted_for_racially_aggravated_assault_in_train_station_pub/%20%20/ - This happened just before the council and Euro elections this year. Can you imagine the frothing at the mouth and the headlines from the media that would have occured had he been UKIP? But he was from one of the mainstream parties so it was just a footnote.

What about Cyril Smith the former leader of the Liberals who turns out to be a paedophile? No suggestion that the individual's conduct represents the party as a whole, except of course if it's a UKIP member who offends.

You are right in saying they don't have so many solid manifesto policies as the other main parties but you have to look at how young they are and how much they have grown in recent years, which does mitigate this a bit.

They were only established 21 years ago (compare this with the major parties who have generation upon generation experience to draw upon) and it is only in the last couple of years that they have gone from a fringe inconsequence to a major player.

I think they deserve an opportunity to grow and develop more policies and become a more established party.

They are way too Thatcherite for my liking but in all honesty I see them as the lesser of 4 evils and they are the only party commited to leaving the EU. I will vote for them next year.

Wrong post, Sorry.

Edited by billd766

For example:

A Liberal councilor was jailed last year for 18 years for conducting a terror campaign in his home town - http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ex-denbigh-mayor-john-larsen-jailed-2526381- but no big news in the media. Imagine if he had been UKIP!!!!

Earlier this year another Lib councilor was convicted of racially aggrivated assault - http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news/11067497.Worcester_Park_councillor_convicted_for_racially_aggravated_assault_in_train_station_pub/%20%20/ - This happened just before the council and Euro elections this year. Can you imagine the frothing at the mouth and the headlines from the media that would have occured had he been UKIP? But he was from one of the mainstream parties so it was just a footnote.

What about Cyril Smith the former leader of the Liberals who turns out to be a paedophile? No suggestion that the individual's conduct represents the party as a whole, except of course if it's a UKIP member who offends.

You are right in saying they don't have so many solid manifesto policies as the other main parties but you have to look at how young they are and how much they have grown in recent years, which does mitigate this a bit.

They were only established 21 years ago (compare this with the major parties who have generation upon generation experience to draw upon) and it is only in the last couple of years that they have gone from a fringe inconsequence to a major player.

I think they deserve an opportunity to grow and develop more policies and become a more established party.

They are way too Thatcherite for my liking but in all honesty I see them as the lesser of 4 evils and they are the only party commited to leaving the EU. I will vote for them next year.

Posted in error Sorry

The UKIP policies can be found here.

http://www.ukip.org/policies_for_people

2nd try for link

The real point is that if the Muslims weren't there then there would be no EDL and no Tommy Robinson, though he'd probably still be a football hooligan...

If there were no Muslims in the UK then Robinson, or whatever name he is using at the moment, and his ilk would be picking on a different target; West Indians, Hindus, Sikhs, anyone with a different skin colour and/or religion.

In the 1930s he would have been one of Mosley's brownshirts and attacking Jews. In the 1950's he would have been attacking black West Indians.

These Muslims don't want to integrate. Far from it. They want to destroy the societies in which they have infiltrated and want to turn them into a place of their own likeness.

They go off to fight in Syria on behalf of Isis. They murder innocents in a coffee shop in downtown Sydney. They kill children in Afghan schools. They tried to assassinate that little Pakistani girl (forgot her name) who spoke out in favour of female education. You can't appease these people. They don't want to negotiate with you. The kindest thing we can do is get them out of our countries. There's a lot worse we can do.

If posters think it is racist to want to protect your own culture from those who wish to destroy it then they are very short-sighted. Thank God for UKIp for waking people up to the dangers of our countries being infiltrated by very dangerous people. Thank God that our western countries are finally waking up to the real facists.

This topic is not about the integration of Muslims in the UK nor the atrocities of Islamist terrorists. There are already plenty of topics in News and Outside the Box on those subjects; you will find my comments there..

I suggest we restrict discussion of these matters to the relevant topics. Not derail this one which is about a South African man, his British wife and their child, none of whom are, to the best of my knowledge, Muslim, and the effects of the financial requirement for family settlement on families.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1

Back on topic.

According to this article, Mr Engels had a Derivative Residence Card.

To get this, he would have needed to show that was the primary carer of one of the following:

• a British child who would have to leave the EEA with you if he left
  • an EEA child who is financially independent and has full health insurance in the UK, and who would have to leave the EEA with him if he left
  • a British dependent adult
  • the child of an EEA worker who is currently at school or university and who would have to leave the EEA with him if he left.

2 and 4 obviously do not apply; which leaves 1 and 3.

I looked at this in detail for a Thai friend of mine who had a British child with a British father. She failed to get this because the child lived with the father who was able and willing to look after the child and so he was judged to be the child's primary carer, not her.

In the Engel's case, the mother is British, lives in the UK and is capable of looking after the child. So who is the primary carer; her or him? Also, as Mrs Engel is working and capable of caring for the child, the child would not have had to leave the UK with Mr Engel if he left. So that rules out 1.

Mrs Engel can work and is working and so is not dependent upon him. Which rules out 3.

Additionally, to be eligible for a DRC, the applicant needs to be living in the UK; a resident. Mr Engel entered the UK as a visitor, visit visas cannot be converted to residency inside the UK; he was not a resident.

So how did he obtain a DRC?

As previously mentioned, when he applied for settlement their child, being British, would not have been included in the financial requirement; despite what all the news reports say, they've got that wrong.

So Mrs Engel's earnings of £19,786 were above the minimum required.

As said before; there appears to be a lot more to this case than has been reported in the press.

Having said all that, I am in complete sympathy with the Engel's and anyone else in their position. The financial requirement as it currently stands is an ill thought out piece of legislation, rushed through and needs a complete overhaul.

Will that happen? Doubt it; whoever wins the election next year.

• Like 1

2nd try for link

If there were no Muslims in the UK then Robinson, or whatever name he is using at the moment, and his ilk would be picking on a different target; West Indians, Hindus, Sikhs, anyone with a different skin colour and/or religion.

In the 1930s he would have been one of Mosley's brownshirts and attacking Jews. In the 1950's he would have been attacking black West Indians.

This topic is not about the integration of Muslims in the UK nor the atrocities of Islamist terrorists. There are already plenty of topics in News and Outside the Box on those subjects; you will find my comments there..

I suggest we restrict discussion of these matters to the relevant topics. Not derail this one which is about a South African man, his British wife and their child, none of whom are, to the best of my knowledge, Muslim, and the effects of the financial requirement for family settlement on families.

Agreed we should keep this thread on topic but you obviously did a little bit of research on Tommy whoever for this thread.

And to suggest how he might have behaved in the 1930s or 1960s is ridiculous frankly. Can you assume to know how a modern day German or Dutchman would have behaved in the 1930s?

I think we should keep to the topic indeed.

Edited by NCFC