valve adjustment on honda scooters?

norwaygeir

I'm planning to buy a honda vision 50 cc pgfi for a christmas present to my wife in norway (it's the same bike as spacy-i, but with 50 cc engine). The price is very high at 95000 baht (special price, will go up after new year), and the price on regular service is also very high (5-10000 baht each). I asked what was included in service, and oilchange, regulare stuff, but also valve adjustment was very importent (at 1000 km service). I never seen them do this in thailand with any of my 10 different scooters I own there, is that normal to do? They say they have to do it because of warrenty, but they never had to adust it, only check it. I going to do the services my self, but should I skip this part? I never had it done on my click, and it still works well after 25000 km and 5 years. Thanks, and sorry for my poor english.

Hei . No problem , your English is fine. Much of an engines wear takes place when it is new , and running in. There is more chance of the valve clearences closing up ( getting tight ) during the initial bedding in period. Once checked at 1,000 KM they wont need checking again untill 10,000 KM. Prices in Norway sound expensive , so you may wish to buy a service manual / book or get someone to help you. The tools you need are called "feeler gauges". Make sure all measurements are in Metric. Good luck. thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7pbAk

The Honda dealer that does my service only changes the oil. They never check anything!

Even the oil filter screen unchecked after 10,000 kilometers. Did it myself.

They will put 60lbs of pressure in my tires if I ASK them to check the air.

My air filter was dirty and a year old. Never checked. Did it myself.

I don't trust the monkeys to do a proper valve check.

I went to youtube and watched the video on adjusting the valves, bought the tools and will do that myself.

CT , if that was a "Honda" dealer , i can see why you ( DIY ) do it yourself. Poor service and dangerous. Honda must have the lowest standard of service in Thailand , and thats saying something !.I would never buy another Honda untill - IF - the quality , of 8 or more years ago , returns. As most "Hondas" are now made in India , Brazil and Thailand etc , using many Chinese parts , i dont expect the quality of the bikes to improve anytime soon. Unless you can find a mechanic you trust with your life , you need to stand over them to make sure the correct and recomended work is done safely and correctly. Just as easy to DIY.

• Like 1

I wouldn't just single out Honda.

I had a frame nut stripped at Kawasaki Pattaya and an axle slider fall off riding because Pirelli on Suk77/OnNut in Bangkok didn't think to tighten the axle slider nut.

I know it's not fun, but I recommend watching the service guys like a hawk or checking the work asap since it's your life at stake.

• Like 1

Low work standard is an available option in many countries . I hope it didnt seem i was singleing out Thailand. Yes , you do need to be standing over them , but what if you dont know what to look out for !.Servicing i do myself , the falling quality of "Honda" , i cant help with. How did they manage to strip a frame nut , they aint small.facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_3yf2 .

CT , if that was a "Honda" dealer , i can see why you ( DIY ) do it yourself. Poor service and dangerous. Honda must have the lowest standard of service in Thailand , and thats saying something !.I would never buy another Honda untill - IF - the quality , of 8 or more years ago , returns. As most "Hondas" are now made in India , Brazil and Thailand etc , using many Chinese parts , i dont expect the quality of the bikes to improve anytime soon. Unless you can find a mechanic you trust with your life , you need to stand over them to make sure the correct and recomended work is done safely and correctly. Just as easy to DIY.

Odd, this contradicts my experiences.

Honda's Big Wing has been just as professional as the Kawasaki dealership I have had dealings with. The little dealer in the moo ban over has gone out of their way to make sure things get done on the scooters.

You remind me of an alternative reality ll2. Almost same-same but different. I wonder how it feels knowing that the manufacturer of your forum namesake is producing their cheap bikes in India and then importing them into the Kingdom and ripping people off on pricing....

Odd, this contradicts my experiences.

Honda's Big Wing has been just as professional as the Kawasaki dealership I have had dealings with. The little dealer in the moo ban over has gone out of their way to make sure things get done on the scooters.

You remind me of an alternative reality ll2. Almost same-same but different. I wonder how it feels knowing that the manufacturer of your forum namesake is producing their cheap bikes in India and then importing them into the Kingdom and ripping people off on pricing....

dave please do not compare people. no way i am alternative reality of someone else bro.

but it is good that you start to see things and people.

i confirm also good service from honda bigwing and small honda dealers. like sumet cycle.

Dave , i dont doubt you , and some others , have had a god job at a Honda dealer. My experience was sadly very different , and dangerous. What im saying is if you (anybody) doesnt know much about bikes , how do they ensure a safe job is done , anywhere ? Yes i agree , KTM,s vastly overpriced angry.gif.pagespeed.ce.l3zkt7JShRzHMKd9L GRRRR !. Only some of the smaller bikes (200/390 Dukes , i think ) are assembled in India. And yes , these too are overpriced .I dont suppose its the same factory that used to build the Hondas ( Hero ). I, ve heard they have split from Honda , and are bringing out some cracking bikes next year. In your alternative reality , am i still a "Hansum man".cheesy.gif . ll2 , If Sumet Cycles are good this will help other choose wisely.