I Get It - Mostly

seedy

99% of the time, when I'm riding, I keep my cool even when cut off by some other idiots in a cage. I almost always say thank you to the driver that pulls over for me when I'm splitting traffic and I even apologise if I clip a car's side mirror by accident.

However, there are also times when I would actually get close enough to a car or pick up and give their side mirror a good whack (just did it last night in fact).

Same here on the forum. Most of the time, most of the posters are just giving their opinion and most would enjoy a good debate. The line gets crossed when there is a perceived "attack" or "insult" an a particular poster or group of posters.

I tend to give the benefit of the doubt as much as possible. Occasionally, I will go on the attach, like I did with a former poster (andrex2 - btw, anyone heard from him recently?).

I think Daveboo got it spot on when he tactfully brought up the issue of nationality. Latin blooded people and Northern Europeans will react differently. Coupled with differing levels of mastery of English nuances and innuendos, TV forum can be really explosive at times.

So maybe i was just the 1% of youre not likes so you and another who protesth to muchith did a pretty good hatchet job on my now closed post just because you couldnt see the point off it.thanks you.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I think it comes down to the personality of the poster. Some guys like DaveBoo I can have a long drawn out argument with and I feel no hard feelings on either side, just enjoy the debate taking the p1ss, a bit of winding up on both sides, shooting the sh1t - call it what you want depending on where you're from.

Other posters take things much more seriously and a couple of light hearted comments they take to heart and they either start stalking you or ignore you forever. Much like some ex girlfriends smile.png

I've actually had to change cities over ex-girlfriends (don't ask because other than saying the crazy ones are often the most fun...for a while...I have nothing else to say).

And I'll only argue the point if you're wrong and I believe there's a chance I can make you understand.

Haha. I'll have some smokes, a few whisky sodas (had a ride already today) and will have some nookie tonight and wait till tomorrow. In the meantime, Johnny might have shared his reasons for his rather forceful view... smile.png

Two "rides" in a day!?!?

What a stud.

clap2.gif

• Like 1

99% of the time, when I'm riding, I keep my cool even when cut off by some other idiots in a cage. I almost always say thank you to the driver that pulls over for me when I'm splitting traffic and I even apologise if I clip a car's side mirror by accident.

However, there are also times when I would actually get close enough to a car or pick up and give their side mirror a good whack (just did it last night in fact).

Same here on the forum. Most of the time, most of the posters are just giving their opinion and most would enjoy a good debate. The line gets crossed when there is a perceived "attack" or "insult" an a particular poster or group of posters.

I tend to give the benefit of the doubt as much as possible. Occasionally, I will go on the attach, like I did with a former poster (andrex2 - btw, anyone heard from him recently?).

I think Daveboo got it spot on when he tactfully brought up the issue of nationality. Latin blooded people and Northern Europeans will react differently. Coupled with differing levels of mastery of English nuances and innuendos, TV forum can be really explosive at times.

So maybe i was just the 1% of youre not likes so you and another who protesth to muchith did a pretty good hatchet job on my now closed post just because you couldnt see the point off it.thanks you.

No offence meant mate. I didn't get why the mods closed the other thread - personally, I thought it had legs and could go on for a few more pages. If you would be so kind as to re-read my last post on it, it was far from being contentious and actually opened up the thread to different points of views. I always enjoy threads that debated about the pros and cons of ATGATT. I am ATGATT on long rides but minimal gear on riding around Bkk.

As to the other who doeth protesth too much, once you get to know him, you will realise that his primary concern is that all riders enjoy what they do and that no one gets hurt in doing so. That's all that is important for me.

I think it comes down to the personality of the poster. Some guys like DaveBoo I can have a long drawn out argument with and I feel no hard feelings on either side, just enjoy the debate taking the p1ss, a bit of winding up on both sides, shooting the sh1t - call it what you want depending on where you're from.

Other posters take things much more seriously and a couple of light hearted comments they take to heart and they either start stalking you or ignore you forever. Much like some ex girlfriends smile.png

+1

Good post, like most of your others.

However, your earlier post (regarding fanboys and ATGATT riders) was out of character or so I thought and I had considered posting a rebuttal but refrained from doing so.

Fair enough, I don't think it was out of character though. I've been pretty consistent in that I think people should be able to ride whatever bike they want, wearing what they want as long as they are not endangering anyone except themselves.

In my experience on TV the stronger people feel about "their" brand, or their personal opinion about what constitutes adequate protection, the more offended they seem to become by alternative opinions. Hence my post in response to the OP re. the causes of conflict on the board. In my opinion, my comment was a fair comment smile.png

I agree that some posters put forward their opinions very forcefully, especially when it comes to safety gear. Personally, I am not ATGATT but I really do appreciate reading what other more experienced riders have to say about gear. I think for myself, I decide for myself how much gear I need to be wearing for the kind of riding that I'm doing.

I recently bought a highly recommended leather jacket, with good perforation for riding in Thailand's hot climate. To date, it's still hanging in my wardrobe and will be for my next two rides to Isaan and south of Thailand (due to comfort reasons). However, I plan to use it on my third ride to the north, early in the New Year. It's all about our own personal risk management. I absolutely have no issue with some posters recommending ATGATT but I definitely have issues with posters who feel that it's acceptable to ride without helmets for anything more than a jaunt to the local 7-11 a hundred metres down the road.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I've actually had to change cities over ex-girlfriends (don't ask because other than saying the crazy ones are often the most fun...for a while...I have nothing else to say).

And I'll only argue the point if you're wrong and I believe there's a chance I can make you understand.

Haha. I'll have some smokes, a few whisky sodas (had a ride already today) and will have some nookie tonight and wait till tomorrow. In the meantime, Johnny might have shared his reasons for his rather forceful view... smile.png

Two "rides" in a day!?!?

What a stud.

clap2.gif

"Two "rides" in a day!?!?"

With one, I just need to twist my right wrist, with the other, I just need to lie back :D

Here we go again. *sighs*

Really?"sighs"? i made an inquirey on something of interest to myself and a freind about a bike relates interest and because no one could give any more infro about it i was verbalised and had the shit kicked outta mee because it was boring.why not just simpley not reply That is what being respectcle is about.Out of repsect to you im not giong to tell you that youre a moron.End of.

Really?"sighs"? i made an inquirey on something of interest to myself and a freind about a bike relates interest and because no one could give any more infro about it i was verbalised and had the shit kicked outta mee because it was boring.why not just simpley not reply That is what being respectcle is about.Out of repsect to you im not giong to tell you that youre a moron.End of.

My *sigh* wasn't directed at you personally, but at where I see this thread going. Also if you are referring to the thread you opened that was then closed, then you will see I was one of the first to answer with an honest opinion regarding the topic, you even 'liked' my response!!!!

Tell you what. Let's continue that thread here then. You would like to know what percentage of riders worldwide wears a ff helmet. I do not have the slightest inkling. But what I believe is that in Thailand, of those people that wear helmets, about 10%. In Europe (including UK), I would hazard a guess of about 80%. In the US, about 50%. In India, about 1%.

Part of the reason is climactic. For 5 months out of the year, you couldn't possible ride WITHOUT a ff helmet in Europe. It would be just too cold / uncomfortable. Possibly in Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Turkey, parts of Croatia, Romania, Bulgaria, Slovenia etc, you might have 8 months on weather where it might be more pleasant to ride with an open face as opposed to a full face. In Scandinavia on the other hand, there would probably be only 3-4 months where an open face helmet is tolerable.

In Thailand and most of Asia, I would hazard that you could wear an open faced helmet 12 months out of the year. However, some riders (such as myself) prefer to wear a ff or modular when racing / touring and an open face when commuting.

Now, with all of the above, what conclusions and interesting tidbits can you draw from these stats?

Thanks to all for your points of view.

Good debate - I am all for it. Check out my latest post in Farang Pub, if I get the Nod from the Mod.

To quote (or misquote) Rex Harrison ...

"By rights he should be taken out and hung -

For the cold-blooded murder of the English tongue !"

My *sigh* wasn't directed at you personally, but at where I see this thread going. Also if you are referring to the thread you opened that was then closed, then you will see I was one of the first to answer with an honest opinion regarding the topic, you even 'liked' my response!!!!

My most humble appologys to you macknifei got it wrong sorry i jumped the gun on you partylly because i am just so pissed about thye way my simple inquest was attacked and treated by a couple of smartrarses here.But i agree with you as i now see it as youre saying and its so noticeable that the people who werent even name and shamed in OP all came out defending thereselves so strongly as being the good guys. Again sorry to you.

My most humble appologys to you macknifei got it wrong sorry i jumped the gun on you partylly because i am just so pissed about thye way my simple inquest was attacked and treated by a couple of smartrarses here.But i agree with you as i now see it as youre saying and its so noticeable that the people who werent even name and shamed in OP all came out defending thereselves so strongly as being the good guys. Again sorry to you.

if you want to learn the percentage of the riders who are not using full face helmet, you can always google it. Do you expect us go to a library and do a research? dont expect too much from a forum.

anyway, i googled it for you and found no data or statistics on the usage of different types of helmets. of course most probably no one keeps such data or no one did such a research as it does not prove anything or such data will not save lives or will not be beneficial to human being. If a research is done/will be done on this, it will be just out of curiosity.

as researchers are focusing and spending their time on keeping data and statistics or doing researches directly related on how to save more lives.

but hey, you can do such a research starting from Thailand. Check the sales number of helmet manufacturers, local makers and distributors/dealers of imported helmets - by contacting with the, phone, email, a visit to their factory etc - and this way you might have an idea.

LLogic:

"i googled it... and found no data or statistics on the usage of different types of helmets. ... no one keeps such data ...."

"if you want to learn the percentage of the riders who are not using full face helmet, you can always google it. "

clap2.gif
Edited by papa al

LLogic:

"i googled it... and found no data or statistics on the usage of different types of helmets. ... no one keeps such data ...."

"if you want to learn the percentage of the riders who are not using full face helmet, you can always google it. "

clap2.gif

This is the third thread where the question has been asked and the second thread was closed down which would beg the question as to whether the supposition that forum members should be doing leg work for such a banality is required. While usually I admire tenacity, the demonstrated paucity of reading cognisance is extremely frustrating. The first time the question was asked, I gave the questionee a way to roughly determine it; use google images and tally it up. Obviously that was too much work to sate his curiosity, so this annoying question, that I believe has an ulterior motive, continues to plague this forum. Highly annoying.

• Like 2

LLogic:

clap2.gif

papa al, this reply shows clearly the fact that yoj dont have any logic!

or you cannot understand English. i was not expecting this from a glorious native english speaker:)

or are you getting very very old?

LLogic:

clap2.gif

papa al, this reply shows clearly the fact that yoj dont have any logic!

or you cannot understand English. i was not expecting this from a glorious native english speaker:)

or are you getting very very old?

clearly

clap2.gif

LLogic:

clap2.gif

This is the third thread where the question has been asked and the second thread was closed down which would beg the question as to whether the supposition that forum members should be doing leg work for such a banality is required. While usually I admire tenacity, the demonstrated paucity of reading cognisance is extremely frustrating. The first time the question was asked, I gave the questionee a way to roughly determine it; use google images and tally it up. Obviously that was too much work to sate his curiosity, so this annoying question, that I believe has an ulterior motive, continues to plague this forum. Highly annoying.

Annoying as you say?

Maybe , but you guys really smacked this poster around the ears from the start.

He may be a little naive or even without wanting to sound nasty , a little eccentric.

I don't know if either is correct, but you and a couple of other long timers on here showed a total lack of compassion and tolerance.

&lt;deleted&gt; if it's not your interest, just ignore instead of playing nasty bastards to him.

Its all about bikes and biking, it's all different interests as this thread spoke of.

I don't spend a lot of time on forums TBH but honestly i have never seen such a disgusting display anywhere else.

I am coming over to northern Thailand February March and was going to contact some of you guys about riding there.

Really though,i'm sorry to say that i really would now have to think twice about that considering the way you have treated another biker on here.

I'm used to associating/riding with nicer people and a few of you appear to be far from that criteria.

I may be wrong ,and hope i am but shit, it sure looks that way from here.

We all have enough crap to deal with from multitudes of non-riders without adding to it by attacking another rider.

ll2's lack of route planning ability

I feel I must take exception to this libelous allegation regarding LL's lack of route planning ability.

I've ridden with him many a time and received a useful "I think it's this way" upon arriving in the middle of nowhere.

• Like 2

I think a lot of the aggro' on this forum is just a wind up, but then a few "non-Italians" take it to heart and it turns nasty-ish. There are a few gangs on here as well, which as Dave_Boo pointed out is a little unfair, but we are all big boys here and if your argument is strong, they soon run away. Or I just leave them too it and move on.

I think this is why people argue with venom on the forum and are best mates in real life, because even best mates have a different viewpoint and argue in the pub, I know we do. When I am out riding, I am too busy preserving my life to worry about whether a Ninja 250 is better than a CBR. They all look the same (Jap sports bikes that is) anyway to who cares.

This is one of the best forums I have found and a lot less aggressive than most and if there are serious problems between members, I haven't noticed it. What is best about this forum is that there is plenty going on and it is varied, I would hate to see it broken up into sectors, like small bikes, sports bikes and cruisers, we are all bikers and as such we all have a common passion. And if the price to pay is a little bickering, so be it.......Actually I like it.

Edited by AllanB
  • Like 1

ll2's lack of route planning ability

I feel I must take exception to this libelous allegation regarding LL's lack of route planning ability.

I've ridden with him many a time and received a useful "I think it's this way" upon arriving in the middle of nowhere.

HAHAHAHAHA - this must be the BEST post I have seen on ALL of TV - EVER!!!!