Micropayments on .co.th website - domestic and international

Na Fan

Hi all

What kind of options are there - tried and trusted ? Any experiences with any of them ?

I'm looking for a type of micro-payment for a website - be it by any of:

- by SMS

People send or receive an SMS that costs a fixed amount.

- by call

People call a number for a certain duration i.e. 1 minute = 50 baht

- by ATM

People can send small amounts directly with any ATM.

- by CC

Likely fees are the issue here, from my research this likely isn't worthwhile, especially internationally.

Key points I'm focused on are ease of use for the user, stable interface (it's not down as much as some major Thai bank's internet banking, for example), easy collection of funds, not exorbitantly high commissions.

Any known examples of live websites that use these successfully ? Are you using them ? Do you trust them ( I know that's a long shot in Thailand ).

Na Fan

Does it need to be a website?

If you can make an app both google and apple have them built in.

Users can either pay by credit card or depending on phone provider can go on phone bill, not sure if that phone option is readily available or just to huge google sized corporations.

Other local choice is counerpay, pay in every 711. But fees might eat up small amounts.

Exact size of payments will help advise.

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah the fact that it's a website is a given.

Payments will range from 30 THB to approx 500 THB.

From what I've seen on other Thai websites that offer alternative options, is that CC and Paypal etc (the bigger international players) charge ridiculous fees - a 500 Baht order costs 300 Baht in fees. So that's kind of a mute point. Hence I'm looking at other options.

Counterpay sounds interesting - have you worked with that before ? What I could find was https://www.7-eleven.com/Financial/Payment-Services/ but information is scarce.

What we used to have in Switzerland for instance is that you could send an SMS to a specfic number with a specific text, and you'd "pay" a fixed fee for that SMS. But I couldn't find a provider for that here.