Police: 7,000 law-breaking motorcyclists arrested over past month

Lite Beer

Police: 7,000 law-breaking motorcyclists arrested over past month

BANGKOK, 14 Dec 2014 (NNT) – Metropolitan police announced their achievement in the attempt to reduce traffic dangers faced by pedestrians with the arrests of more than 7,000 law-breaking motorcyclists over the past month.

The arrest is part of the campaign aimed at clearing pedestrian areas of unruly motorcycle riders. According to police, the number of motorcyclists penalized for having ridden on pavement was recorded at 7,780 as of December 11.

The number of those caught for violating traffic rules has fallen by 60 percent since the campaign started on November 19. Authorities reportedly nab about 300 motorcyclists on weekdays and 200 on weekends. The traffic police 1197 hotline has also seen a decline in complaints about motorbike riders speeding on footpaths.

Police said they would continue with the campaign following reports that pedestrians now felt safer and that damage to footpaths and other public property was on the decline.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-12-14 footer_n.gif

I would love to know what infractions they are getting nabbed for. I assume it is only things that can be caught by a cop at a roadblock or at a corner of an intersection. All the dangerous stuff is consequence free, unless there's a crash.

Edited by canuckamuck

I would love to know what infractions they are getting nabbed for. I assume it is only things that can be caught by a cop at a roadblock or at a corner of an intersection. All the dangerous stuff is consequence free, unless there's a crash.

"I assume it is only things that..."

Just replace "assume" with "speculate" to get your justification for police bashing.

I can only assume that riding down the wrong side of the road with a small child holding a baby, while talking into a telephone,is not against the law.

Why?

That person must have been incredibly strange, he would have needed at least one arm to drive the bike, another to hold the small child, another to hold the baby and another to hold the telephone, that's 4 arms. Are you sure he wasn't picking his nose and texting on his 2nd phone with his other 2 arms also?

But maybe if you weren't making this up that imaginary person multi-limbed motorcyclist was stopped and fined out of your sight?

Edited by Sviss Geez

80% of the fatalities on the roadways of the Kingdom are operators and/or passengers of motorbikes. In order to reduce the amount of killed, maimed or injured this Crackdown should be on going 24/7 throughout the entire Kingdom. I can't count the amount of times that I have witnessed and had to move quickly and give the right of way to motorbike taxi operators or civilians young and old driving on the sidewalks around Asoke, Silom and elsewhere. There has to be a fundamental beginning somehow/somewhere to reduce the amount of accidents, fatalities and injuries. Enforcing the Law is the first step. Again, the Police are doing their job, and I applaud their effort. Period, end of story. thumbsup.gif

I live in Asoke. Walk around a lot, ride a bike too. Yet to see/cause/experience any deaths or injuries due to bikes on sidewalks. Could be because I hardly see any bikes speeding on the sidewalks.

The fatalities you mention are due to the riders riding without any protective gear (including helmets), riding recklessly, lack of common sense, lack of road sense etc etc - not due to speeding on sidewalks.

• Like 2

Arrests or fines? Big difference.

If you read the post, it clearly states:

The arrest is part of the campaign aimed at clearing pedestrian areas of unruly motorcycle riders. According to police, the number of motorcyclists penalized for having ridden on pavement was recorded at 7,780 as of December 11.

Further reading of the post shows that by "pavement" they mean sidewalks and foot paths.

I don't think this can be done with road blocks...maybe with path blocks?

Old joke:

If you can ride a motorcycle on the sidewalk and walk in the street, you must be in Thailand!

Some of these statistics are like a drunk guy exaggerating like saying oh so many was thousands.

Lets pick a number ..7 sounds good ...7000...done.

I remain amazed as it is amazing Thailand.

Where I live there is a market with a police booth opposite.

Sometimes there are 5 or 6 cops there but drivers park two deep in front of the manned police booth and opposite it so a bus cannot get down the road.

The cops do nothing about it until the Bus driver starts making a scene by blowing his bus horn.

Truly amazing.

Do you think they may start noticing people driving on the wrong side of the road, parking in the middle of the road, passing in an unsafe mano.r or speeding in a school zone when children are present next?

It's a start!

I've not heard of any pedestrians being injured by a speeding motorcyclist on the sidewalk.

On the other hand, I've heard of fatalities caused by speeding and reckless motorists, van drivers etc etc.

Anyone else think that the traffic police have their priorities wrong?

No they don't.

If you look at the road death stats you will see that consistently over 70% involve motorbikes.

If you bothered to read more than the headline you would see :