Police: 7,000 law-breaking motorcyclists arrested over past month

Lite Beer

Well that should have kept at least 14,000 BIB occupied for quite some time as it seems they run in pairs to apprehend those little devils on wheels.

Wonder how many they blew of the bikes with their big caliber weapons, and how many bystanders were injured? The RTP motorcycle and foot patrols seem to be getting kind of wild and mean tempered when enforcing what are traffic laws. Too bad the don't come down as hard on the national roadways where the real carnage takes place. But it is one small opening for the pedistrain, now what about crossing the street.????

• Like 1

They have been clamping motorcycles parked on the pavement. I got clamped outside MBK. Cost 300 baht to get it removed. I know carry a hammer on the bike.

A clamped motorcycle sure is an awful danger to other road users, sounds more like a money making venture to me .coffee1.gif

• Like 1

For arrested we probably should read fined. But what after this next crackdown ends? Same old story again?

For "arrested" we should read "arrested" as it simply means stopped, then they would be fined.

No it doesnt - arrested means charged formally with an offence and cautioned about the actual law which has been broken NOT stealing tea money and pocketing it!

• Like 1

I would love to know what infractions they are getting nabbed for. I assume it is only things that can be caught by a cop at a roadblock or at a corner of an intersection. All the dangerous stuff is consequence free, unless there's a crash.

"I assume it is only things that..."

Just replace "assume" with "speculate" to get your justification for police bashing.

Father in law a policeman is he?

I've not heard of any pedestrians being injured by a speeding motorcyclist on the sidewalk.

On the other hand, I've heard of fatalities caused by speeding and reckless motorists, van drivers etc etc.

Anyone else think that the traffic police have their priorities wrong?

I haven't seen any injuries on the pavements, but I've an serious injury on the walkway alongside a canal, where an elderly chap was knocked over by a pizza delivery guy who didn't stop.

Whilst the police should indeed target dangerous driving on the roads, including failing to stop at pedestrian crossings and red lights, they should also target those selfish bike riders who ride on the pavements.

Ban pizzas then !

A month of things getting better, a month of people getting slapped so they will think again and a month of cops getting used to coming down on biker violations .... seems like a good thing.

If they cant find motorbikes on their pavements they can always blame some Burmese migrants and plant their DNA on the pavement.....seems like a good thing!! As long as the Police get to pocket the fines!!!!!!!

I've not heard of any pedestrians being injured by a speeding motorcyclist on the sidewalk.

On the other hand, I've heard of fatalities caused by speeding and reckless motorists, van drivers etc etc.

No they don't.

If you look at the road death stats you will see that consistently over 70% involve motorbikes.

Please provide a link for your source! Also i wonder even if 70% IS the official number - how many are motorcyclists hit by idiot car drivers who've never taken a test!!

Edited by love1012
  • Like 1

Arrests or fines? Big difference.

In these circumstances it's one and the same, stopped and then fined, no big difference.

Rubbish read your ENGLISH dictionary - theres a big difference!!

While the word detained might be a better word to use, in Thai the word arrest translates into meaning the same thing as well as actually being arrested. Bottom line is your making a big deal out of nothing and the word arrest is often used to describe detaining people. By the way, arrest also can simply mean to stop the progress of something or someone.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/arrest

I would love to know what infractions they are getting nabbed for. I assume it is only things that can be caught by a cop at a roadblock or at a corner of an intersection. All the dangerous stuff is consequence free, unless there's a crash.

Not true the cops ride their bikes on the paths as well and when they can't get around someone they fine them. Seen this on third road Pattaya wai.gif

True - I mean, the police could make a killing if it actually enforced traffic laws. But I'm dumbfounded as to why the police only spring into action for the occasional "crackdown" and then go back to doing (nothing) afterwards. You would think that with all the drivers breaking the law that someone from the police force would say something like: "hey if we were to enforce traffic laws everyday, we could actually bring in like 500 Baht per driver x 1000 = 500,000 Baht per day!" Or they could impound bikes and charge the owners to get them back. But obviously no one has been clever enough to suggest such "new age" ideas!

• Like 2

There have been reports that pedestrian ways are now safer.

if you would listened you morons what most of us have been trying to tell you for years, the ways would have been safe years ago. Does it only take a general with a gun to get your butts in gear? Grrrrrr...

True - I mean, the police could make a killing if it actually enforced traffic laws. But I'm dumbfounded as to why the police only spring into action for the occasional "crackdown" and then go back to doing (nothing) afterwards. You would think that with all the drivers breaking the law that someone from the police force would say something like: "hey if we were to enforce traffic laws everyday, we could actually bring in like 500 Baht per driver x 1000 = 500,000 Baht per day!" Or they could impound bikes and charge the owners to get them back. But obviously no one has been clever enough to suggest such "new age" ideas!

During rush hours, every time the light changes at the Sukhumvit / Asoke intersection, there must be at least 10 vehicles stationary in the junction box. A traffic camera there that records the registration number of every vehicle caught in the junction box would have it's cost covered in, what, 2 days?

This would be great revenue to the govt as well as making traffic flow better, bringing REAL happiness to the people (except for those idiots who don't understand driving etiquette of course).

But like you said, there's no one clever enough in the relevant authorities to come up with such new age ideas.

• Like 1

80% of the fatalities on the roadways of the Kingdom are operators and/or passengers of motorbikes. In order to reduce the amount of killed, maimed or injured this Crackdown should be on going 24/7 throughout the entire Kingdom. I can't count the amount of times that I have witnessed and had to move quickly and give the right of way to motorbike taxi operators or civilians young and old driving on the sidewalks around Asoke, Silom and elsewhere. There has to be a fundamental beginning somehow/somewhere to reduce the amount of accidents, fatalities and injuries. Enforcing the Law is the first step. Again, the Police are doing their job, and I applaud their effort. Period, end of story. thumbsup.gif

I live in Asoke. Walk around a lot, ride a bike too. Yet to see/cause/experience any deaths or injuries due to bikes on sidewalks. Could be because I hardly see any bikes speeding on the sidewalks.

The fatalities you mention are due to the riders riding without any protective gear (including helmets), riding recklessly, lack of common sense, lack of road sense etc etc - not due to speeding on sidewalks.

Read my Post again. Did I mention anywhere about "see/cause/experience" any deaths or injuries due to bikes on sidewalks? No. The point I was making is that so many people do such stupid things while driving here, it goes totally against safety. If you read my Post again, I never mentioned deaths due to speeding on sidewalks. The point I was making is that sidewalks are for pedestrians and not motorbikes. Perhaps, you just happen to think it's OK to ride motorbikes on sidewalks, and You actually do that. I don't. I can expand on this with, me opposing 10 year old's driving motorbikes, or 5 children riding on motorbikes like a carnival act. Or the best one: No helmet, No shirt, shorts and flip flops, then wreck = 1 pile of chopped meat. I not quite sure why you are challenging my Post applauding the police crackdown on stupid drivers? Hmmmmm?

Arrest or fine, they are trying to do some good in this traffic chaos and disregard of any laws.

So, stop complaining and congratulate them for their efforts.

The longer they last the better for everybody driving on these roads of Thailand.

God, have mercy on these awkward posters..................

Vote for Costasthumbsup.gif

Sorry Costas can't vote for you yet, the elections are a couple of years off tongue.png

80% of the fatalities on the roadways of the Kingdom are operators and/or passengers of motorbikes. In order to reduce the amount of killed, maimed or injured this Crackdown should be on going 24/7 throughout the entire Kingdom. I can't count the amount of times that I have witnessed and had to move quickly and give the right of way to motorbike taxi operators or civilians young and old driving on the sidewalks around Asoke, Silom and elsewhere. There has to be a fundamental beginning somehow/somewhere to reduce the amount of accidents, fatalities and injuries. Enforcing the Law is the first step. Again, the Police are doing their job, and I applaud their effort. Period, end of story. thumbsup.gif

I live in Asoke. Walk around a lot, ride a bike too. Yet to see/cause/experience any deaths or injuries due to bikes on sidewalks. Could be because I hardly see any bikes speeding on the sidewalks.

The fatalities you mention are due to the riders riding without any protective gear (including helmets), riding recklessly, lack of common sense, lack of road sense etc etc - not due to speeding on sidewalks.

Read my Post again. Did I mention anywhere about "see/cause/experience" any deaths or injuries due to bikes on sidewalks? No. The point I was making is that so many people do such stupid things while driving here, it goes totally against safety. If you read my Post again, I never mentioned deaths due to speeding on sidewalks. The point I was making is that sidewalks are for pedestrians and not motorbikes. Perhaps, you just happen to think it's OK to ride motorbikes on sidewalks, and You actually do that. I don't. I can expand on this with, me opposing 10 year old's driving motorbikes, or 5 children riding on motorbikes like a carnival act. Or the best one: No helmet, No shirt, shorts and flip flops, then wreck = 1 pile of chopped meat. I not quite sure why you are challenging my Post applauding the police crackdown on stupid drivers? Hmmmmm?

You started off by giving a statistic about fatalities being primarily operators and/or passengers of motorbikes. You opined that continuing and extending this crackdown (clearing pedestrian areas of unruly motorcycle riders) nationwide will reduce the number of fatalities (read your own post if you disagree with my interpretation).

You go on to imply (in the same paragraph) that this same unruly behaviour by some motorcycle riders could well have caused you injurires many a time, if not for your quick reflexes in getting out of the way of these unruly motorcycle riders.

My point is that unruly motorcycling on sidewalks are in reality, a relatively infrequent occurrence. I back that up by stating where I live and therefore by default, where I walk. I also declared that I own a motorcycle and in the context of my post, state that I do not ride on the sidewalks.

I argued that this crackdown, on motorbike riders speeding on footpaths (which is what this thread is about) will not do anything to reduce the fatalities on the roadways of the Kingdom. In an earlier post on this thread, I suggested that the traffic police should be cracking down on other law breaking activities.

• 1 month later...

Personally, I wish they would focus more on auto and truck violations. With regard to motorcycle violations, usually, the only one to be injured is the one operating the motorcycle. The way I see it, if they want to kill themselves, its just fine with me since there will then be fewer motorcycles to deal with.