is there such a thing as friends in pattaya?

Rangsitreppin

I spent alot of time by myself in pattaya and recently an really great ozzie bloke who was on his yearly two week millionaire trip handed me 400 baht and sayed lets go get pissed in soi 7.

I handed it back and sayed ill pay for me and you pay for you then we got hammered.

would taking that 400 baht make me like a prostitute friend ??

I'm starting to think the same thing.

I have met people at one of the expat clubs who have been close mutually dependent friends for over 20 years. Through thick and thin.

I've been in town over 10 years although I have been ripped off financially for small amounts by people I was close with.

I recently had a close friend throw me under the bus by revealing some very confidential details about me to a lady I was courting. Women come and go here but from seeing their chat transcript (thanks to her), it was apparent he was making a move for her.

There are many musicians in Pattaya who work together on a very regular basis. One was recently hospitalized and the others who play with the sick player all rallied behind him with frequent visits and whatever help he needed.

I'm at a frustrated point now of feeling somewhat abandoned by people I thought were friends. Maybe best to just keep to myself and everyone as acquaintances.

• Like 1

Being a crazy and diversified place Pattaya is, I think it is easy to make "acquaintances".

Whether those acquaintances become real friends I trust, only time will tell. I wouldn't

trust or do business with an acquaintances just like I wouldn't with a stranger. Once I

have know somebody for some time, may be many years, only than can I say if that

person has become a real friend or is still just an acquaintance.

I don't think it is to different in other countries/places, except perhaps the time period

when an acquaintance is considered a friend.

luudee

Edited by luudee

Not restricted to Pattaya, but to the whole of Thailand as a whole.

My attitude, everyone is out to rip me off until proven otherwise.

I have ONE real friend in Thailand, a German who lives upcountry with his own business, we have known each other for over 10 years, think the same way.

Have been offered all sorts here, even been offered deals in a hotel in Pattaya that no longer exists.

I have, drinking buddies, fellow golfers, fellow snooker players, wouldnt trust any of them as far as I could throw them, mainly chancers and spivs.

• Like 2

The secret is to be at ease with yourself. I live alone but don't feel lonely - there are lots of things to do.

I suppose it's what you define as friends. I have a number of 'mates' I meet at the golf course in the week but their evening social life patterns are not mine - if you follow.

I do know that if I was living in a flat in the UK during the miserable winters I would go gaga. whereas here, nice walks by the lake in the sunshine and reading a good book on the veranda - great.

Will 400 baht get you a good time on soi 7?

No but during happy hour which is all hours you can drink 8 sam miguel lights for 400 baht if you look hard enough and im that confident after 8 im speaking thai and the staff are getting a laugh usually ill get a freebie .....i got them looks nah mean;-)

Edited by Rangsitreppin

Not all that unreasonable. You feel like a beer and a chat and you have enough in your pocket to have one. You consider it a bit rude to ask someone who you are talking to to go somewhere and spend money which he may not have in his pocket, who cares whether he has. If he wants to go and spend his own money he can or you have shown upfront you do not expect him to get into that horrible Australian invention the shout where you have to pay money you would not have to buy drinks for someone drinking twice as fast as you want to.

Without knowing the circumstances it is hard to know whether this is something you should take up or not.

Some of the expats in my village are pretty close friends I think and I have been partying with them a few times but find it uncomfortable they live so close by so I started to keep my distance and only have a friendly chat with them when we meet out on the soi and don't join their parties anymore.

The best buddies I have in funtown are work mates from our company in Singapore, we work off-shore all over the world and meet up for lunch and sometimes a barbie at my house or theirs when we are home on leave at the same time.

With a wife a young son this is plenty for me.

Yes lots of shabby expats here so be carefull before you even think about inviting them to your home and I learned over the years not to trust anybody you just meet no matter how nice they seems.

i think the older you get, the harder it is to make real friends. All the close friends I had were made when I was in my 30's, now at 72 I don't expect to be making any more.

Don't give up mon ami, they are out there, for sure, difficult "I know", but they are out there .............thumbsup.gif

You gotta go out and mingle.

Sitting at home watching TV, won't find you any friends.

• Like 1

i think the older you get, the harder it is to make real friends. All the close friends I had were made when I was in my 30's, now at 72 I don't expect to be making any more.

Don't give up mon ami, they are out there, for sure, difficult "I know", but they are out there .............thumbsup.gif

You gotta go out and mingle.

Sitting at home watching TV, won't find you any friends.

Yeah, ring the bell every night, you'll have more friends than you can handle. To be quite honest I can't be stuffed now, as long as I have my good lady, my dog and a good book to read, I'm content.

• Like 2

All my "real" friends live in Bangkok, guys I've known for almost 10 years and they're still there. Why? Because they live and work in Thailand, have pretty much normal lives. While we argue (politely) and disagree on some things, they're solid friends and we do many things together, including travel. We also care about each other and help out in anyway. But I don't like to live in BKK so I live in the Pattaya area. In terms of friends, Pattaya has been a complete blank in 4-5 years of living here. I don't trust anyone -- for the reasons listed by a poster above that Pattaya draws pretty much people with a single agenda. It's an agenda I do not share.