Dismantling disputed Aetus hotel in Bangkok will take three years

webfact

Love these armchair Experts who seem to have solutions for everything... Ha ha.

Not to mention those armchair experts are quick to fall in love with a bar girl, marry, and lose their entire life savings in a blink of an eye. =)

• Like 1

This hotel is another example of influential persons thinking they are above the law. Just because you pay off a lower city official does not give you the right to go against the law. The law clearly states that the height of the build being constructed is relative to the width of the street and the distance of the building from the street.

A lower city official? blink.png

"...the court found both the Bangkok governor and Pathumwan district office guilty of negligence of duty for granting a permit"

whistling.gif

Throw everyone who signed off this project in jail.

• Like 1

8 floors=3 years

Not so if you bring over experts from Australia.

I can arrange that.

Reducing from 24 floors to 8 (removing 16 floors). Is the remaining building going to be worth the cost of the dismantlement? What happens if the owners just decide to abandon the hotel to cut their losses? Can the owners sue the BMA for negligence?

Just offer the 16 floors to the the Thais who come around collecting the cardboard and scrap metal. I bet they would take care of it.....and give you 500 baht for it........smile.png !!!

8 floors=3 years

I can arrange that.

The British know how to get it done also. The top down approach.

you still don't get it do you----- its not a complete demolition--- they only want the top half demolished----- why cant they get permission to widen the road-( ITS LESS THAN ONE METRE !!!!)---- with a few more brown envelopes---- and the money can come from the top people that signed the building consent and received money to allow it to happen---- simple really and no cost to BKK residents------come on you guys ,start thinking with youre heads---- the one on youre shoulders not the one in youre pants

• Like 2

What if you own a condo in this situation ?

My thoughts exactly.....I understand that the builders broke a law but also a government official signed off on it, bribed or not. I would bet that those floors being removed are people's homes, their investment who are getting screwed on this. Bet the government or builders are not giving reimbursements. Talk about waste over what..........half a meter on a street width!!!??? Common sense has gone down the tubes on this. I'm with the guy who said........widen the street. It would be cheaper and more cost effective if it such a big fricking deal. Just one block would do it.

• Like 1

Pay the neighbours off to widen the road.

Cheaper Charlie option no 1.

They might as well be bribed as everyone else has.

Except me...I am open to bribes.

Show me the money.

You pay my bar fine??? 555555

You might want to check who the neighbors where that filed the complaint petition in the first place. Indictments for Lese Majeste have been rapant lately, and thats exactly what will happen to anybody that bitches to hard about this case.

"The most suitable method for deconstruction will be labour and machinery"

Wow, it must have taken a long time to study the options and draw that conclusion. I believe a few of the other options were missiles, plastic explosives and a herd of elephants with chains. biggrin.png

• Like 1

8 floors=3 years

I can arrange that.

Reducing from 24 floors to 8 (removing 16 floors). Is the remaining building going to be worth the cost of the dismantlement? What happens if the owners just decide to abandon the hotel to cut their losses? Can the owners sue the BMA for negligence?

Corruption was probably involved.

Take some excess kerbing from Pattaya....say the steps to the Billabong and lay next to road so as to widen road like lazy mommas ass.

Charge City for new drainage.

Charge Billabong for building alteration.

Charge building owner for new road.

Charge all the neighbours for new easement even the ones on the other side of the road.

Charge road users a road toll.

Pathetic.we are talking about less than a meter here. There are buildings right next to it much higher. Just the Thai not being able to think out of the box. The reason they say is fire engine cannot get in soi. I assume the other buildings have the entrance from wireless road. Why not make a deal to open a road through. Surely it would be a lot cheaper. And more convenient for the people in soi. The building laws have regulations, but they also allow the district office to be a little flexible and trust them make decisions about small exceptions. Building law is not fixed as different situations require different choices.they really need to think out of the box again. Find a way my dad always used to say.

At this stage, the width of the road is immaterial.

The respected elderly residents on this road do not want their soi to be clogged up by more residential traffic ... they also get very important visitors to their houses.

They didn't mind the other buildings going up. And because of those buildings their property value has skyrocketed.

More likely a couple of smaller hotels in competition complaining. Doubt the old people give a rats arse

This hotel is another example of influential persons thinking they are above the law. Just because you pay off a lower city official does not give you the right to go against the law. The law clearly states that the height of the build being constructed is relative to the width of the street and the distance of the building from the street.

Whilst I don't disagree with you, this influential person used his influence (read money) to get a Government Official to sign off on the plans, and in doing so, that the road was wide enough for the 24 floor building. It's how the game is played in Thailand.

Surely, that signatory should be held accountable. It was ultimately his signature that allowed this hotel to be built. He must pay for knowingly signing an illegal document.

A clear message needs to be sent to these bent Government Officials - that if they do not do their job properly, or knowingly sign something incorrectly, that there are consequences.

Otherwise it will never stop.

Nah!!!! He will be transferred at full pay to an inactive position to protect those above him who took most of the lolly.

• Like 1

"At present there are 2,000 unfinished, deserted buildings and houses nationwide, 160 of which are in Bangkok."

The current business model is to 1) acquire the land 2) do a partial build and 3) wait for the market to catch up to sell.

Duh. Geniuses. The whole structure should be ripped down at the owner's expense.

Why at the owners expense? I thought the article said the government "powers that be" approved and permitted it.