Thai village evicts 48 HIV patients

webfact

Chonburi village evicts 48 HIV patients
By Coconuts Bangkok

ballot.jpg
131 ballots vote to evict HIV patients. Photo: The Glory Hut Foundation

CHONBURI: -- Lang Nern villagers of Chonburi's Banglamung district have voted to remove 48 HIV patients at a local charity because they were thought to be hurting land values and business.

Residents cast 131 of 161 ballots Friday to demand the Glory Hut Foundation relocate its patients, according to the foundation. They were given six months to clear out.

"They are asking us to leave despite the fact that we donate them our excess goods and teach their children English," foundation spokeswoman Chanchanok Khamtong said.

She also said the charity cannot afford the fund to move out of its rented building at this time and never intended to affect the community.

"We're not disturbing the villagers. We just want to help care for our patients," she said.

Wichien Weluwan, president of Lang Nern community, said the villagers “do not hate” the HIV patients but cannot live with them because of the feelings in the community.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/12/16/chonburi-village-evicts-48-hiv-patients

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-12-16

Shameless, selfish, bigoted and greedy beyond belief. Just when I thought this place couldn't go any lower....

Can't wait for the apologists response to this one...

First sentence spot on.--------------- the second really ridiculous ------and nothing to do with apologists. it's about local admn--who were more than likely got their jobs under the PTP regime................

Thai tollerance at its best. "We do not hate them" it's all about land values and money. So if it is having an effect on land values, that the HIV patients are living there, clearly the villagers are not alone in their "values". Its a Thai thing perhaps.

So they can all come to stay at your house ?

• Like 1

Thai tollerance at its best. "We do not hate them" it's all about land values and money. So if it is having an effect on land values, that the HIV patients are living there, clearly the villagers are not alone in their "values". Its a Thai thing perhaps.

So they can all come to stay at your house ?

They are not asking to live rent free in private people's houses so your question is ridiculous.

It was meant to be, jeez, no sense of humour, let me guess where you're from......

Assuming most of these patients were druggies or prostitutes, I can see the villagers point.

Maybe they don't like living near criminal types.

Feel the compassion. rolleyes.gif

How would you like a halfway house for the criminally insane set up next to your home?

Or an Aryan biker gang club house ........

Same sort of thing.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

Good Lord. That discussion completely derailed. coffee1.gif

I agree.

I'm an atheist actually but I think you don't need any religion to know some basic ethics about treating other human beings decently and with compassion.

I do know most expats posting here probably identify as Christian and most Thais identify as Buddhist and you would think people from both of those religious traditions would understand that too.

• Like 1

thought to be hurting land values and business, well get shot of them with HIV thats the best way forward for all concerned someone has to take a stand and think of the villages future very Thai logical thinking at its best.