Bontrager wheels bearing adjustment?

h90

I got a new Trek Madone 2.1 with Bontrager wheels.

When I turn at the bearing there is a surprising resistance. I didn't do anything with bikes the last 15 years, so what I remember could be wrong, but I remember that bearings of the wheel were always with almost no resistance.

My questions:

Is that because:

1) Bontrager is crap and I should replace it asap?

or

2) It is complete normal and bearings need to run in a couple km?

or

3) It is a bit too tight and I need to loose the bearing slightly and everything is perfect?

or

4) It is set a bit too tight on purpose so it will be perfect after x00 km

or

5) Something complete different.

In compare to what I am used to (if remember right) the wheels feel a bit heavy and the 700x23 tires look very fat, but that might make sense considering the holes and stones on Thailands streets.

rusted maybe because they have not received enough grease in the first place ? Wouldn't surprise me given the moist climate . . . everything made of iron and non stainless steel - and that means literally all needles and balls inside bearings - here starts to rust within 5 minutes when opposed to Thailand's air !

next bet . . you already mentioned it . . to tight a fit . . . Thai Tech No Logy No Plan . . . . .

Edited by crazygreg44

Bontrager is Treks inhouse components brand, and generally is pretty good. I'm even considering one of there carbon/aluminum wheelsets to replace my broken Giant ones.

I would take them back to the shop you purchased it from, as it shouldn't be that way on such a new bike. Get them to service the bike now that everything should have bedded in.

Some things to check yourself though, are you sure it's not one of the brake pads lightly resting on the rim? It only needs to barely touch to provide enough resistance that it doesn't roll freely. Or the issue that I had this past weekend, the rim is bent out of true so it also rubs on the brake pads for part of the revolution.

I would opt for the bearings being too tight. This may have happened during assembly of the bike at your LBS. As far as I know all hub bearings come pregreased from the factory. I would expect Boontrager used cartridge (sealed) bearings in these hubs which would certainly mean they were pre-greased during the manufacture of the hub. I would bring the bike back to the shop and ask them to check things out.

moonoi: Not the brake pads: It is when I take the wheels out and try to rotate the axis (if that is the right word).

Bringing them back to the shop isn't really an option, I wasn't very happy with the shop when I bought it. So I can only go to a other shop or try myself.

Thanks.....

I bought it at Probike near Lumpini park in Bangkok. And I wasn't pleased with them.

I have a nice shop close, but if the one technician with knowledge isn't there than everything is "mai me".

I forgot to mention the front wheel has zero km and the back wheel 1.5 hours on the trainer roll.

(I'll use the bike in the south of Thailand and currently it is still in Bangkok)

I know what you mean. I had problems with them in the past but everything was ok again after I exchanged an em or two with the owner.

There is a decent bike shop - Nakornthai Bike close to Vejthani Hospital on Lad Phrao rd. I've never used their service but he seems to be quite knowledgeable when I've dicussed buying parts etc. The shop always seeks to be quite busy.

Why not just do the adjustment yourself. It's not difficult at all once you have those 2 flat wrinches shown in the video. You should be able to buy them in any shop which sells Park Tools.

If you're headed to the south of Thailand I can highly recommend Champion Bike in Krabi. My cycling partner and I were on tour and stopped in for some routine work.

Yeah, Probike can be a bit hit and miss, at times I've had excellent service and others they've been a real PITA.

If you don't want to try making the adjustment yourself then Agree that Nakornthai Bike is a good place, as is Km8 Bike on RamInthra Rd. Both incredibly busy places, especially at the weekend.

In the CBD, I've never had a bad dealing with Bike Zone in Amarin Plaza, very helpful staff and their service is excellent too.

I know what you mean. I had problems with them in the past but everything was ok again after I exchanged an em or two with the owner.

There is a decent bike shop - Nakornthai Bike close to Vejthani Hospital on Lad Phrao rd. I've never used their service but he seems to be quite knowledgeable when I've dicussed buying parts etc. The shop always seeks to be quite busy.

Why not just do the adjustment yourself. It's not difficult at all once you have those 2 flat wrinches shown in the video. You should be able to buy them in any shop which sells Park Tools.

If you're headed to the south of Thailand I can highly recommend Champion Bike in Krabi. My cycling partner and I were on tour and stopped in for some routine work.

No video with your posting, but I think it is just both sides have a thread with high friction (so it does not get loose on itself) you hold one side and an make the other side a very small amount loose.

Right?

post-12692-0-67538600-1418789674_thumb.j

Yeah, Probike can be a bit hit and miss, at times I've had excellent service and others they've been a real PITA.

If you don't want to try making the adjustment yourself then Agree that Nakornthai Bike is a good place, as is Km8 Bike on RamInthra Rd. Both incredibly busy places, especially at the weekend.

In the CBD, I've never had a bad dealing with Bike Zone in Amarin Plaza, very helpful staff and their service is excellent too.

I have good experience with culture cyclist Phutamonton 4 branch. And very quite there.

But almost no English and the girls don't know much.

Probike: First time I was there was very perfect, but second time was pretty bad service. I got told this guy is already well known.

As mentioned in another tread I have the same bike but 2012 Mod.

1. Bontrager is not crap.

2.No its not normal, shouldn't be any resistance there.

3 and 4. Can be and happened during assembly of the bike or a production miss at factory

5. Maybe

Bontrager wheels on the lower Trek models are a bit on the heavy side. I just changed wheels a week ago, bike feel a bit lighter overall, but you shall be a extreme well trained roadie if any less gram on the wheels shall make you faster. I`m not.

As mentioned in another tread I have the same bike but 2012 Mod.

1. Bontrager is not crap.

2.No its not normal, shouldn't be any resistance there.

3 and 4. Can be and happened during assembly of the bike or a production miss at factory

5. Maybe

Bontrager wheels on the lower Trek models are a bit on the heavy side. I just changed wheels a week ago, bike feel a bit lighter overall, but you shall be a extreme well trained roadie if any less gram on the wheels shall make you faster. I`m not.

Thanks for the answer. No the weight doesn't matter for me, only it felt heavier. Visually the tires are much broader than on my old bike (also this 8.7 bar max, while on my old I went with 11 bar), which is must probably good in Thailand.

Well typically and note to self; I forget to recommend a solution!

I have no waterproof answer but I personally had brought the bike back to the dealer in your case Probike. However if you are a bit dexterous check and try to fix it yourself.

I'll first ride a bit on it (till now it only stands on trainer in the room) and if it is the same after say 50-100 km I'll try myself or if I fail I go to a different shop. No way I go back to Probike. They won't see my face again even if they would be the only bike shop in Thailand....

Just bought the tools and adjusted it. Now it feels perfect.

So I had:

1) no pedals

2) back tube broken because most probably squeezed between tire and wheel

3) Can't use one gear as it is slightly adjusted wrong

4) front wheal bearing way to hard

5) back wheel bearing slightly to hard. You could argue it is OK

6) back wheel slightly moves right/left when rotating (acceptable but not perfect)

Well done Probike....

h90

Why not send an email to the owner Khun Nipa at [email protected] to let him know about your experience. He has always been more than helpful when I contacted him in the past. That kind of service is just unacceptable in my book.

Owner is khun Natee , email [email protected]

Had twice, due to accidents and the necessary repairs of my Madone roadbike exchanges by email and have found excellent help and support from him and his team like khun Nipa. 5 stars to them.

The shop sales team though I would not award more than 2 1/2 stars even.

W

Thanks for the information....no I won't send them an email, but considering that you had good experiences I'll give them again a chance in future.

Actually they are very far away from me and I have 2 other shops close to me (quality also depending on which staff is there).

Replacing the tube was there 280 Baht. Traveling to Probike is 500 Baht taxi.