Worth buying a powerstrip in the UK?

dpinger

Will be in Thailand for a few weeks.

Wondering if it's worth picking up something like this beforehand

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00348HAKS/ref=gno_cart_title_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1SYSR4XTQG70L

or even

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-THAILAND-Extension-Earthed-Certified/dp/B005EGKFDC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418762239&sr=8-1&keywords=adaptor+thailand

Or if I can easily find something suitable once I'm on the ground. Some kind of surge protection would be nice.

Not carrying a vast amount of gear. Macbook (I have EU and UK plugs for this), and one EU portapow thing that charges four devices simultaneously.

Edited by dpinger

APC (made by Schneider) surge-protected power strips are readily available in Thailand, and are high quality with buss-bars inside, and use an American NEMA style 3-pin plug which will earth properly in a Thai 3-pin socket.

1B71B03651A86E18852579B1006D764B_EWAR_8R

They will accept EU 2-pin plugs, AU 3-pin, US 2/3-pin and Thai 2/3 pin plugs. They won't accept UK plugs though, and if you plug in Shucko's (without an extra adaptor) they won't get an Earth.

Their UPS's offer surge protection along with some backup power, and will accept all the plugs of the strip above, plus 3-pin UK plugs:

E40841FC-5056-9170-D34D31428B823939_pr.j

I have been there, done that with every other brand (including the Toshino's recommended by Crossy - sorry mate!) and I won't touch anything else now.

• Like 2

No problem IMHO, APC kit is well known as the best, the Roll Royce of the power strip and UPS world smile.png

The Toshino stuff is cheap enough that if you do distort the contacts with a UK plug you can just bin it smile.png

• Like 1

Those round pin plugs do not work particularily well in Thailand, as most outlets are cheap cheap cheap and do not grab them properly. The US flat style plugs work much better in the cheap outlets. More to grab onto, I guess.

As already stated, many hotels/condos either use US style sockets, or dual style. My condo, for example, has only US style outlets, as do most of the hotels I stay in.

Would the live connection on these UK Power strips not be a problem

as the live connection on Thai wall plugs is on the opposite side from

the UK,so you would not be protected by the fuse in a UK style plug.

In short L N are switched in Thailand

regards Worgeordie

Would the live connection on these UK Power strips not be a problem

as the live connection on Thai wall plugs is on the opposite side from

the UK,so you would not be protected by the fuse in a UK style plug.

In short L N are switched in Thailand

regards Worgeordie

Good point, WG. I was surprised that Crossy recommended Toshino as the ones I bought had the live and neutral switched, and the on/off switch on each socket merely cut the neutral! So the equipment was always live when the switch was off.

Maybe Toshino now make them for UK polarities. I always check them with a meter, now. And check what comes out of the wall socket.

I use exclusively Home Pro "Elektra" brand. They have the live and neutral coming out of the correct holes, the switch operates on the live side and the earth goes to the earth pins.

Edit:

Previous post:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/615984-electric-shocks-from-computer-equipment/?p=6070900

Edited by JetsetBkk

I'll chip in my thoughts. The cheapo power strips you buy at Lotus etc are a piece of crap and IMHO hugely dangerous. They don't grab even US flat pins that well and you can hear them arcing, fire in the making.

You can buy decent quality APC power strips that accept US, EU or UK sockets and grab them perfectly for reasonable cost. I think I paid ฿500 for a 6 outlet isolated strip from APC in the mall

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. Bad Kitty, that first APC power strip looks particularly decent.

Ideally wanted to pick something up in the UK so I could arrive and plug in my kit straight away without any concerns, as there probably won't be much time for shopping for the first few days.

So perhaps I will grab that Travel Ready adaptor off Amazon, and try to get the APC strip later on.

Edited by dpinger

No need to bring with you as they're readily available here in the big department stores or Tesco or Big C.

They have a variety of prices from cheap and cheerful (and dangerous) to good quality with surge protectors.

Most have Thai plugs on the lead and multi-adapters fittings on the sockets so no need for any adapter (although I'd certainly bring one).