russian to deposit

the central bank rate of 17% does not mean that an investor can get that rate. yesterday's rates for fixed deposits minimum RUB 10,000,000.- (multinational banks Singapore) are:

3 mths.........8.875%

6 mths.........9.125%

1 year.......10.375%

note: there'sno need for a Russian bank if you want to invest in Rubles.

the central bank rate of 17% does not mean that an investor can get that rate. yesterday's rates for fixed deposits minimum RUB 10,000,000.- (multinational banks Singapore) are:

3 mths.........8.875%

6 mths.........9.125%

1 year.......10.375%

note: there'sno need for a Russian bank if you want to invest in Rubles.

Sounds like a solid investment opportunity.

Gain 10% interest payment meanwhile the Rubles slides to 50% of its worth.

Wouldn't be too bad if you caught it on the way up.

Feeling lucky ?

Just an example of some news reports on the rubble today...a partial quote from a Bloomberg 17 Dec story. Falling knifes everywhere.

Pacific Investment Management Co. (PEBIX) is facing mounting losses on its Russian bond holdings; almost every bullish ruble option contract registered in the U.S. has been made worthless; and foreign-exchange brokers in New York and London told clients they’re no longer taking ruble trades. Sergey Shvetsov, a first deputy central bank governor, expressed astonishment at the scope of the collapse during a conference in Moscow.

“We couldn’t imagine what’s happening in our worst nightmare even a year ago,” Shvetsov, who oversees financial markets at Bank of Russia, said yesterday. He said the surprise interest-rate increase in the middle of the night, a 6.5 percentage-point move that failed to stem the run on the ruble yesterday, was a choice between a “very bad” option and and a “very, very bad” option.

Great idea. But not forget, in last 2 months russian currency drops dramatically and now 35 satang / rouble rate instead of almost 1 baht / 1 rouble in August.

Fortunately, I not have any roubles anymore. And another side effect, this season will be almost without russian tourists, because income in USD/ EURO is 30% from what they have before. Average Moscow office clerk with $3000 equivalent income now have only $1000.

Yes you wouldn't want any USD. Sell it all and buy baht, rubles and yuan. crazy.gif

Actually you would want something more tangible. Gold works pretty well. If Russia and China dump their dollar reserves and demand bond repayments in gold, the dollar would be screwed. It would take decades for the global economy to stabilise after that.

Let's hope that they don't start fighting fire with fire here.

USA has a massive trade deficit while Russia is in the black with a healthy trade surplus.

Sent from my ASUS_T00I using Tapatalk 2

Yes you wouldn't want any USD. Sell it all and buy baht, rubles and yuan. crazy.gif

Actually you would want something more tangible. Gold works pretty well. If Russia and China dump their dollar reserves and demand bond repayments in gold, the dollar would be screwed. It would take decades for the global economy to stabilise after that.

USA has a massive trade deficit while Russia is in the black with a healthy trade surplus.

Massive??? Yes, the trade deficit per year is approx $12 Billion per year in Russia's favor.....U.S. GDP is approx $17 Trillion per year...which means $12B equates to 0.07% of the U.S. GDP....pretty small percentage...a winter storm for a day or so keeping most shoppers home would cause that much of a variation...then again they would probably just do more online shopping and balance it out.

Massive??? Yes, the trade deficit per year is approx $12 Billion per year in Russia's favor.....U.S. GDP is approx $17 Trillion per year...which means $12B equates to 0.07% of the U.S. GDP....pretty small percentage...a winter storm for a day or so keeping most shoppers home would cause that much of a variation...then again they would probably just do more online shopping and balance it out.

Think about this scenario for a second:

China has taken Russia's side over the Ukraine issue (the main reason for the sanctions). Russia decides to drop the US dollar and not pay any debts and China would follow suit. Think about it, why wouldn't they? They could hold on to their dollar treasuries and lose loads while the dollar slides or follow Russia and dump the dollar. India would probably follow suit and there would be a major shit storm.

The end result:

All their currencies would take a major hit but not nearly as much as the dollar would. Together these countries hold many trillions in US treasuries and bonds (enough to buy the entire US economy)

Is it any wonder why those very countries are busy creating a gold backed trading system?

Well done to the yanks, the British and any other country that has brought the Russians to the brink! Just shows you don't need to go all guns blazing to bring a country to its knees!

Vladimir Putin.... Take a bow!

cheesy.gif

China has taken Russia's side over the Ukraine issue (the main reason for the sanctions). Russia decides to drop the US dollar and not pay any debts and China would follow suit. Think about it, why wouldn't they? They could hold on to their dollar treasuries and lose loads while the dollar slides or follow Russia and dump the dollar. India would probably follow suit and there would be a major shit storm.

The end result:

All their currencies would take a major hit but not nearly as much as the dollar would. Together these countries hold many trillions in US treasuries and bonds (enough to buy the entire US economy)

Is it any wonder why those very countries are busy creating a gold backed trading system?

If this, if that.

Russian cheer squad hoping that China is going to rope themselves to the Putin gang? Desperate and deluded.

of course Gold works pretty well laugh.png

gold%20works%20well.JPG

• Like 1

The end result:

"What if's" are nice things to ponder...and gold has been heading south for a couple of years now.

The end result:

"What if's" are nice things to ponder...and gold has been heading south for a couple of years now.

interesting are also the fairy tales concerning countries which are busy creating a gold-backed system whistling.gif