Fewer than 1-in-20 taxis ready to charge new fares Monday

webfact

Fewer than 1-in-20 taxis ready to charge new fares Monday
By Coconuts Bangkok

fares_0.jpg
Photo: Amanda W

BANGKOK: -- When new fares go into effect Monday, they'll be charged in fewer than one of 20 taxis.

Although roughly half of 100,000 registered taxis have made it through mandated inspections, meters in fewer than 5,000 have been adjusted, and completing the process for all will take nearly 16,000 man-hours, according to the chief of the Department of Land Transport.

"It takes experts about 10 minutes to adjust the meter of each taxi," Thiraphong Rotprasoet was quoted today by the Bangkok Post. "The adjustment will take place at the department's service area near Don Mueang."

That off-the-cuff estimate would place the work, done continuously, at 15,833.3 (repeated) hours, or about 94 weeks of work.

Thiraphong did not indicate how many meter-adjusters are busy completing the work. If there were 50 of them, it would still take about two months of working a typical week. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/12/18/fewer-1-20-taxis-ready-charge-new-fares-monday

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-12-18

Over the last 2 weeks I have taken taxis every day including weekends (as well as Uber Black, which I prefer) and engaged every driver in a bit of friendly conversation. I moved the conversation to taxi fares, which I truly feel are too low. Having said that, I feel the single most damaging issue to the industry, well-being of taxi drivers, and we passengers is that there are way too many taxis on the road and no management of car quality, driving standards, driver standards, etc. I also ask about these issues, but the main question is about fares.

We all recall the announcement that fares would increase in Dec this year. Then we heard it was canceled.

Of the 30 plus taxi drivers I talked to, every one agreed that there was an announcement but that it was canceled. Several said that their "organization of taxi drivers" had been negotiating with the Bangkok govt and threatened to hold a huge strike for days and cripple the city. But this idea was scrapped for some reason.

Starting yesterday, drivers have started to confirm there will be a rise.

Not one driver had his car inspected for annual reasons or for QC reasons.

Several admitted their car would not pass - all said the reason was that their car was 12 years old that year and would no longer be eligible for use. Some looked 30 years old, but others looked fairly well maintained.

WITH THE EXCEPTION OF 2 CARS, EVERY SINGLE TAXI HAD BLOWN OUT SHOCK ABSORBERS. They did not work and the ride was the bouncy ride we all have come to know and accept as the norm.

On 4 occasions - at Rajaprarop intersection during rush hour could not get one taxi to take me the Mrs. and baby (not ours smile.png) to take us on Jatuladit to Klong Ton, which avoids a lot of rush hour traffic.

- On Silom at Rama IV at 6 pm could not get a taxi to take us anywhere.

- On Sukumvit on 2 occasions 9pm and 10 pm on weeknights could not get taxi to take us (2 well dressed gentlemen) from Asoke north to Rama IX hotel near Ekamai. Waited for 30 minutes. Finally got an Uber.

Also interesting to note that every time I had difficulty getting a taxi (and several others) I tried GrabTaxi and it was a waste of time. In fact, having the app for more than a month, I have never had success with the thing. Uber is busy and does not have cars sometimes, and I have to wait, but it eventually works. Can't say same about Grab Taxi.

All Uber rides were comfortable, in newish cars, with complete quiet, the silence was a pleasure. Arm rests were nice and the legroom was adequate for 1.9 cm tall guy. Bottled water was a nice touch. No haggling about destination, nobody declined the fare.

1.9 cm tall guy? I'd be holding onto the centre console for dear life; underneath the nearest swage I could get my fingers into, below the front seat-slide rails! giggle.gif

Bouncy rides don't happen to all have come to know, by the way. I drive my own cars, and would never entertain a taxi in BKK. Why? because as your observations are clear, even the taxi drivers know their vehicles would fail any minimal (which is what it is here) safety inspections, or road worthiness inspections.

By the way, how the ruddy hell did you get into the car? cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Since when has a meter adjustment ever stopped a BKK Taxi driver trying to charge what he wants.

I had an argument with one from the airport last month when he told me all taxi fares went up that day, (I think they were supposed to, but the rise was cancelled), and he would have to charge me a flat rate into town THB450.

Over the last 2 weeks I have taken taxis every day including weekends (as well as Uber Black, which I prefer) and engaged every driver in a bit of friendly conversation. I moved the conversation to taxi fares, which I truly feel are too low. Having said that, I feel the single most damaging issue to the industry, well-being of taxi drivers, and we passengers is that there are way too many taxis on the road and no management of car quality, driving standards, driver standards, etc. I also ask about these issues, but the main question is about fares.

We all recall the announcement that fares would increase in Dec this year. Then we heard it was canceled.

Of the 30 plus taxi drivers I talked to, every one agreed that there was an announcement but that it was canceled. Several said that their "organization of taxi drivers" had been negotiating with the Bangkok govt and threatened to hold a huge strike for days and cripple the city. But this idea was scrapped for some reason.

Starting yesterday, drivers have started to confirm there will be a rise.

Not one driver had his car inspected for annual reasons or for QC reasons.

Several admitted their car would not pass - all said the reason was that their car was 12 years old that year and would no longer be eligible for use. Some looked 30 years old, but others looked fairly well maintained.

WITH THE EXCEPTION OF 2 CARS, EVERY SINGLE TAXI HAD BLOWN OUT SHOCK ABSORBERS. They did not work and the ride was the bouncy ride we all have come to know and accept as the norm.

On 4 occasions - at Rajaprarop intersection during rush hour could not get one taxi to take me the Mrs. and baby (not ours smile.png) to take us on Jatuladit to Klong Ton, which avoids a lot of rush hour traffic.

- On Silom at Rama IV at 6 pm could not get a taxi to take us anywhere.

- On Sukumvit on 2 occasions 9pm and 10 pm on weeknights could not get taxi to take us (2 well dressed gentlemen) from Asoke north to Rama IX hotel near Ekamai. Waited for 30 minutes. Finally got an Uber.

Also interesting to note that every time I had difficulty getting a taxi (and several others) I tried GrabTaxi and it was a waste of time. In fact, having the app for more than a month, I have never had success with the thing. Uber is busy and does not have cars sometimes, and I have to wait, but it eventually works. Can't say same about Grab Taxi.

All Uber rides were comfortable, in newish cars, with complete quiet, the silence was a pleasure. Arm rests were nice and the legroom was adequate for 1.9 cm tall guy. Bottled water was a nice touch. No haggling about destination, nobody declined the fare.

1.9 cm tall guy? I'd be holding onto the centre console for dear life; underneath the nearest swage I could get my fingers into, below the front seat-slide rails! giggle.gif

Bouncy rides don't happen to all have come to know, by the way. I drive my own cars, and would never entertain a taxi in BKK. Why? because as your observations are clear, even the taxi drivers know their vehicles would fail any minimal (which is what it is here) safety inspections, or road worthiness inspections.

By the way, how the ruddy hell did you get into the car? cheesy.gif

ruddy hell, indeed

I just came back from Sukhumvit to Ratchadada ( MRT Phra Ram 9), normally it would have costs me without trafic jam 41 THB.

Today I paid 93 THB without traffic jam, due to the new fares ( according to the taxi driver). I was in a real shitty old taxi, shock absorbers shaking all the time and I could hear the worn out tires on the road.....

Yeah, sure it was one of those 1 out of 20 taxis....

Most of the clapped out taxis in Bangkok would not be fit for a demolition derby track never mind driving customers about in I don’t think any have shock absorbers fitted might as well be sitting on the road roughest taxis in the world only good thing they have going for them is the price of the fare.

Only problem is if they adjust the meters themselves and know how too, they will not be able to place the correct barcodes inside the unit and the stamped lead seal on the unit. So when they do get inspected the unit will say how long ago it was changed, and it isn't something you can hide.

When you board a taxi in bangkok it should be visible the tag for the sealing of the meter, if its intact meter not tampered if missing, i'd pass.