Singha, Chang, and LEO

JohnnyHK

I must have gotten a bad LEO because it was rank. I thought it was from Lawson or 7-11 but I may have picked it up from a mom and pop shop.

In the US we have 40oz beer bottles, imagine how many Farang heads would be mashed by Thais with those? Probably better only having 16oz bottles for Thailand.

BTW I found Carlsberg in a Phuket "bar", do the Danish dump a bunch of no name beers in Thailand too?

you may have noticed that in some supermarkets, you can buy CARLSBERG. And EACH bottle carries the tax strip across the top.

They used to brew locally and gave up on it. The bottles you can buy in Thailand have been brewed in Singapore and get imported, taxed bottle by bottle !

my advice, always check the filling date of the beer before you buy ( which is not easy in a bar where you always need to drink and pay for at least one before knowing the date. I wouldn't dare ask the staff "how old is that beer you serve in here place?" )

Edited by crazygreg44

In Germany nobody is allowed to use other ingredients than what's listed by the german beer regulation ( only hop, water and malt ) and only these three ingredients !

Leo, like most asian beers, is an adjunct lager - ie, it's made with cheaper grains in addition to the traditional ingredients, in this case rice. Most mass-market American beers are adjuncts too, which I guess is why Americans tend to like Leo.

Singha adheres to the traditional lager recipe you mention above, as does Chang Export I believe.

I am a beer anorak. When I first went to Thailand in 1978, there were 3 beers availble:- Amarit (occasionally available on draught)was sweet, Kloster was tasteless, Singha @ 6% was the best of a poor bunch and I still prefer it although it is less tasty since they reduced the strength.

The best would be an Export Pale Ale of the type that UK brewers used to supply to the troops in India in the time of Empire. These Exports were extra strength and well hopped since both of these ensured that the beer kept better. The high alcohol also allowed the use of ice to cool (not chill) the beer without diluting the taste too much.In the days of empire refrigeration was rudimentary but ice always available.

I look forward to a proper Pale ale being brewed in Thailand.

Leo - top of the pops - tried and true - just the right crispness. Nice clean taste. Reminds me of Pilsner Urquell. Diss me not.

I'm guessing it's rather a long time since you had an Urquell.

Mulled this over overnight. Still don't think Leo / Pilsner Urquell is a preposterous comparison. Although I agree Pilsner Urquell is somewhat better.

Red horse is better than the mention stuff. but not really Thai. Lao dark is far superior to any Thai beer

Beer LAO is indeed a VERY tasty beer !!!! But hard to get inside Thailand . . . .

except in tops and villa market and foodland, even in Soi Cowboy

Edited by dragonfly94

Call them Beer???

Newcastle Brown Ale, now that is beer.

The Thai stuff is basically lager. And most taste the same. IMHO of course

I love a NBA, but they are so expensive, if you can get them.

Leo if fine to drink all day if the weather is hot.

And, let's be honest, when isn't it hot in thailand?

Singha, I like the malty taste, but protest them when they went to a smaller bottle.

Call them Beer???

Newcastle Brown Ale, now that is beer.

The Thai stuff is basically lager. And most taste the same. IMHO of course

You think Newcastle Brown is good!

Try this, google Newcastle Brown Ale ingredients. You will cringe.

Infact nearly all major beer companies outside of Germany are selling poison.

Its the reason people complain of headaches and awful hangovers.

I ordered from wishbeer, and got my box today- fullers ESB and various German and Dutch beers that make Thai beer look just what it is, forth rate. Of course you pay a little bit more but worth it IMO and they deliver free if over 2k baht.