Don Muang Airport Boosts Security After Foiled Bomb Plot In London

george

Seeing the news about the 21 arrested in Britain for planning to detonate bombs on planes in flight, it seems that it will soon become too dangerous to travel by air (and too expensive to travel by car), unless absolutely necessary. Airline and car manufacturing businesses will undoubtedly suffer and some will possibly face bankruptcy.

For intercontinental travel there doesn’t seem to any real alternatives than air, because passenger travel by sea could also be targeted. For internal travel, however, governments should increase the number of rail networks and introduce high-speed trains like they have in Japan. Anyone visiting Japan will be astounded by the their excellent rail network and the thousands of tunnels they built to go through hills and small mountains, instead of laying tracks around them. Japan is a very hilly country, so just picture what would happen if the bullet trains tried to go around at speed instead of straight through, or how much time would be wasted if they had to slow down on bends.

Thailand would do well to emulate the Japanese. A lot of jobs could be created by laying new lines, digging tunnels, and building more stations. But I guess that the bus companies would effectively block such a plan.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pehaps some good may come of this, I dont know how many of you have had to wait while some idiot has tried to board an aircraft with 5 plastic bags a suitcase and two hand luggage bags, but i have seen it. I would not like to see the caos this will cause in Lagos though!!

makes a change for security to improve at Bangkok, usually the guards are sleeping, makes me laugh when you have to collect someone late at night / early morning you have to use the car horn to wake them up and allow you in the car park!!

Unfortunately, the value of the information and the truth that lies in it, is worth very little. It is a great weapon of mass distraction used by Goebbels, by Blair and by Bush. These kinds of alledged plots, hardly ever materialize and stay in the stages of talking about it. It distracts the attention of the war in Iraq (which was needed after Lieberman got beaten and Bush and Blair gets ratings that are on seage level) and Lebanon.

Anyone who believes that it is logical to come up with a liquid explosive is not of this world. There are just three substances that would qualify and all either instable or impossible to use without difficult to smuggle devices.

These plots are designed by governments to allow our privacy to get violated. It is like a dirty bomb. You scare the hel_l out of simple people arrest a few people and in the end it appears just to be an unworkable idea.

Do not trust your government!

So by saying this you're actually implying that all muslims are likely to be potential terrorists, are you?

if it is agreed that all (or shall we say 99%) of terrorists threatening aircraft belong to the muslim faith , then surely , in these days of offender profiling , 99% of muslims boarding aircraft should be considered as potential terrorists.

there are those who will claim that such pronouncements should not be made in this day and age , but the fact is...... a muslim is statistically more likely to blow up a plane than a non muslim.

segretation of flights , whilst seeming to hark back to the days of south african apartheid , may seem like a retrograde step for interacial harmony , would probably have just the opposite effect.

as a previous poster pointed out , flights for muslims could cater for the special needs of muslims (praying , dietary , alcohol free , segregation of male and female passengers) without inconveniencing non muslims , and the behaviour of non muslims that some muslims find not acceptable (dress styles , non halal meat products , alcohol consumption and the close proximity of men and women ) would not inconvenience muslims.

security at airports would be quicker and cheaper and there would be less mistrust between muslims and non muslim.

the scenario of terrified passengers watching that group of three pakistani guys in the row in front as they fiddle around trying to get that thing out of their carry on bag would not occur. it was an mp3 player by the way.

the only objections are likely to come from moderate muslims full of mistrust for their crazier brothers who probably would not hesitate to blow up a plane load of their own in their quest for martyrdom.

OK I now have a problem.

I'm flying tomorrow night Singapore Air to Amsterdam (via Singapore). SQ office at Silom say no hand baggage (office lady called), SQ ticket line say no problem (I called).

Anyone know what the staff at DM are doing ?????

Passengers should only carry necessary items, and refrain from taking liquids, gel, and / or electrical appliances, Suraphol said.

How about golf clubs?

No, I am not joking. A month ago I passed through the security checkpoint @ Don Muang behind a passenger who was carrying a golf-club as his carry-on luggage... The people at the checkpoint didn't even ask him a question, apparently a golf club is ok while a pocket knife is not...

For internal travel, however, governments should increase the number of rail networks and introduce high-speed trains like they have in Japan.

the train passengers who died in madrid might wish to argue that point , if they hadnt been blown up by muslim terrorists.

Although I haven't seen anything from Thai Airways, I would expect the same rules quoted earlier in effect for UA/NW flights ex-BKK (no liquids, gels, lotions, shampoo, toothpaste, etc. in carry-on bags) to be in place for the direct, non-stop TG flights to LAX and JFK.

For intercontinental travel there doesn’t seem to any real alternatives than air, because passenger travel by sea could also be targeted. For internal travel, however, governments should increase the number of rail networks and introduce high-speed trains like they have in Japan.

Hmmm... how does increasing rail networks and introducing high speed trains help to prevent 'travel terrorism'? Trains can be targeted just as well. Look at the attacks in Madrid, London and, more recently, Mumbai. And targeting a high-speed train could potentially cause many more casualties because of the high impact speeds in case of a derailment.

On a side note, I think the road, rail and air network in Thailand is quite adequate for the time being and the government should be spending money on more important things, such as better schooling and decreasing poverty.

or better still, start with separate security lines , for muslims & non muslims . again no racial pun intended ! They are the ones who invented the discrimination! Every islamic country's national ID states person's religion for every citizen , even in as moderate place , as Malaysia. Heck, on Brunei's arrival card every visitor has to state his/her religion alonside passport number ! (apparently they could later allow u 2 get a bit of booze throu customs later if u're not muslim :o) . That, combined with quest for non carrying any items belonging 2 other passengers, could result in much easier life for millions of us christians/buddhist/hindus & all other passengers

Edited by asiaworld

Rampage was just days away

Impending bombings were thwarted, U.S. and Britain say in cautioning that more conspirators are likely at large.

Star news services

ASHINGTON | - W

It all began with a tip.

After the July 7, 2005, subway bombings in London, British authorities received a call from a worried member of the Muslim community, reporting general suspicions about an acquaintance.

From that vague but vital piece of information, according to a senior European intelligence official, British authorities opened the investigation into what they said Thursday turned out to be a well-coordinated and long-planned plot to use liquid explosives to bomb multiple trans-Atlantic flights heading toward the United States — an assault designed to rival the scope and lethality of the Sept. 11, 2001, hijackings.

In recent days, the plotters began investigating nonstop flights from Britain to the United States, said Michael Jackson, deputy secretary in the Homeland Security Department.

They planned a “dry run” in the next few days and, if they could get on several flights at the same time, planned to carry out the attack within days, an American counterterrorism official said.

Twenty-four people have been arrested, British officials said Thursday. The suspects were British citizens, mostly of Pakistani descent. British officials expressed confidence that the key players in the plot were in custody, but said that more suspects were at large.

Five were still eluding a massive police dragnet late Thursday, spurring some concerns that a possible “Plan B” could be set in motion.

Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said: “We cannot assume that the threat has been completely thwarted, or that we have fully identified and neutralized every member of this terrorist network.”

The terrorists were allegedly planning to use drink bottles filled with liquid explosives and simple, electronic devices — possibly iPods or cell phones — to set off charges, U.S. homeland security officials said.

The impending dry run — and the discovery of two tapes in which the would-be suicide bombers talk about “dying for Allah” — were the triggers that led British authorities to arrest the men.

The target flights were to be bound from Britain to New York, Washington, Boston, Chicago and Los Angeles, homeland security sources said.

An official said the flights appeared to have been chosen because the destinations are popular, the flights were expected to be full, and because they were leaving within 60 to 90 minutes of one another, which would have allowed the terrorists to detonate their bombs over the Atlantic simultaneously.

The hijackers of Sept. 11, 2001, also did meticulous research on airline schedules and took numerous rehearsal trips in the United States.

The Times of London reported that substantial sums of money had been wired from Pakistan to two of the alleged ringleaders so they could purchase airline tickets.

A law-enforcement bulletin issued Thursday by the Department of Homeland Security and the FBI described the conspiracy as “international in scope” but said there was no evidence that the plotters or any accomplices had set foot in the United States.

One U.S. intelligence source, however, said that some of the British suspects arrested had made calls to the United States.

An FBI and Homeland Security memo said the plotters expected to use peroxide-based explosives that are “sensitive to heat, shock and friction and can be initiated simply with fire or an electrical charge and can also be used to produce improvised detonators.”

The plotters planned to smuggle the liquids in drink bottles, officials in London said.

Peroxide has been used by Palestinian suicide bombers, and Ahmed Ressam, the would-be “millennium bomber,” had a peroxide-based detonator when he was arrested after entering the United States from Canada in 1999.

The interior minister of Pakistan, Aftab Ahmad Khan Sherpao, said late Wednesday that arrests related to the plot had also been made in Pakistan, and that Pakistani intelligence agencies worked with the British and Americans to head off the attacks.

He declined to say how many people had been detained or where they had been arrested.

The American counterterrorism official who described plans for the dry run said that several of the suspected plotters arrested in Britain had traveled to Pakistan in the past two weeks and may have met with at least one person suspected of having links to al-Qaida.

The suspected al-Qaida operative was arrested within the past two days, the official said. That arrest impelled the British officials to round up the two dozen suspects for fear that they would become wary of detection.

i find it encouraging that the initial tip-off came from a muslim.

all too often , muslims are accused of turning a blind eye as to what is actually going on under the surface in their communities.

How about golf clubs?

No, I am not joking. A month ago I passed through the security checkpoint @ Don Muang behind a passenger who was carrying a golf-club as his carry-on luggage... The people at the checkpoint didn't even ask him a question, apparently a golf club is ok while a pocket knife is not...

I tried to take a photo just for fun, but I didn't want to use the flash so it got very dark. Anyway, here it is. I zoomed in on it and adjusted the input levels a bit to make it easier to spot the handle of the club sticking up over his shoulder and behind his head from the angle where I was standing.

Twenty-one people have reportedly been arrested in connection with the foiled plot, all of them British Muslims.

Why cant Britain just put its foot down and say no to anti British British????

If there were people in Thailand who openly hated Thailand and caused damage to Thailand etc the Thais would have no problems giving them the boot. How ridiculous is it that the British have absolutely no power to do the same???? If you don't like the place your living - get out!!!

We are becoming the powerless in our own country.

So you are not aware of the problems in the south of Thailand?

hi hi you took the words out of my mouth... and those are Thai muslims and Malaysian muslims... and even though not all are bad, cause I have some very good muslim friends, it's once again ... muslims.

Maybe after the Coup d'Etat this coming week... overpowering Toxin, things will be better...

While it's good to see that I am not alone in the common sense department with my views towards muslims. We really do need to watch them and any tosh about moderate muslims is just that, tosh.

Anyway! Would I have to check my laptop? What chance is there that it would survive the trip?

I went through the airport this morning. NO increased security whatsoever, apart from a dude behind the customs desk dressed in camo's, armed with a "magic wand".

Business as usual at the departure gates also.

What i do fear, as i travel from Myanmar to Bangkok monthly, is having to stow my laptop/psp/mp3 player in the hold - i'm worried about the handling of my bags with such delecate items, and of course, the security - things have been know to get lost before now. Will Thai arrange for "special" treatment for goods of value ?....

I went through the airport this morning. NO increased security whatsoever, apart from a dude behind the customs desk dressed in camo's, armed with a "magic wand".

Business as usual at the departure gates also.

What i do fear, as i travel from Myanmar to Bangkok monthly, is having to stow my laptop/psp/mp3 player in the hold - i'm worried about the handling of my bags with such delecate items, and of course, the security - things have been know to get lost before now. Will Thai arrange for "special" treatment for goods of value ?....

In the near-term I think a lot of travellers will just have to live with risking their valuable and/or fragile items in the cargo hold, but obviously in the long-term the airlines will have to come up with some solution. I think having a separate class of checked luggage might be doable. One regular class that the normal as it presently exists, and another class where all items are handled with much more care, increased security, and priority handling. It would definitely cost the airlines more money though to implement and there would need to be some provisions for insuring these items against lost/damage.

Another solution might be to have security boxes at checkin. You put your carryon into a security box and it gets locked and you carry it onto the plane as usual but you can't get access to it until the plane lands and a security checkpoint at the destination unlocks it. It would add a lot of weight and cost to the flight if everyone did it, so it would likely have to be limited to passengers who were willing to pay extra for the service. I think well over 90% of the carryon items presently aren't actually used onboard the aircraft but people bring things in their carryon just because their checked luggage is too full/heavy. Or they're carrying valuable or hard-to-replace items that would create a hardship for them if lost damaged. I think for most of us, the carryon luggage allowance is more a convenience than a necessity.

As for the need for personal / skin care liquids and lotions while onboard, I don't think it would be too difficult for the airlines to carry onboard individual packet-sized products of what is commonly used and disperse them as needed.

I don't see a problem with bringing on books or magazines provided that they were examined first to be sure that the book wasn't hallowed out to hold a banned object or substance.

MP3 players, laptops, or other electronics might be a problem. A long-term solution there might be to allow passengers to rent airline electronic devices which have a USB port. You bring your USB memory stick, which is carefully examined, onboard the plane and plug it into the airline supplied device to personalize it to your needs / give you access to your data. Certainly not an adequate solution for some, but for a lot of people it might be acceptable.

Agree, Levent, trains (and ocean vessels) could be targeted just as well. I was thinking more about the economics and speed of internal travel resulting from the ever-increasing cost of crude oil. But, insofar as the security of train travel goes, I think you will agree that it leaves a lot to be desired, in fact I would say that it is almost non-existent. What measures are currently in place to effectively prevent another Madrid or London (or Thailand) train bombing? Air, sea, and train travel will assuredly continue to be used, despite terrorist attempts to kill as many “unbelievers” as possible. And they will certainly find new ways to do it. It’s just a matter of time.

Unfortunately, the value of the information and the truth that lies in it, is worth very little. It is a great weapon of mass distraction used by Goebbels, by Blair and by Bush. These kinds of alledged plots, hardly ever materialize and stay in the stages of talking about it. It distracts the attention of the war in Iraq (which was needed after Lieberman got beaten and Bush and Blair gets ratings that are on seage level) and Lebanon.

Anyone who believes that it is logical to come up with a liquid explosive is not of this world. There are just three substances that would qualify and all either instable or impossible to use without difficult to smuggle devices.

These plots are designed by governments to allow our privacy to get violated. It is like a dirty bomb. You scare the hel_l out of simple people arrest a few people and in the end it appears just to be an unworkable idea.

Here, here deminister! I watched the story unfold on the news last night and took it all with a pinch of salt. Fuel the fear and the paranoia and the masses forget all about the war and are led to believe that terroists are on the rampage and our Government (and the US Government for that matter) are all saints and are working for the good of the people. Absolute crap :o

So basically, you're advocating the rescinding of the nationality of natural born citizens?

A much simpler option would be to simply hang for treason anyone who commits, or plans to commit, such crimes - regardless of race or religion. But if you're interested in my opinion simply being born in a country doesn't automatically make you a citizen. It takes more than that.

Perhaps you'd also like to see all Scots. Welsh and Irish repatriated OUT of England?

Only the ones who can't stop moaning about the English while living in our cities.

The UK Government does have laws they can enact, but unlike some countries the UK operates under the premise of innocent until proven guilty, and demands a burden of proof be laid before the judiciary.

Gaz

The biggest problem we have in the UK is that every time a Government tries to do anything radical (that other countries are able to do as a matter of course) the PC morons cry foul until the legislation is watered down to the point it becomes ineffectual. ‘Londonistan’ didn’t become the destination of choice for Islamic fascists during the 1990’s without a reason. Now we are now paying the price for being so ‘right on’.

Here, here deminister! I watched the story unfold on the news last night and took it all with a pinch of salt. Fuel the fear and the paranoia and the masses forget all about the war and are led to believe that terroists are on the rampage and our Government (and the US Government for that matter) are all saints and are working for the good of the people. Absolute crap :o

Everyone who believes this should be invited on a nice long flight with the 19 suspects currently being held by Scotland Yard as fellow passengers with no security measures in place whatsoever.

I wonder how many of you ‘sceptics’ will take up the offer?

the timing of this is simply amazing

Bush is facing a backlash from voters over the Iraq war

Israel was up until yesterday having to justify their fight in rooting out Hezbula.

Now all bets are off again

people are again reminded that these terrorists simply dont care

This incident was the UK USA connection and there are several other prime airports that could also be used

I hope I am wrong however we would be crazy think that this was the only airport they were targeting

from professor dawn and dr. deminister

get a life dawn , please.

SYSTEM NAME: Nitromethane Foam (NMX Foam)

Category: Neutralization

MISSION: Neutralize mines by sympathetic detonation on the ground, above the ground and in hard to reach areas.

DESCRIPTION: NMX Foam is a hand-held, two-component system designed to neutralize mines by sympathetic detonation. The hand-held NMX Foam system is packaged in two aerosol cans. Unit A contains nitromethane as the main component. Unit B contains a mixture of hydrocarbons (propane and isobutane), which form the propellant. Both components are flammable liquids. NMX Foam does not become explosive until after the contents of Unit B are transferred into Unit A and the combined mixture is dispensed on the mine. Neutralization takes place by spraying NMX Foam on the main charge of the mine, then detonating it using a blasting cap or detonator cord. NMX Foam neutralizes mines by the same principle as explosive C-4 or TNT block, but instead uses two non-explosive chemicals. Transportation and storage requirements for NMX Foam are therefore easier and less restrictive than for explosives. NMX Foam is capable of neutralizing mines above the ground surface, mines attached to trees and in hard to reach areas such as those only visible through a crack in the ground surface.

STATUS: NMX Foam is available on request. Currently, each kit costs less than $20.00 on mass production.

SPECIFICATIONS: Length: Unit A, 9.5”, Diameter: 2.6”

Unit B, Length: 5.2” , Diameter: 1.5” Weight: Unit A contains 510 gm NMX Foam mix.

Unit B contains 50 gm of propellant mix

Propane:Isobutane (50:50)

Suggested Price: $ 20/kit on mass production

Advantages and Strengths:

Non explosive system

Ship and store as flammable liquids

Applicable to mines above ground, on trees and hard reach areas

Replacement for C-4 or TNT block

Limitations:

Neutralizes mines with high order

Not good for quality assurance

Government POC:

US Army RDECOM CERDEC NVESD

10221 Burbeck Road, Fort Belvoir, VA 22060-5806

AMSRD-CER-NV-CM-HD (Divyakant Patel)

Phone: +1 703.704.2505

Fax: +1 703.704.3001

E-Mail: [email protected]

Corporate POC:

Golden West Humanitarian Foundation

Attn: Joseph L. Trocino, President

6355 Topanga Canyon Blvd. Suite 517

Woodland Hills, CA 91367

Phone: +1 818.703.0024

E-Mail: [email protected]

how difficult would it be to carry those on board disguised as hairspray or shampoo dispensers.

with some electronics from a camera or computer for the detonator.

Edited by taxexile

The whole concept of having to fly everywhere is ludicrous anyway. As an ex Merchant Navy Officer (passenger ships) whose career was wrecked by the arrival of the Boeing 747, I can't help feel that retribution has come at last albeit a bit late in the day for me.

In the UK I can usually get to any destination by train quicker than by low cost airline. The same goes for many European destinations. F@@k the plane - go by train!

well , as a miserable old seadog you might be smirking with schadenfreude and doing a jig on the poop deck at the latest news , but millions of people do need to fly , and whilst agreeing with you on large rucksacks and duty free , i have to say that the rest of your post was utter bilge.

Hear hear Tax !

I travel between Singapore and Thailand every month - if I was to take the train it would re-define perpetual motion.

I carry my laptop with me frequently, as I need it for work: laptop in carry-on, backups on CD in checked baggage. I would not feel happy having laptop and backups in the same bag.

Going by ship to Ubon would indeed be an interesting trip, as Monsieur Garnier et. al. could attest, but I don't think it would qualify as a journey to be made routinely.

Another solution might be to have security boxes at checkin. You put your carryon into a security box and it gets locked and you carry it onto the plane as usual but you can't get access to it until the plane lands and a security checkpoint at the destination unlocks it. It would add a lot of weight and cost to the flight if everyone did it, so it would likely have to be limited to passengers who were willing to pay extra for the service.

Two alternatives might be:

1) Cling-film wrap and security seal all hand baggage not required during the flight;

2) Let the hostesses lock the overhead bins after boarding - although this would require additional security monitoring between the last security check and the locking of the bins.

Update:

Thailand tightens airport, public security

BANGKOK: -- Thai Armed Forces Supreme Commander Gen. Ruengroj Mahasaranond said Friday that the public should not panic following a reported plot Thursday to blow up planes flying from the United Kingom to the United States.

Security should be increased at airports and other public places in Thailand as well, Gen. Ruengroj said, to prevent any possible attack in the kingdom.

Airports of Thailand Public Co., Ltd. (AOT) has imposed stricter security measures at airports to prevent untoward incidents, he said, which may cause inconvenience to passengers.

Speaking in response to possible threats by the Pattani United Liberation Organisation (PULO) to attack Bangkok and Phuket as reported Thursday by UK-based BBC, Gen. Ruengroj asked the public to be calm and know that capable officials are on full alert to provide appropriate security.

Asked to identify Thailand's most sensitive areas, the Armed Forces chief said that the Thai authorities must be cautious and pay full attention to all areas.

--TNA 2006-08-11