Tips For Early Morning Trip To Doi Suthep

adelwich

OK. I lied! One last question. :o

I'd like to make an early morning trip to Doi Suthep to get one last look at this beautiful city. I can wake up very early, or just stay up very late. Does anyone know the best time in the morning to do this? This probably sounds like a stupid question -- nay, it is a stupid question -- but can you see the sunrise from the temple? (I'm not entirely oriented as far as east/west is concerned, but it seems like the temple should face east.) And, finally, where would I go -- early in the morning -- to catch a songthaew that will take me there?

Thanks!!!

Aaron

Yeah it does face east, as does the view.

Seeing the sunrise however would mean being at the temple before sunrise.. I'm not sure it's open to the public at that time. It depends on the season a bit, like right now sunrise is at 6.04am. In the winter this is a bit later (6:55am)

Actualy I think the road up the mountain only opens to the general public at 6am. (Not sure about this, I do know they close it at 8pm in the evening but don;t know when it opens again in the morning).. Probably 6am.

So in any case, the two viewpoints up the mountain both face the city and face East. So you can see the sunrise at those places too, then continue up to the temple.

If it's a sunrise that you are after you could worse than pop down to Doi Internon which I have been told is open for sunrise. If it's sunrise over Chiang Mai that is a must then perhaps you could gain access to the roof on one of the higher buildings on the western side of the city. Maybe Hillside 4 would suit.

Me I prefer sunsets – much easier to get up for :o

Attached sunset taken April last year (without filter).

post-28059-1155279829_thumb.jpg

Actualy I think the road up the mountain only opens to the general public at 6am. (Not sure about this, I do know they close it at 8pm in the evening but don;t know when it opens again in the morning).. Probably 6am.

The road is never closed if you have legitimite business there (like Doi Suthep)

• 2 weeks later...