Certificate of Residence.......how much?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

At the Chiang Mai Immigration office near Promenada Mall, there is an enormous sign saying the CR is free.

Officer asked for 500 baht. I said I was in no hurry and did not need VIP orocessing. Was told to come back in 10 days.

10 days later, free CR.

Latest report is that the free ones take 30 days to process :-(...

paid 500 each for two in my early days and I was on a 15day stamp waiting for my new passport.. Was told I needed one each for aquiring a motorcycle and drivers licence. No complaints, 30$ barely gets a pizza where I come from

This topic has been discussed dozens of times.

It is and unofficial fee not a bribe or any other form of corruption. The money does not go into anybodies pocket.

It actually does!

In CM about a year ago, I had to get 2 COR. Because the proof of residence was on my wife's name, the officer took me inside the office and ask for 500Bht. The bank note went directly into his pocket - literally. That was at the "old" location.

Now, it is still officially free after 10 days, but a couple month ago I was told to pay 500Bht to ensure it would be issued within a week. Otherwise, I would wait a very long time.

I have no problem paying the 500Bht as a facilitating payment especially if it can speeds things up, it is just the paper you sign when you pick up the COR that states that you did not pay anything for the service that I find disturbing. The last COR was for my yellow book so hopefully I don't have to ask for COR anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

It is and unofficial fee not a bribe or any other form of corruption. The money does not go into anybodies pocket.

I went to Kap Choen 5 weeks ago to get two COR and my 1000THB Bank note was snatched and put quickly in the signing officer's pocket... I thought oh oh...

It was the first time i was getting this document and initially i thought it was the normal fee...

I am in the process of getting a Thai DL and will have to go again tomorrow to the same office as the DLT in Prakon Chai wants a new COR.

I read the forum about this 'fee' in Kap Choen and remember someone mentioning a new office or a new phone number for this kind of problem.

I did use the search tool in the forum but cannot find the thread, if somebody knows what i am after would they be kind enough to post the link?

I am applying for 2 DL (car and motorcycle), can you confirm i need 2 COR?

I'm suprised members are willing to pay for what is a free service.

Refuse to pay. Take your Thai partner with you and get them to point out to the officer that the service is free.

I've never paid for a residents letter.

Where does it say that such a service is free.

Either there is a service (for which a fee is normally payable) or, they do not provide the service.

It is not a service that is advertised nor is the price. 500 Baht is not unreasonable unless you re a real cheap Charlie.

Still, they have your card marked and revenge is a dish best served cold.

1. Money + no receipt= Scam

2. "They'll blackball me if I don't roll over" is a perceived threat but is utter nonsense. Anyone found to be entirely within the parameters @ extn renewal time that is declined will open a can of worms with a well aimed complaint, which is why to my knowledge it has never happened.

• Like 1

I went to Kap Choen 5 weeks ago to get two COR and my 1000THB Bank note was snatched and put quickly in the signing officer's pocket... I thought oh oh...

It was the first time i was getting this document and initially i thought it was the normal fee...

I am in the process of getting a Thai DL and will have to go again tomorrow to the same office as the DLT in Prakon Chai wants a new COR.

I read the forum about this 'fee' in Kap Choen and remember someone mentioning a new office or a new phone number for this kind of problem.

I did use the search tool in the forum but cannot find the thread, if somebody knows what i am after would they be kind enough to post the link?

Yes, although a scanned copy might suffice.

Edited by evadgib

paid 500 each for two in my early days and I was on a 15day stamp waiting for my new passport.. Was told I needed one each for aquiring a motorcycle and drivers licence. No complaints, 30$ barely gets a pizza where I come from

But Thailand is not "where you come from", they don't eat pizza and $30 is three day's salary.

I got my COR in Bueng Kan in November for the purpose of getting a car and bike DL. I gave them one original and one copy at the DLT in Bueng Kan.

I paid 300 baht for the COR at immigration and was offered no receipt. But I did get a big smile!

Edited by Issanman
  • Like 1