Another where to buy question: brand name tobacco pipes

fester the benevolent

Has anybody seen anywhere on the island selling proper tobacco pipes?

The tobacco itself is available in Villa and the smoking part at main SuperCheap and even the local Cat brand in the yellow tin will do (for me) in a pinch but I haven't seen pipes anywhere.

Plenty of those weird Chinese things with a little metal bowl and toy (or not toy?) bongs but even in places like JungCeylon or Festival I haven't found anything. I thought perhaps one of the places that sell stuff like Mont Blanc pens and that sort of paraphenalia might have a Brebbia or a Butz Choquin or such but no luck. Even tried a cigar shop on the entrance to Laguna but they didn't have anything either.

So far I've bought online from a place in BKK and while they have been very reliable and helpful buying a pipe without having the chance to hold it and inspect it isn't ideal.

Alternatively has anybody got any estate or surplus pipes that they would consider selling?

Thanks in advance for any ideas. :)

I don't recall ever seeing any for sale on Phuket.

This site (BKK) seems to have what you want http://www.vapourhouse.com/category.php?id_category=41

Having looked through I have to say I was very tempted to start smoking a pipe again. Dunhill was my favourite brand along with Peterson

That is the place I have used in the past, I didn't want to post the name and link because people would suspect me of shilling for them since I'm a newbie poster to TV.

As I said in the OP they are good and have a decentish selection but I really like to have a few minutes to inspect the pipe, weigh it up and check it for signs of filler and any other minor defects before I buy.

I am quite surprised that there seemingly no places selling pipes on Phuket; are we brothers of the briar so rare nowadays?

I have a nice little pipe if you are interested. It's got "Monarck 1363" engraved on the stem. I was given it as a gift a couple of years ago along with a bag of tobacco but never used it after the tobacco ran out. If you're interested make me an offer. I'm up in Loei but can post no problem. here's a couple of pics.

Joepost-146449-0-07446600-1419048962_thumb.post-146449-0-24483900-1419049022_thumb.

I don't recall ever seeing any for sale on Phuket.

This site (BKK) seems to have what you want http://www.vapourhouse.com/category.php?id_category=41

Having looked through I have to say I was very tempted to start smoking a pipe again. Dunhill was my favourite brand along with Peterson

That is the place I have used in the past, I didn't want to post the name and link because people would suspect me of shilling for them since I'm a newbie poster to TV.

As I said in the OP they are good and have a decentish selection but I really like to have a few minutes to inspect the pipe, weigh it up and check it for signs of filler and any other minor defects before I buy.

I am quite surprised that there seemingly no places selling pipes on Phuket; are we brothers of the briar so rare nowadays?

I think that Pipe Smoking went out of fashion in the late 90's in the UK at least. Scandinavian countries still seem to have held on to it and prevailed. If I catch the scent of a pipe on the streets now it is invariably a Scandi and occasionally a German. I miss going in to shops like Astleys in Jermyn St or to the pipe museum in Bramber (both now sadly long gone)

I have a nice little pipe if you are interested. It's got "Monarck 1363" engraved on the stem. I was given it as a gift a couple of years ago along with a bag of tobacco but never used it after the tobacco ran out. If you're interested make me an offer. I'm up in Loei but can post no problem. here's a couple of pics.

Joe

Thanks, but that isn't what I am looking for. I appreciate the kind offer though. thumbsup.gif

I think that Pipe Smoking went out of fashion in the late 90's in the UK at least. Scandinavian countries still seem to have held on to it and prevailed. If I catch the scent of a pipe on the streets now it is invariably a Scandi and occasionally a German. I miss going in to shops like Astleys in Jermyn St or to the pipe museum in Bramber (both now sadly long gone)

I just took it up a couple of years ago - then again I never was much of a fashionista!

I know what you mean about the Scandis, they have some really amazing craftsmen making pipes but the prices are sky-high.

If google is a guide pipes are still popular in the ex Soviet bloc countries too, any search for a particular pipe always throws up lots of hits for Polish, Czech, Hungarian etc retailers.

Oh well, I'll just wait until I'm next in BKK and head off to the Vapour House place. I did also find a few pipes in the Gourmet Market in the basement of Siam Paragon last time I was there but a very limited selection and at prices you'd expect from a mall that has Rolls Royce, Lamborghini and Aston Martin dealerships on the 3rd floor!

• Like 1