Fish and chips

beau thai

Had fish and chips from Dee's mobile tonight and they were lovely., the fish was particularly nice. I just wish I'd thought about it earlier in the day and made some mushy peas. Reported to be very busy at opening (6 o'clock), people waiting for him.....

Where?

My only purpose in kicking this off was to suggest a place that, to my taste, has great F & C. Did I claim to be a connoisseur,? No.

You've twice avoided posting the price, that means it's scary?

As other posters have stated, Gekko at 109bht is good enough and plenty on the plate.

What a ridiculous statement. Plenty of people in the real world recommend places without listing the price of everything. If it is good, who cares about the price? It's not like it's going to be anything more than a few hundred baht. Oh, I forgot, this is TVCM, where price is everything.

Just out of curiosity, what is a 'scary' price for Fish n Chips in a place like that?

250bht would be scary.

Considering Gekko provide more fish than I can eat for 109bht.

If you were given the choice of two petrol stations, one charging 20bht/l and one charging 60bht/l, which one would you choose?

Everyone, who isn't a fool, cares about the price.

So tell me, why is eating different?

That might be true for a homogenous product like petrol (assuming they were of the same grade). However, for me food cooked by different restaurants should not be compared by price alone. I also like to factor in quality and taste, and have been known on occasions to factor in location and ambience! However, I would prefer to eat something that tastes good even if more expensive than something that tastes "ok" but is cheaper.

Some things are worth paying a premium for in my book and very good fish and chips would be in Thailand IMHO as they don't do it very well. Pad kra pow moo wouldn't be worth paying a large premium for IMHO.

Now where is the best haddock and chips regardless of price as I fancy eating quality fish with batter that melts in my mouth and reminds me of a great Fish n Chip shop I used to visit in Lincoln!

Had fish and chips from Dee's mobile tonight and they were lovely., the fish was particularly nice. I just wish I'd thought about it earlier in the day and made some mushy peas. Reported to be very busy at opening (6 o'clock), people waiting for him.....

Where?

Loco Elvis. His number is 081-6905579, cloßed 24th, 25th and 31st.

Where?

Thats half the fun, hunting him down on your scooter or pushbike, he used to like 1-way bar, now i find him alot of the time down towards honda big wing or at the corner infront of SCB, he stays true to his map's locations but he dosnt seem to stay true to the time which is understandable, why move when your getting a steady flow of customers, not like you can say to them "yeah when you pick up your order ill be a few blocks away kthanxbye"

Where?

Thats half the fun, hunting him down on your scooter or pushbike, he used to like 1-way bar, now i find him alot of the time down towards honda big wing or at the corner infront of SCB, he stays true to his map's locations but he dosnt seem to stay true to the time which is understandable, why move when your getting a steady flow of customers, not like you can say to them "yeah when you pick up your order ill be a few blocks away kthanxbye"

The flip side of that is that you irritate the potential customers who are waiting for you at the next destination, where the business is advertised to be at a certain time. I've been at a certain advertised location twice now, waited 45 minutes past the advertised arrival time and....nothing. So I no longer look for this guy and eat something else or somewhere else.

I liked the food the one time in three attempts I was actually able to purchase and consume it but not enough to go somewhere and "hope" that I have the privilege of becoming someone's paying customer.

Edited by Diplomatico

Gecko Garden is where I go. The portion is more than enough. The price is right at 109 baht for lots of fish, fries - not proper chips - and a small salad. That is only for the Friday night special. It is slightly more the rest of the time. They taste as good as anywhere else I have tried and they have malted vinegar which - for me - is a must. The only problem is getting a seat as that seems to be their most popular special.

But its breaded not battered..

Maybe I'm slipping in my old age, but I'm pretty sure that it is battered. My mother made both when I was a kid and I am not fond of breaded fried fish. although I will eat it in a pinch. If I had any serious complaints, it would be about fries instead of chips, but that is common in Thailand and does not bother me much.

Maybe I just got a bad day ?? Twice I have had F&C at geckos and both times it was a breadcrumb type crust.. Like

71bb8d9e231b223befa6ccd58e747d99.jpg

not

copy4.JPG

Small difference but different style.. Was I just unlucky ??

• Like 1

Small difference but different style.. Was I just unlucky ??

It sounds like it. . I have eaten their Friday night F&C special numerous times and have NEVER gotten breaded fish - the top picture. Is it possible that you are ordering another type of fish on the menu?

No disrespect meant to the Dee's fans, but IMO there are a number of places around town that are just as good and just as inexpensive and you can eat on the premises. Trying to figure out where he is parking his cart is not worth the effort to me.

• Like 2

re

Philip - at Soi 1 Bar - told me to call him 30 minutes before ordering fish and chips, so that he could defrost it before deep frying, and he is a really good cook.

as soi 1 bar and kats place have both been mentioned here ive done a map

of where to find them coz they are not easy to find

soi 1 rr .. green arrow

kats place .. blue

dave2

post-42592-0-58445000-1419333871_thumb.j

post-42592-0-36180600-1419333976_thumb.j

post-42592-0-59164200-1419334059_thumb.p

post-42592-0-26419500-1419334187_thumb.j

• Like 2

Kelly's....Meechok

Always friendly, nice service. You can mix and match some meals, and order 3 sizes of fish along with 3 sizes of fries. That's kind of nice.

The beer is moderately priced, as well.

We mainly go there for breakfast (Closed Monday), but they open kind of late in the morning (9am). I am hungry by 7.

Edited by slipperylobster

Kelly's....Meechok

Always friendly, nice service. You can mix and match some meals, and order 3 sizes of fish along with 3 sizes of Chips. That's kind of nice.

The beer is moderately priced, as well.

We mainly go there for breakfast (Closed Monday), but they open kind of late in the morning (9am). I am hungry by 7.

re

Philip - at Soi 1 Bar - told me to call him 30 minutes before ordering fish and chips, so that he could defrost it before deep frying, and he is a really good cook.

as soi 1 bar and kats place have both been mentioned here ive done a map

of where to find them coz they are not easy to find

soi 1 rr .. green arrow

kats place .. blue

dave2

"Kat's Place" is actually called "The Cathouse", just to make it more clear. smile.png

No disrespect meant to the Dee's fans, but IMO there are a number of places around town that are just as good and just as inexpensive and you can eat on the premises. Trying to figure out where he is parking his cart is not worth the effort to me.

People like him who are very popular and have many customers (and the Thai guy who runs "Tacos Bell" - great Mexican food in C.M.!) should really open a small place so satisfied customers can find them and they will have regular, repeat customers. It has become difficult to locate Tacos Bell now as he is so popular with Thais and is so busy that he often ends up in one location all night. I found the guy about a week ago near the Night Bazaar and there were about 15 people in the queue. He really needs at least one - if not two helpers. The wait was a good 30-35 minutes as people were on their mobiles talking with friends and then adding items to their order for their friends. I don't think I would wait on the street again; especially for more than 30 minutes.