Fish and chips

beau thai

Had very good F & C at Kelly's Meechok Plaza- I have no connection, just a happy customer giving a heads up to any other F & C aficionados.

I read that Rob, joint owner with Thai wife Kay (charming and very friendly), is a Scot who won awards at his F & C place in Cornwall. I had Cod in good batter and what seemed like 'homemade' proper chips and my gf had a thai meal which she was happy with too.

I noticed that on their specials board they listed Xmas Pud and Custard. Very good it was too. And not the lumpy school dinners custard, despised in my youth, but good, runny, eggy, creamy stuff.

I noticed that they have a range of herby detox and energy type smoothies - not my thing but they seemed popular with other customers.

• Like 2

Gecko Garden is where I go. The portion is more than enough. The price is right at 109 baht for lots of fish, fries - not proper chips - and a small salad. That is only for the Friday night special. It is slightly more the rest of the time. They taste as good as anywhere else I have tried and they have malted vinegar which - for me - is a must. The only problem is getting a seat as that seems to be their most popular special.

Thanks, I might have to try Gecko's version. I bumped a thread earlier today about Dee's but he's not very good about maintaining his advertised schedule which - as a mobile cart - would seem rather imperative. He's missed schedule 2 of 3 times I've tried to catch him in my neighboring environs.

Don't much like the seating at Gecko - and detest the loo - but the price is usually right and it's easy to get to via public transport. Portions are always generous as well.

• Like 1

I also like Gecko but think their F&C is just OK but admit it is good value. I actually like the atmosphere at Gecko and have met quite a few TV barflies there over the years. They are a pretty descent lot as a whole and I miss them, as I am now back in Oz (and I'd rather be in CM).

I had Fish and Chips last week at the UN Irish Pub 180 baht.

The fish was fine, but it came with about half a dozen chips, a real stingy portion TBH.

They seem to be cutting down vastly on the chips, as the hamburger last night had about the same amount.

Don't much like the seating at Gecko - and detest the loo - but the price is usually right and it's easy to get to via public transport. Portions are always generous as well.

I agree with that. The atmosphere is terrible, but the food is acceptable and the price for most things is excellent. To me, the burgers, the spaghetti and the fish and chips specials are all great deals.

liver and onions take some beating too.
  • Like 1

Gecko Garden is where I go. The portion is more than enough. The price is right at 109 baht for lots of fish, fries - not proper chips - and a small salad. That is only for the Friday night special. It is slightly more the rest of the time. They taste as good as anywhere else I have tried and they have malted vinegar which - for me - is a must. The only problem is getting a seat as that seems to be their most popular special.

But its breaded not battered..

While its both 'fish' and 'chips'.. It simply doesnt reach the exalted status of 'fish and chips' without a decent crunchy beer batter.

• Like 2

I bumped a thread earlier today about Dee's but he's not very good about maintaining his advertised schedule which - as a mobile cart - would seem rather imperative. He's missed schedule 2 of 3 times I've tried to catch him in my neighboring environs.

Same.. Which sort of pissed me off to the point of thinking screw em.. They insist on this bizarre movement schedule.. with times and maps and god knows what planning.. Then dont stick to the stupid thing. Like a number 3 bus.

Find a pitch and stay in it.. Or learn how to do twitter / foursquare updates..

It is not Cod (Dory) and the chips are not home made. The fish can be a little soggy.

Rob and the staff are very friendly and nice people. The breakfasts are good although a little over priced compared to SK.

Perhaps they are doing Cod and Home made chips now thumbsup.gif if they are not then the OP coming on here singing their praises about good F & C and think's he was eating Cod and Homemade chips is hardly a connoissseur of F & C.

Edited by alfieconn

Ive been meaning to get to Kellys for some time now. This post only reinforces my desire to get there before Christmas. Ive only heard good things about the place. Agree about Geckos and the mobile cart. Excellent value at both but only rate Geckos an ok for taste.

It is not Cod (Dory) and the chips are not home made. The fish can be a little soggy.

Rob and the staff are very friendly and nice people. The breakfasts are good although a little over priced compared to SK.

I had my first f+c in 4 years at kellys a couple of months back.

I must say i was expecting something better because of the previous hype.

For me it was average and no better than anywhere else. Yes the fish was a bit soggy and quite bland tasting.

Money for money it will never come close to a pad krapow or a dukes pizza.

But hey maybe i am a fish a chip snob from the North of England and what is ever going to live up to that?

Good luck to Kellys though I hope they are successful.

• Like 1

But its breaded not battered..

Maybe I'm slipping in my old age, but I'm pretty sure that it is battered. My mother made both when I was a kid and I am not fond of breaded fried fish. although I will eat it in a pinch. If I had any serious complaints, it would be about fries instead of chips, but that is common in Thailand and does not bother me much.

I had my first f+c in 4 years at kellys a couple of months back.

I must say i was expecting something better because of the previous hype.

For me it was average and no better than anywhere else. Yes the fish was a bit soggy and quite bland tasting.

Money for money it will never come close to a pad krapow or a dukes pizza.

But hey maybe i am a fish a chip snob from the North of England and what is ever going to live up to that?

Good luck to Kellys though I hope they are successful.

Thou shall hev a fishy on a little dishy,

Thou shall hev a haddock when the boat comes in. biggrin.png

• Like 1

Cod in good batter you say, was that the basic fish and chips from the menu.

I have asked the Thai staff, in Thai, at both Kelly's (Meechok) and the Irish Pub what is the fish you serve as fish and chips?

The answer is "Dory". No , my friends, this is not the "John Dory" North Atlantic fish you might know in England, nor is it cod or haddock, nor is it an ocean fish of any kind.

It's a river fish. A Mekong catfish. Pangasius fish. Panga fish. Dory Panga. John Dory Panga.

If they were to serve cod, it would be pricey. and delicious.

Enjoy!

I find the fish and chips at Sunee's to be good.

I do too and also at The Cathouse. Unfortunately, neither place has malt vinegar available and - to me - it is not real English-style fish and chips without it.

You'd think they would invest in a bottle.

I find the fish and chips at Sunee's to be good.

I do too and also at The Cathouse. Unfortunately, neither place has malt vinegar available and - to me - it is not real English-style fish and chips without it.

You'd think they would invest in a bottle.

Sunee's and The Cathouse. Where are these places?

What kind of fish are we talking about? Thanks!

No restaurant here serves COD and chips,it is just too expensive,

even in UK,lots of the fish and chips shops (not all) are using catfish

from Vietnam,i read a report that said 75 % of fish sold is mislabeled,

once the skin is off the fish its very difficult to tell what species it is,

even fish sold here as Prime Atlantic Cod,is in fact Pacific Cod,a

different fish altogether,processed in China.

regards worgeordie

Cod in good batter you say, was that the basic fish and chips from the menu.

I have asked the Thai staff, in Thai, at both Kelly's (Meechok) and the Irish Pub what is the fish you serve as fish and chips?

The answer is "Dory". No , my friends, this is not the "John Dory" North Atlantic fish you might know in England, nor is it cod or haddock, nor is it an ocean fish of any kind.

It's a river fish. A Mekong catfish. Pangasius fish. Panga fish. Dory Panga. John Dory Panga.

If they were to serve cod, it would be pricey. and delicious.

Enjoy!

The Australian John Dory species is a much sort after, very,very expensive, fish when eaten at a restaurant. It has a round body shape nothing like the so called catfish dory. As a young fella we occasionally caught Dory around Sydney Harbour they have a very prominent black spot on their sides,very slow moving and never put up much of a struggle.

When I first saw packs of frozen Dory being sold at Makro,hang Dong and noticed the fillet shape and low price I queried the Manager, who happened to be passing me "How can you call these Dory?".He smiled and said "Oh everyone love Dory",didn't exactly answer the question !

After seeing a doco on fish farming of catfish Dory,on a huge scale, in Vietnam, in highly polluted water and fed with what looked like chicken pellets, I haven't eaten one since.

The fish farms on the Ping River south of town here would be a bit of a worry too I would imagine. I guess they are sold at the markets.Water quality in the Ping would be of questionable quality

My only purpose in kicking this off was to suggest a place that, to my taste, has great F & C. Did I claim to be a connoisseur,? No.

You've twice avoided posting the price, that means it's scary?

As other posters have stated, Gekko at 109bht is good enough and plenty on the plate.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1