What's the best used bikes in Thailand in terms of quality and value? Opinions please!

craigp

Your choices

Honda XR 250,... Don't know.

Kawasaki D-Trakker... the ones I have seen are a lot of money for what you get, if they have been off-road that means a lot more wear and tear.

Honda Steed 400... unreliable pretend HD and a pig to work on,

Honda CB 400... thirsty and trouble, so obviously cheap.

Yamaha SR 400... overpriced, most without green book and still overpriced and unless you are short you will look a dick. New they are over 250k+ baht, outrageous, buy one at that price and you will be a dick.

The new CB300f is on offer right now for 128k, nice bike.

Anyway you can get a 650 for that money, so SH it's a no brainer ER6n, or similar. There are plenty for sale, so prices will be good.

Disagree. You can easily get an SR in excellent condition for 65k. That's in the price range of a new crappy plastic scooter. How is that overpriced in any way?

Regarding the new one I have to agree...they could be cheaper.

Besides, the old SR will still be in production when most of these 'youngster bikes' will have faded into oblivion.

Long live the SR!! :-)))

You boys know much more than me, however...

Here are my concerns about the SR

1-I'll look like my dad.

2- The price (new)

3- It 'looks' small for a tall guy.

4- lack of performance?

1 and 2: you're either into classic/retro bikes or you're not. If you are, you will finally look as cool as your dad and you'll be happy to pay for the privilege.

3 and 4: test ride it

• Like 1

Here is my dissenting view on the SR 400.

While I can understand why some experienced riders like it based on their preferences in terms of style and rider experience for me it is just slow and expensive.

You only have to look at the SR's power to weight ratio of around 137 bhp per tonne to see that you are going to have a hard time at the traffic light drag with enthusiastically driven scooters. You are going to get axe murdered by the modded scooters and old two strokes.

New SRs are very expensive in today's market and secondhand SRs are pretty much guaranteed to have unsound registration papers.

Having read the OP's original post and considered the stated budget I would look at a secondhand ER6N or a CB500.

The CB500 is no rocketship but it has a power to weight ratio that is 75% better than the SR, there is better dealer support and it is a modern design that is well reviewed worldwide.

Your choices

Kawasaki D-Trakker... the ones I have seen are a lot of money for what you get, if they have been off-road that means a lot more wear and tear.

Yamaha SR 400... overpriced, most without green book and still overpriced and unless you are short you will look a dick. New they are over 250k+ baht, outrageous, buy one at that price and you will be a dick.

Anyway you can get a 650 for that money, so SH it's a no brainer ER6n, or similar. There are plenty for sale, so prices will be good.

Disagree. You can easily get an SR in excellent condition for 65k. That's in the price range of a new crappy plastic scooter. How is that overpriced in any way?

Besides, the old SR will still be in production when most of these 'youngster bikes' will have faded into oblivion.

65k for a fully legal SR?

Are you having a laugh?

• Like 1

I'd vote for an er6 too, good height and highly reliable, I had an er6f fault free and a friend has had his er6n since they were first released some years back and it is still perfectly fine, looks in great condition too considering it is left outside alot. Got a decent amount of power without being too much to handle for most novices (not sure on your level of experience). the do exist for under 150k too, although I much prefer the most recent model styling wise, so might be worth that bit extra.

Edited by B1ade

Your choices

Are you having a laugh?

Please read again, this time more carefully.

We were talking about SR without green books.

• Like 1

+1 for ER6.

SR400? Forget it man, I had the SR500 many years ago and it was a very nice bike back then. 33hp app. 150km/h, I think the SR400 is 22hp?

Still only kick start, <deleted>? You can buy a new Honda CB300n/f for much less and smoke the SR400 easily.

I do love retro bikes myself but they must be able to drag themselves over the mountains or what's the point.

Your choices

Are you having a laugh?

Please read again, this time more carefully.

We were talking about SR without green books.

This may sound dumb, and I apologise for that......Can a bike without a 'green book' be driven on the road legally? Why are there so many bikes for sale without 'green book's?' (Or even number plates........)

There are still many many bikes without green books around. It really depends on where you live. Places like Bangkok, Pattaya, Chonburi and Chiang Mai for example are stricter than other places.

That said, don't get a bike without book and save yourself the headaches.

To your question: it's nearly impossible to get an old bike registered, at least not if you do things by the book. And it's never cheap. A book for an SR for example costs around 30k.

• Like 1

Yesterday, I went to look at an ER6, I really liked it, but I felt too tall for it....

I've found a farang selling a BMW R1200GS. Yes, above my budget, but I like the look of it and my research shows great reviews.

Does anyone have any experience with these bikes?

Are parts/servicing going to be a problem?

There are plenty of Yamaha/Kawasaki/Honda dealerships where I live, but I've never seen a BMW dealership. (Chiang Rai)

Jesus!

Has anyone ever been asked for a 'warranty' payment before even going to see a bike.?!?!

(I smell a scam!)

be careful, did you see this bike on graigslist? if so be extra extra careful, There are some scammers about.

whatever you do before you buy a bike, make sure the bike has been properly checked and transferred into your name before paying anything.

how much do they want for the bmw ?

Bike still in brand new condition, no accidents. Oil change already done twice in BMW R1200GS Purchased in may 2013

Well serviced and taken care of, great bike - have to sell as I do not drive it around any more. 6,000 Kms.
Spot Lights
GSA Tall Windscreen
Stainless Sport and is in perfect condition 180,000

(He wants me to pay 20,000 before meeting him and he says he'll give me the money back after I look at the bike if I choose not to buy it!!!! Because he claims people have messed him and his wife about!! However, he hasn't yet stated how I am supposed to pay this without meeting him. I'm waiting for his next reply. He also told me if I'm not willing to pay the 'warrenty' payment I should forget it.......) Also, I guess the price is far to low for this bike, right?

Oh, I wish I could buy this for 180,000 THB!

Obvious scam, don't pay him nothing but mess with him, like you're really interested, piss him off, that's what I would do anyways.

These bikes brand new cost over 1 million baht I believe.

• Like 1

Bike still in brand new condition, no accidents. Oil change already done twice in BMW R1200GS Purchased in may 2013

Well serviced and taken care of, great bike - have to sell as I do not drive it around any more. 6,000 Kms.

Spot Lights

GSA Tall Windscreen

Stainless Sport and is in perfect condition 180,000

(He wants me to pay 20,000 before meeting him and he says he'll give me the money back after I look at the bike if I choose not to buy it!!!! Because he claims people have messed him and his wife about!! However, he hasn't yet stated how I am supposed to pay this without meeting him. I'm waiting for his next reply. He also told me if I'm not willing to pay the 'warrenty' payment I should forget it.......) Also, I guess the price is far to low for this bike, right?

this is obviously a scam, for one thing price should be a multiple of 180.000

sorry, but it seems you are a newby when it comes to bikes and especially bikes in Thailand, Do yourself a favour and just rent a couple of bikes first , make up your mind about what bike you want and then buy that bike .

Just forget about getting a bike that is not well established here because most likely you will end up with a grey import bike that does not have the correct paperwork.

Edited by pokerkid
  • Like 2

To add to that, no telephone number...email only and he has refused to talk to me on the telephone.

http://bangkok.craigslist.co.th/mcy/4780316446.html

Blatant scam@@!!! sad.png

He's given me a phone number.....I'll call him and see what's what.....

Get the guys ID and bank numbers and turn them over to the Nigerian scammers.

Just spoken to him. (Guess what, sounded like an Nigerian accent!) He want's to meet me in the car park of the local big C later today. . . .

Thanks for all your advice guys.

At the moment, in my mind the best all rounder for the money I want to spend (and the kind of guy I am/what I do etc)- The SR400 is in pole position, closely followed by the er6n. (Very contrasting bikes, to look at anyway, I've ridden neither yet)

However, I've narrowed it down to the two.(I think)

If I go for the D-tracker, I'll be disappointed with the lack of power and sore arse fairly quickly.

Great advice and thank you all for your help, when I finally decide (and have bought it), I'll give my review in this forum. biggrin.png

Go to Chiang Mai and rent the Er-6n!